September Parent Newsletter
MJH 2020-2021 Theme: #TogetherWeWill
- 3: Parent Football meeting 5:00 cafeteria
- 4: Football pickup 4-7 p.m. - masks required
- 7: Labor Day Holiday
- 8: 7th and 8th graders back on campus
- 10: Progress reports go home today with student
- 10:Volleyball tryouts for 8th start today
- 10:PTO Meeting by Zoom 8:45 a.m.
- 11: Volleyball tryouts for 7th start today
- 15: Cheer practice 2:45-3:45
- 14: MJH School-wide fundraiser starts today
- 18: End of 1st 6 weeks
- 21: Volleyball practice all week until 4:15 p.m.
- 21: 2nd 6 weeks begins
- 22: Volleyball parent meeting 4:30 p.m. in cafeteria - masks required/Cheer practice
- 25: 1st report card goes home today with students
- 28: Volleyball practice all week until 4:15 p.m.
- 28: 7th football game away
- 29: 8th football game home at MHS Aux stadium
A Note from Mrs. Chapman
It's an exciting time at MJH with our 6th graders now on campus and our 7th and 8th graders arriving back September 8. The campus just wasn't the same without the sounds of our students around our campus. As we celebrate our students being back with us, we also recognize that these are trying times for many of our families, and our students need support from both the home and school. Please know that we are here for our students, and we thank you for your patience and understanding as we have been adjusting, like you, to the drastic changes we have had to make to all facets of the school day and school year. We will continue to make decisions daily that are in the best interest of our students to ensure their safety and leave you with a peace of mind while they are in our care. In addition, our district will continue to adhere to the CDC and TEA health and safety guidelines for our schools to keep our students' health and safety our top priority.
As we recommence our school year, we will also continue to keep a “growth mindset”. We believe a growth mindset unlocks our ability to learn and grow especially during challenging times. Little did we know how important a growth mindset would be for all of us this year! Because of this experience and our growth mindset, I believe we all will be stronger when we come out on the other side of the COVID-19 Pandemic! History is being written! We hold the pen! Together, we will write the BEST story for our children! #TogetherWeWill
- Remember to be sure to visit our campus website regularly for updated information at www.misd.org - schools - Montgomery Junior HIgh
A Note from our Counselors
The Counselor's Corner
Our Counseling Team is committed to helping our families while our students are learning on campus or from home. We will be posting assistance resources and counseling information on our Counselor's Corner webpage throughout the school year. We are also here to provide all of our students counseling services in person, through email or individual ZOOM meetings when needed. Please don't hesitate to reach out to us using our contact information below:
Barbara Gagliano: Students with last names A-K
Tressie Stewart-Students with last names L-Z
Counselors September Care Tip:
5 Tips to Help Cope with STRESS
- Get some ZZZs- Getting enough sleep helps you grow & develop, pay attention, and maintain overall health.
- Focus on Your Strengths- Take lime to think and write about things you are good at that are also good for you. Find ways to spend more time engaging in these activities to help keep your stressors in perspective.
- Do Things that Make You Happy- Incorporate things that make you happy in your daily life to keep a positive outlook.
- Engage in Physical Activity -Exercise takes our mind off stressful things and releases chemicals in our brain that naturally make us feel better.
- Talk to Someone- It can be hard to manage stress alone. Talk to a parent, teacher, counselor, or other adult you trust about your problems to find best solutions and other ways to manage your stress.
5 CHARACTER TRAITS: B.E.A.R.S #wearethebears
A Note from the Librarian:
Library curbside book pickup is up and running. Please call or email Mrs. Smith (936-276-3367 or firstname.lastname@example.org) to check out books.
Book clubs and the Harry Potter club will begin in mid-September. Please watch the school website for more information.
RETURNING LIBRARY BOOKS:
· Librarian: Shelley Smith
· Office #: 936-276-3367
A Note from our Registrar:
A Note from our Nurse:
Below you will find the new MISD Clinic guidelines for medications.
Parents, you will need to make an appointment to bring any medication for your child to the clinic. This will be done curbside only as parents are being limited into the clinics. If you need a medication form, Mrs. Buckner will email it to you prior to bringing the medication in. Any medications used to treat symptoms consistent with COVID-19 such as cough, shortness of breath, headache, sore throat, and body aches will not be administered without a current healthcare provider’s note. This would include metered dose inhalers, cough and cold medications , acetaminophen (Tylenol), and ibuprofen (Motrin). At this time, nebulized medications will not be administered during the school day. Exception to these medications is if a Medical Diagnosis is on file from a physician for Migraines, stomach issues, etc... A Dr. note is NOT required for cramping/menstrual medication such as Midol and Pamperin as this is not a COVID symptom.
As for inhalers, the CDC is highly recommending a spacer be used when administering the medication as this significantly decreases the particles expelled. The students will also be asked to step outside their classroom to self-administer their inhaler.
Thank you for helping us keep our students and staff safe.
STUDENT WATER BOTTLES
MJH STUDENT COUNCIL
Fall Sports Information - starting Sept. 8
JR HIGH SPORTS WILL BEGIN SEPT. 8
- Cross Country: For questions, please contact email@example.com
- Volleyball: For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Football parent meeting -
September 3 - 5pm in cafeteria (must wear a mask to attend)Football equipment pickup - September 4
(8th grade: 4:00-5:30pm), (7th grade: 5:30-7:00pm) MJH Small gym
*Must wear mask/face covering, parents must wait in cafeteria
Athlete Physical, RankOne online forms, and MISD Student-Athlete Parent Handbook receipt -due September 8. Go to MJH Boys Athletics website for help and instructions for completion.
- COVID-19 Athletic procedures, practice/game calendars, Remind class codes, and more information located on the MJH Boys Athletic website.
All athletes MUST be eligible by September 8th. Eligibility includes having a physical turned in, and completing all online Rank One forms. Specific instructions are on the girl's athletics website. Please scan and email completed physicals to email@example.com.
Volleyball tryout calendar and all volleyball tryout information are also on the girl's athletics website.
- All athletes will be required to wear a mask (neck gaiters are recommended) while in athletics, unless they are actively working out or in a drill.
- All athletes need to bring a clear water bottle with their name on it to athletics/practices daily. Water fountains will not be available for athletes.
- Girls Athletics website: http://schools.misd.org/page/laurenhightower-mjhgirlsathletics
Washington D.C./Williamsburg Trip for 8th graders!
MISD has an easy online way for you to keep your child’s account. Go to the MISD webpage and click on the left tab “Child Nutrition Info”. Then click “MySchoolBucks.com.”
Parents will be encouraged to make prepayments on students’ accounts using my school bucks, cash or checks to avoid cash transactions during meal service.
At this time and until further notice, MISD campuses are closed to lunch visitors. In addition, students are not allowed to have lunch delivered to the campus. Deliveries to students including lunches will be limited and on an emergency basis only. Students forgetting lunches will be allowed to charge a meal in the cafeteria.
MJH Parent/Student Handbook
The Parent-Student Handbook will be available on the MJH website. We encourage you to become familiar with the information contained in the handbook. Forms such as Release of Picture/Directory Information, Medication for the Nurse, Change of Address/Phone Number, and Technology Agreement are found at the back of the Handbook.
Most textbooks will either be available online or issued for at-home use. Books that are issued for at-home use will not have to be carried to and from school. Students can check out a textbook for home through the AP office. Backpacks are optional. No rolling backpacks unless under doctor orders.
We ask that you make every effort to request transportation changes prior to 1:30 p.m. in order for us to be certain that your student leaves in the correct manner. You may make changes by:
1. Sending a note with your child;
2. Faxing with a photo of your I.D. to 936-276-3301. Please include your student’s first & last name on any change. Emails or texts to teachers, phone calls to the front desk, and student-relayed messages are not requests that we honor for safety reasons.
· MJH CAR RIDER LINE/BUS POLICY
Due to the continued growth of MISD, we will no longer allow extra riders to ride the bus routes. Only registered riders will be allowed on the bus routes. We highly encourage students to car-pool to school due to the high volume of traffic and limited parking during the morning hours.
Join Our MJH PTO
The membership form is online on our campus website. Family membership is $10.00. Our PTO eNews will keep you informed with the most current information that MJH has to offer regarding upcoming events, student opportunities, club news, deadlines, volunteer opportunities, and accomplishments at Montgomery Junior High School. Be sure to check out our PTO Facebook page.
Once we are back on campus, one of the many strengths of MJH is the large number of students involved in co-curricular activities. Students who become involved in the school broaden their experiences and increase their enjoyment of junior high school. Whether it is athletics, theatre, music, student council or the many clubs we offer, we encourage your student to participate in one or more student activities.
You can find more information on our co-curricular activities on our campus website under the extra-curricular/clubs tab.
Montgomery Junior High School
Home of the Bears: #TogetherWeWill
To see all the great things happening at MJH
Follow us on Twitter @mjhsbears and Instagram (mjhsbears)
Follow our PTO on Facebook @ PTO Montgomery Junior High