Beers Law Lab
Background Information on Anesthesia
1. I have had to get Anesthesia injected on my knee and my back. The first time I needed Anesthesia was when I was taking a shower and I fell and hit the soap holder which was made of ceramic and I got cut on my back, which caused me to get 15 stitches. The second time was when I had to get 5 stitches.
2. Some characteristics about Anesthesia that are desirable are that it relives you from feeling pain. It would relieve the patient from moving while a doctor is doing surgery.
3. A characteristic that wouldn't be desirable about an Anesthesia is that the person must be very, very careful on how much a person needs
We used the Colorimeter to collect the absorbence of the different solution
Computer Set Up
The Computer set up helped us collect the data on the logger pro and also made a visual graph so we could see the different percentages of concentrations.
We used the curvettes as containers to put the solution in them so we could check the absorbance of each solution.
Computer Set Up
1. We connected the Colorimeter to the computer.
2. We then filled the cuvette 3/4 with the 0% sample.
3. We inserted the cuvette in the colorimeter.
4. We let the absorbance data stabilize before we could press 'keep'
5. After collecting the absorbance data we, in this example, type in 0%.
We repeated all these steps until we got to the last sample and then we pressed 'stop' so the logger pro would stop collecting data.
1. Yes the concentration of Aunt Elsa's anesthesia was too strong. I know this because we collected the absorbance of Aunt Elda's and it turned out to have .409 concentration. The amount that was recommended for her was .223. Which means Aunt Elda was given almost double the recommended concentration for her.
2.These caused her death because she was given double the concentration recommended for her. Which means she overdosed and died because of this reason.
3. Without Beer's Law I wouldn't have known how to find the concentration. It helped me see the amount off light that penetrated through Aunt Elda's solution.
Making a 40% solution
Lets say you have to make 10mL.
1. Measure 6 mL of a solvent.
2. Measure 4mL of a solute.
3. Add the 4 mL of solute to the 6 mL of solvent
This is how you would get a 40% solution.