Poway High School Newsletter - September 24, 2017
Sept 23 PSAT Prep Live sponsored by PHS PTSA. This is a free prep program. See additional info below.
Sept 26 Financial Aid Night in the PCPA @6PM
Sept 29 Staff Development—no school
Oct 5 Family College & Career Night in the PCPA @6PM 9-11 grade students & parents are encouraged to attend.
Oct 6 Six wk Progress Grades
Oct 7 SAT Testing
Oct 7 Homecoming Dance @ PHS GYM
Oct 11 PSAT Testing
Oct 12 UC Workshop for seniors in the Titan Center during student lunch
Oct 14 PHS Parents' Night Out @ Second Chance in CMR from 7-11PM sponsored by PHS Foundation
Oct 18 PUSD College & Career Fair @ RB High 6-8:30 PM flyer
Oct 19 CSU Workshop for seniors in the Titan Center during student lunch
Oct 26 Palomar College Workshop for seniors in the Titan Center during student lunch
Nov 3 Titan Times
Nov 4 SAT Testing
Nov 10 Veterans’ Day—no school
Nov 17 End of Trimester One
Nov 20-24 Thanksgiving Break
Dec 25-Jan5 Winter Break
Jan 8 Return from Winter Break
Jan 15 Martin Luther King Jr. Day—no school
Jan 19 Six wk Progress Grades
Feb 2 Staff Development—no school
Feb 19-23 February Break
Mar 9 End of Trimester 2
Apr 9-14 Spring Break
Apr 27 Six wk Progress Grades
May 5 SAT Testing
May 7-18 AP Testing
May 19 Prom
May 28 Memorial Day—no school
June 2 SAT Testing
Jun 12 Senior Breakfast
June 13 Senior Picnic
June 14 Graduation & Last Day of School
This Week's Highlights
PSAT LIVE PREP PROGRAM, sponsored by PHS PTSA. the live prep program is available to students online. Sign up now and gain instant access to quizzes and practice tests for the PSAT. Then join us beginning September 23 for live lessons. Get free prep at www.kaptest.com/ psatpreplive
FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 29, IS A NON-STUDENT DAY.
PSAT: Wednesday, October 11, 7:30 AM Deadline to register is Wednesday, October 4. All 10th graders are already registered and will take the PSAT at no charge. 9th and 11th graders must register and pay in order to take the test. The cost is $18 payable online, or at the Finance Office during break or lunch. Check (payable to Poway High School), cash or credit card accepted at the Finance Office. If registering online, only credit cards are accepted. Go to PHS website at www.powayusd.com/pusdphs. Click on Titans Payments Webstore at the bottom of the page. ON TEST DAY you must have: photo ID and two #2 pencils; a 4 function calculator is recommended.
What I Wish My Parents Knew - Join other parents in gaining insights about: Communicating with your teen, establishing guardrails, handling academic pressure, drugs & alcohol, managing social media, depression & suicide, and balancing commitments. When: Tuesday, Sept. 19 Where: Mt. Carmel HS When: 6:30-8:45 PM
Lockers - Campus Security will issue lockers during break and lunch. Students must have a lock before a locker is issued. Locks my be purchased in the Finance Office.
THE IMPORTANCE OF SCHOOL ATTENDANCE
Did you know that children can suffer academically if they miss 10 percent of the school year? That’s just 18 days or 2 or 3 days a month. That can add up before you know it. This September we are celebrating Attendance Awareness Month with a renewed push to get all students to school on-time, every day. Research shows us that absences add up. That’s as true for kindergarteners as it is for 12th graders. We know there will be days when your student will miss school, especially when they’re sick. Nationwide as many as 7.5 million students miss 10 percent of the school year. That’s 135 million days of missed school and missed learning opportunities. Research shows us that it marks the point when students begin to fall behind academically because they have missed too many days.
So this September, for Attendance Awareness Month, let’s work together as a community – school, parents, and students to attend school on-time, every day.
Community Service and Upcoming Volunteer Opportunities
Some upcoming community service opportunities can be found on the Student Services Website.
A - Er: Christy Brown
Es - La: Jerrah Smith
Le - Ra: Blanca Arreguin
Re - Z: Jerilyn Padua-Reyes
Student Services: Traci Barker-Ball
Counselors will begin visiting Senior Homerooms starting next week to review the college application and letter of recommendation process. For more information on the LOR process please click the link below:
Financial Aid Night will be held Tuesday, September 26, at 6PM in the PCPA. This presentation will be hosted by UCSD. Seniors and parents are encouraged to attend.
Family College & Career Night will be held Thursday, October 5, at 6PM in the PCPA. Grades 9-11 and their parents are encouraged to attend.
UC Workshop will be held Thursday, October 12, during lunch for senior students in the Titan Center. This presentation will be hosted by UCSD.
CSU Workshop will be held Thursday, October 19, during lunch for senior students in the Titan Center. This presentation will be hosted by SDSU.
Palomar Workshop will be held Thursday, October 26, during lunch for senior students in the Titan Center. This presentation will be hosted by Palomar Community College.
TRANSCRIPTS: You can order transcripts on our website through Parchment. Select Transcripts under the Academics tab.
Student Tutor Applications Available! If you are qualified and would like to earn money tutoring fellow students, please pick up a Paid Student Tutor application in the Counseling Office. You will be required to have a teacher recommendation for each subject area you wish to tutor and a parent signature. The deadline to apply is Wednesday, September 21.
Free Tutoring/Study Aids
There are many free options for working to improve your grades and test scores. These are just some of the great resources we have:
Student Tutoring in the Library
Peer Tutoring will be available after school Monday-Thursday in the PHS Library. This service is free for all students. If you need extra help in a specific class come check it out!
SAT/ACT Test Prep
The PHS Library offers access to an excellent study tool through Gale's TERC (Testing & Education Reference Center). They offer personalized online courses for the SAT and ACT, as well as several practice tests and online study books. Access is available through the PHS Library website with the username: powayhs and password: titans17
College Board and Khan Academy have teamed up to help students prepare for their SATs. Once a student has taken the PSAT, they are able to utilize these tools via their College Board accounts. Students can look at their PSAT results and find specific study tools and evaluations for how to improve their skills. There are also video lessons, full-length practice tests, and personalized study plans.
SAT Test Dates:
Oct. 7 register by Sept. 8 late registration by Sept. 27
Nov. 4 register by Oct. 5 late registration by Oct. 25
To register or for more information visit the following link: https://www.collegeboard.org/
ACT Test Date
Oct. 28 register by Sept .22 late registration Sept. 23 - Oct. 6
Dec. 9 register by Nov. 3 late registration Nov. 4-17
To register visit ACT Student . If you have any questions regarding testing see your counselor.
Most 4-year colleges accept SAT/ACT test scores through the December test date in your Senior year. Some colleges have earlier deadlines, so verify your college's deadlines.
All colleges will utilize your highest score, whether that is from the SAT or ACT.
The UC System will utilize your highest test score from a single test date, while the CSU system will "super score," taking your highest section scores even if they come from multiple testing dates to create an overall highest score.
It is recommended to try BOTH the SAT and ACT as the tests vary.
Most Juniors consider taking the SAT and/or ACT for the first time during the spring of Junior year.
· Parking Permits are ONLY sold on Mondays after school at the Finance window. All students must attend a Start Smart Driving program before purchasing a permit. Bring vehicle registration, driver’s license and $10. A schedule of Start Smart classes for 2016-17 school year is on the Poway High website.
· FRONT DESK POLICY: Due to the liability, volume and the value of various personal effects, we no longer accept items to be picked up by or delivered to students. Items include lunches, beverages, phones, money, birthday items, homework, clothing, or pizza deliveries. We appreciate your understanding and cooperation.
· Students must have permission to leave campus at lunch. Parents must come to Poway High in person with a photo ID to approve an off campus pass for their student.
· Campus Security will be issuing street lockers during break and lunch for the remainder of the school year. Students must have a lock before a locker is issued. Locks may be purchased at the Finance window.
· ATTENDANCE: Parents you can now email us at email@example.com each day your child is absent or tardy. Please be aware that only your valid PUSD registered email will be accepted to clear any absences or tardies or you may call the absence hotline at 748-7016 and follow the instructions. **ALL ABSENCES MUST BE CLEARED WITHIN 24 HOURS. Off Campus Passes still need to be called into the Absence Hotline at 858-748-0245 X5113, 24 HOURS IN ADVANCE. If requesting an off-campus pass for your student to leave campus the same day, you must come to the attendance window with your ID to check your student out. Please allow ample time for the pass to be delivered to the class. Any absence which occurs as a result of leaving campus without a pass cannot be excused by a parent. Students must check back in with the attendance office when they return to school. Once your child has received a detention for an unexcused absence, it will not be rescinded. *If your child is absent due to medical reasons or appointment, please provide a medical note. PLEASE NOTE: Emergency Contacts – those are for a school’s emergency only. Emergency contacts listed for your student do not have permission to check a student out unless parent approves or a true emergency.
PTSA NEEDS YOU! Please join the PTSA and support our students at Poway High! Anyone can join – parents, neighbors, grandparents, aunts, uncles, community members, etc.! Support the needs of our students and staff. Membership is $10.50 per adult and $7 per student. Visit http://powayptsa.org and click the “join” tab at the top. It’s quick and easy and will help PHS tremendously!
Our meetings are held Wednesdays at 4:30 PM in B-1 on the following dates:
Sept 12 Oct 10 Nov 14 Dec 12 Jan 9
Feb 13 Mar 13 Apr 17 May 8 Jun 12