The Panther Post
September 18, 2023 Volume 63
Please visit our DMS website at https://www.madisoncity.k12.al.us/discovery for ALL things DMS.
* DECAB rotation schedule for week 8, 9/18-9/22
* Advisory schedule Tuesday, September 19th
* Check student backpacks and other belongings for items that do not belong on school grounds (see MCS code of conduct)
* Parents can pay fees online by clicking DMS fee payment on our website or they can bring a check or cash to the front office between 8:30-11:30
* We have met our 1st PTA fundraising goal, so students can wear a HAT on Friday, September 22
* DMS behavioral incentive/ledger party will be Monday, Sept 25
* 9/18 - 6 week progress report available in PowerSchool
* 9/29 - 1st 9 weeks ends
* 10/2-10/6 - FALL BREAK!!...NO SCHOOL!!
* 10/11 - Collaborative 1/2 day (students dismiss at 12:15 pm)
Girls Basketball Tryouts
Tryouts for the girl's basketball teams will take place September 18-19 from 3:30 - 5:30 in the DMS gym. Girls in the 7th and 8th grade need to have a current physical to tryout and should also complete the interest form. 6th graders interested in being a manager should also complete the form.
For any questiions regarding tryouts please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Bob Jones Golf Tryouts
Students must have a current physical and should bring clubs, water, and enough money to cover range balls. Playing experience is preferred but not required. Please complete the google form if interested.
Contact Coach Cory Wright by email at email@example.com if you have any questions or to schedule a time slot.
Girls' Golf Google Form Sign-Up Link
BJHS JV Girls Cross Country
Scholastic Book Fair
We will host a family night at the book fair on Thursday, September 21 from 5:30-7:00. Families are encouraged to attend.
National Junior Honor Society
DMS 8th graders interested in joining National Junior Honor Society need to complete the online interest form no later than Wednesday, September 20th.
After the interest form closes, grades from the student's 7th grade year will be calculated. Those with a 90% average or higher will be contacted via MCS email with a National Junior Honor Society application by the end of the day Monday, September 25th.**
**Please note that completing the interest form is NOT the same thing as completing the official application. Applications for qualifying candidates will be emailed on Monday, September 25th.
BJHS Mini Dance Camp
My name is Suzi Mock and I am the dance team coach at Bob Jones High School. The BJHS dance team is hosting a Dance Camp on Saturday September 23rd at Bob Jones for dancers Kindergarten through 8th grade. We would love to get the word out to your students about this camp and we're wondering what the best way to do that would be. Whether it is to make physical flyers and bring them to your school or send the digital file of the flyers to you so it could go out in a teacher email, I'm not too sure. I'd love your input but I already attached the digital flyer in case that helps.
Also, last spring semester we had a few girls assist with carline at the elementary schools and would love to have them assist again if possible. With the dance team performing the majority during the fall football season, I think it would be fun for all students involved. I know it puts a smile on the dance team's faces along with the younger students!
I look forward to hearing from you soon!
- Please ensure that your students adhere to the dress code. All clothing must meet appropriate guidelines as noted in the DMS Student Handbook and MCS Code of Conduct. Also, students may bring a jacket or sweater if they are cold; however, blankets and stuffed animals are not allowed as a cover at school.
- Attendance is very important. Please be sure to send absence notes to firstname.lastname@example.org whenever your student is absent from school.
- Students should arrive to class on time and be in their seats when the tardy bell rings.
- For morning drop off and afternoon dismissal, parking in the front northeast lot or in the loop at the front office will soon require a clearly marked parking pass. Those without this pass are asked to use the car line. Thanks to everyone for using the car line unless you have an "approved reason" from the DMS administration. Approved reasons are for SRO, medical/emergency, special needs, late arrival, etc. We are working for the safety of all of our students and staff at DMS. Thank you for your continued support!
Lost and Found
- Please encourage your students to check the DMS Lost & Found near the front office if they have misplaced any items.
- The Lost and Found will be cleared out on the first day of each month and unclaimed items will be donated to a worthy cause.
The DMS PTA's No Hassle Fundraiser is off to a great start! Thank you to everyone that has donated so far! We have already reached our first goal of $5,000, and the students have earned a hat day! Our next goal is $10,000 - with a reward of PJ day! Would you like to support Discovery Middle School without having to buy anything, sell anything, ask for pledges or volunteer? If so, this is the fundraiser for you! Help us reach our fundraising goals this year and our students will be treated to some fun days at school along the way (plus we can accomplish our big plans for the year!). Check out our Fundraising Wishlist to see some of what we hope to accomplish this year.Donate online
Download Printable form
Reflections begins on September 20th! Each year, over 300,000 students nationwide in Pre-K through Grade 12 create original works of art in response to a student-selected theme. Winners at the district level move on to the Alabama and then National contests and may win college scholarships. This year's theme was submitted by Alice Meko of Hampton Cove Elementary School. With six different categories there is something for everyone. We look forward to your interpretation of "I am Hopeful Because…". Submissions are accepted from September 20th to October 20th. Visit the Reflections website for more info.
The DMS fall Book Fair is September 18th - 22nd. Volunteers are needed! Please sign up if you are able.
Have you linked your Kroger account to the Discovery Middle School PTA? The Kroger Community Rewards program makes fundraising easy by donating to local organizations based on the shopping you do every day. Once you link your Kroger Rewards Card to an organization, all you have to do is shop at Kroger and swipe your Shopper’s Card, and Kroger will donate a portion of your total to the organization of your choice. Your price stays the same.
If you haven't purchased your membership yet, please consider joining today. Who can join the DMS PTA? Everyone! Families, teachers, administrators, staff, grandparents, aunts, uncles, friends, even businesses can join the PTA. The number one reason to join the Parent Teacher Association is to benefit your child. In doing so, you also help your school. Thank you to everyone that has joined for the 2023/2024 school year!