Unit IV - Chapters 6, 8 & 10
Socialization, Parties & Interest Groups
Thursday/Friday, October 8-9
Tuesday/Wednesday, October 13/14 - Canvas Assignment Due!
Parents v. Seattle - Dillion, Sariah, Jessica, Claire
Gideon v. Wainwright- Kenny, Maddy, Taylor
Parents v. Seattle - Blaze, Bryson, Christian, Tony
Gideon v. Wainwright- Alexa, Danielle, Baylee, Tyler
Gideon v. Wainwright - Yanet, Hayden, Maria, Craig
Gideon v. Wainwright- Shelby Lee, Isabel, Kaylyn
Finish Public Opinion/Political Socialization Lesson:
Public Opinion and Political Socialization
Political Socialization Assignment Due on Canvas at midnight on Wednesday!
Monday, October 19
Discuss the Two-Party System and Third Parties
Read "The Decline of Collective Responsibility in American Politics" by Morris Fiorina
- Bring 1 page of notes (gets you into the discussion - 20 points)!
- You can use your notes on your quiz!
Guided Reading Questions:
1. How have strong party systems clarified politics for Americans?
2. Identify and explain two major political reforms of recent times that have drastically impacted the strength of our two-party system.
3. Cite examples of how the decline of our two-party system has impacted the party-in-electorate.
4. Cite examples of how the decline of our two-party system has impacted the party-in-government.
5. Identify and explain the three major consequences of the decline of collective responsibility by our political parties.
Tuesday/Wednesday, October 20-21
In-Class Reading Quiz - M. Fiorina "The Decline of Collective Responsibility in American Politics"
Unit IV Presentations
"The Decline of Collective Responsibility in American Politics" by Morris Fiorina
John, Brittany, Jericka, Zach
Gio, Tony, Ashley, Bailee
Jacquelyn, Carter, Chelsea, Vance
Sharita, Parker, Auburn
Interest Groups Discussion
- DIfferences between interest groups and political parties
- Major interest groups
- Who they back https://www.opensecrets.org/
- How lobbying works