May 18, 2020
A MESSAGE FROM THE PRINCIPAL
Dear Luther Burbank Families,
It’s hard to believe that we are heading into the final stretch of the school year with just about four weeks remaining of school and remote learning. Over the past several weeks, we have been working very hard to re-imagine end of year procedures, traditions, and grade level celebrations in an effort to recognize our students and the important milestones the middle school years represent, not to mention take care of all of the nuts and bolts! This has been a challenging process but a challenge that we have embraced with enthusiasm and a deep amount of care for our students and our greater school community. We continue to thank our students and families for their continued partnership and collaboration as we work through the uncharted landscape in which we find ourselves. Thank you!
In terms of nuts and bolts, this week’s update provides important information about the collection and drop-off schedule for student belongings. Please take a close look at this schedule and the related protocols. We thank you, in advance, for your adherence to both as we have developed a process to support everyone’s safety.
Yours in partnership,
NEW! Schedule! Curbside Pick Up of Student Locker Belongings
Beginning May 27th, all parents/guardians are asked to adhere to the schedule and protocol outlined below to collect their child’s locker belongings and return any items that students may have borrowed. Our schedule and process has been developed to limit the number of parents on campus and to support CDC guidance related to social distancing.
- 5/27 - Wednesday, 8-11 AM (LBMS only families with student last names, A-L)
- 5/28 - Thursday, 8-12 PM (LBMS/MRE shared families - only families who have students in attendance at both schools)
- 6/2 - Tuesday, 8-11 AM (LBMS only families with student last names, M-Z)
Process: We will use a non-contact curbside process. No parents/guardians/students will be allowed in the building. LBMS and MRE building administration will facilitate the curbside pick-up. All student locker belongings have already been bagged, labeled, and organized.
- Pack-up any items your child has borrowed from the school and needs to be returned. This includes all library books and textbooks. Place these items in a bag that is clearly labeled with your child’s first and last name and grade level. We will have a drop-off location for these items upon your arrival.
- Write your child’s first and last name and grade level on a piece of paper (bold/dark lettering) which can be viewed by us from your car window as you pull into the school parking lot. This will help us with efficiency!
- Please wear a mask.
- Adhere to the timeframe provided (above).
- Drive into the school parking lot and follow the signs which will direct to you the pick-up location on the front curbside of our school buildings. *Do not park. We will follow a curbside process pick-up/drop-off process.
- We will direct you forward to one of our pick-up/drop-off collection areas.
- Show the sign you have made with your child’s name/grade.
- We will place your child’s locker belonging bag on a table. At this time, you may get out of your car and take your child’s bag from the table AND drop off your child’s items to return on the cart located next to the table. One stop shopping!
- When pulling out of the curbside pick-up area, please be mindful of our parents pulling into the parking lot. Thank you!
- Unclaimed items will be kept until September at which time all unclaimed items will be donated.
A Note About Chromebooks
All returning LBMS students should keep their chromebooks through the remainder of this year and through the summer for continued use in the fall. Please be mindful of proper care of chromebooks through the summer weeks.
Any LBMS student not returning to LBMS in the fall, should expect to return his/her/ their chromebook on or by June 16th. More info to follow.
Any student entering NRHS as a freshman should keep his/her/their chromebook through the remainder of this year and through the summer for continued use in the fall. Please be mindful of proper care of chromebooks through the summer weeks.
Any 8th grader not attending NRHS in the fall should expect to return his/her/their chromebook on or by June 16th. More info to follow.
Remote Learning Assignment Overviews, Learning Plans, Weekly Announcement
This week’s Assignment Overviews and Learning Plans have been updated and can be accessed on our Remote Learning Site linked here. All lessons, activities, and resources can be located within each teacher's Google Classroom.
Here is this week’s Virtual Weekly Announcement. Students, please send your original American Flag artwork and photos of you showcasing a new skill, hobby, or talent. We look forward to sharing what you have submitted during an upcoming announcement!
Looking Ahead - Please be reminded that next week with Memorial Day, Learning Plans will be provided for Tuesday, May 27th - Friday, May 30th.
Opt-In Art Enrichment
Mrs. Slattery and Mrs. Lattimore are offering art enrichment classes for any interested students on Thursdays at 11:30. It’s “All About Art for Fun!” Students may access this opt-in enrichment art class by joining the special “Art for Fun” google classroom Mrs. Slattery has set up and announced to each class and grade level.
Advisory Begins Today, Monday, May 18th!
Remote Advisory begins today with our 8th grade. Ms. Lavine, Ms. Karlin, and Mrs. Perkins are hosting grade level advisory sessions each week for any interested students looking to see their peers and have a bit of fun! This is program is optional. Students can join through the link provided on their grade level Google Classroom.
Mondays, 12:30-1:00, 8th Grade
Tuesdays, 11:30-12:00, 7th Grade
Fridays, 11:00-11:30, 6th Grade
LBMS School Store - Open with Spring and Summer Merchandise
Our LBMS School Store has opened with lots of new SPRING and SUMMER merchandise. Check it out and show your school spirit! All proceeds will support our student activities fund. Go Lancers!
Please note: Shipping information on the site has been updated to reflect free shipping. Items will be shipped to the school and delivery arranged from there. If you have any questions about the school store please contact Judy Ursuliak at email@example.com.
The 2019-2020 Yearbook is now on sale and available to purchase!
PowerSchool and Parent Guardian Access to Google Classroom
For families wishing to monitor their child’s progress and completion of assignments during our remote learning plan, PowerSchool parent access may be utilized. For each class, simply click on T3 and select the [i] for each class. Teachers are indicating student completion of assignments using the following coding system: CP (complete), I (incomplete), 0 (not turned in).
For families wishing access to their child’s Google Classroom to view upcoming assignments, missed assignments, and announcements, Parent/Guardian Access to Google Classroom may be utilized. Parents wishing Google Classroom access should email Judy Ursuliak, firstname.lastname@example.org with their child’s name and the email address of the parent/guardian requesting access.
2020 Census -Your Response Matters! It’s Not Too Late!
A reminder to all of our Lancaster families to complete the 2020 Census if you have not already done so. It is not too late. Among other important aspects, responding to the census affects the amount of funding our community receives and ensures public services and funding for schools. In 2020, for the first time ever, the U.S. Census Bureau is accepting responses online. Responding should take minutes! Click here to complete the Census.