Hawk Eye News
Henderson Weekly Newsletter
April 11, 2016
Commit to Excellence- Distraction Control
How do we keep distractions under control at this time of year? With spring activities, warmer weather, EOY school activities, and planning summer vacations (just to name a few) distractions are all around us! If we are struggling with distractions just imagine how difficult it is for our students. We have to model how to remain focused and goal oriented through the end of the year. Keep these things in play:
- Continue with goal setting (keep students focused)
- Maximize every minute (down time or lingering at recess or lunch is a recipe for misbehavior)
- Keep structures and routines consistent
- Maintain high expectations until the very last day (take care of the little things before they become big things)
- Keep CKH and CD going strong (these are the foundations of positive behavior plan)
We've got this!
Believe in yourselves! Believe in your kids! I believe in you!
K-2 are DRA testing early. However, you are able to retest your below kiddos one more time to see if they will meet the required level towards the end of May.
- Lights out
- Doors closed and locked
- Blinds closed
- Barracade door with desks or chairs
- Keep kids quiet and hidden from sight
- Do not open the door for anyone
What if an emergency happens when your class is on the playground? Our guidelines state that students should be trained that a two whistle blow is to take a knee and a one whistle blow is to line up. Please make sure to be practicing this procedure if you have not already.
Summer PD/TED Days
CKH and Conscious Discipline
- Safe place
- Everyone has a classroom job
- Greeting and farewell each day
- Friends and Family Board
- Visual Schedule
- Good Things
- 4 questions (or questions when a child makes a poor choice/does not have to be specifically those 4 questions)
- Grow the group activities (are your kids bickering? you may want to throw some of these activities in)
All pieces are crucial. Teachers who struggle with management are often leaving some of these details out. These work together to make for a classroom family that functions well together.
Thank you to Mr. R. for his willingness to be pied in the face!
Thank you to Mrs. Garza and Mr. R for their willingness to help out at the front desk! They did a fabulous job!
- Absent? It is your responsibility to put that absence into Aesop. Please visit with Linda Lopez if you are unsure how to do this.
- If you are certified staff, please plan on attending the Technology Lunch and Learn on either Tuesday or Thursday. Please register before attending.
- Wednesdays tutoring is until 4:45pm. This allows time for parents to pick students up. (Please do NOT schedule appointments during this time. Wednesdays should continue to be held as a committed time to school)
- Pay to wear jeans with your Relay shirt on Wednesdays to raise funds for Relay for Life!
- Please join our team. Search Relay for Life Brazos County. Then join the Henderson Hawks!
Mark Your Calendar!
12 Technology Lunch and Learn
13 Winning Wednesday tutoring
14 Technology Lunch and Learn
18 Gonzalez baby shower
19 Taco Casa Spirit Day
20 Winning Wednesday tutoring
22 Awards/Games Galore
Mays Business School Field Day for K-2 @ 12:30-3:00
K-2 Mays Business School Field Day 12-3
27 Winning Wednesday tutoring
6-7 Relay for Life!!
9 STAAR Math 3rd & 4th (5th makeups)
10 STAAR Reading 3rd & 4th (5th makeups)
11 STAAR Science 5th
12 Transition to Kinder Parent Meeting 6-7
16 Rossman baby shower
19 5th grade track meet
20 Henderson Career Day
24 Henderson McTeacher Night
27 Field Day