Friday, March 23, 2018
Thoughts from Mrs. Lewis....
Benchmark books are only available for review from March 26- March 28. All books must be returned on the March 28, as they are due back to central office.
Awards invitations will be available in the mailroom. Please pick up invitations to place in report cards to go home on Wednesday, March 28.Homeroom teachers are responsible for placing invitations in the report card of students in your homeroom and for Elective teachers, too.
- Due to planning days and subs, we will postpone the Benchmark Ice Cream Party until Wednesday, March 28th during lunch shifts.
- Please find the attached reminders about changes to our Awards Program…Remember...
· -1st and 2nd Nine Week A and A/B Honor Roll students will be recognized at their seats (They will not come up to the podium.) Homeroom teachers will give our certificates in homeroom the morning of the awards program and students will bring to the assembly.
· -Perfect attendance students will receive certificates in homeroom and will be recognized by standing at their seats. Students will bring their certificate to the awards assembly. (They will not come up to the podium).
· - 6 – 8th grade A and A/B Honor Roll students for the 3rd Nine weeks will line up before the assembly and sit together at the awards program. Elective teachers will retrieve students from homeroom classes on the morning of the program.
- Please find in your box the new schedule for after Spring Break. Tutoring will be held at the end of the day. Please ensure that this is well planned and specific to student needs. The tutoring google doc must be updated weekly with student names and standards.
- EOG materials should arrive after break for both Reading and Math EOG subjects.
- Please welcome Mrs. Brandi Smith. She is the new tutor for 8th grade science. Her classroom is located across from Mr. Gallagher’s classroom. Please reserve this room for her tutoring groups only.
- Beginning after Spring Break, all tested subjects EOG/EOC/NC Final exams, need to prepare a 5 – 7 question EOG type assessment each week. Results should be submitted to Mrs. Lewis by the Monday of the following week.
- Prom tickets will go on sale beginning after Spring Break during 8th grade lunch through May 10th.
- The link for of the years will be coming out this week and/or the week after Spring Break. I look forward to celebrating very deserving staff members in the coming weeks.
- There will be a parent meeting for rising 7th and 8th grade students on Tuesday, April 10th at 6pm. The grade level chair is responsible for ensuring a rep from each team is present at the meeting.
- Please know that parent phone calls should not still be coming in about Powerschool not being updated. It is a district and school expectation that Powerschool is updated weekly. Also, be sure that you are making phone calls to keep parents updated about their child’s grades and returning work so that students have timely feedback.
- April 10 – Rising 7/8 Parent Registration Night 6:00pm (A representative from each team should be present at the meeting for both 6th and 7th grade).
- Staff, please be reminded that Thursday, March 29th is our Awards Assembly. Please dress for the occasion, even though I know this is technically our “Friday”. Feel free to bring a change of clothes.
- REFRIGERATOR – Staff, be sure to remove any food and/or containers from the fridge before going home for Easter Break. Both refrigerators will be cleaned out over break.
- April 26 – Mark your calendars – We will host an EOG Parent Fair beginning at 6:30.
- For Thursday, March 29, we will follow the 2 hour delay schedule. 8th grade will not have Electives. 6th Grade students will be dismissed from Electives about 2:10 and 6th grade teachers will take their own students to the assembly. Elective teachers will help out with the assembly and supervise students during the variety show.
- A list will go out on Thursday morning of those students that are ineligible to attend the Variety Show (NO ISS / OSS). Please make arrangements for those students to have supervision. You may want to leave at least 2 teachers back, per grade level, to spread out behaviors.
- Future Dates
Summer school dates - June 11 - 15
Summer Bridge Dates for rising 9th graders - August 14-16
Curriculum Review Week - June 18-22
BT Orientation - August 13-17
Facilitator Week - July 16-18
Leadership Retreat - July 30, July 31, August 1
-August 22, Wednesday, 2 - 7 p.m., for middle schools, Shaw & 9th graders
-August 23, Thursday, 2 - 7 p.m., for 10th - 12th graders (SHS)
-August 23, Thursday, 4 - 7 p.m. for elementary
- Staff Mark your Calendars (Required) - TECHCON 2018 will be on May 11 from 1p-4p This will be a half day PD specifically designed to share user DTL strategies for end-of-year review.
- Registration Parent Nights (Rising 7th and 8th graders)
Course Guides are presented to parents and students for review.April 10 - Spring Hill
- · Registration Week (Rising 7th and 8th graders)
April 16-20 - Registration Forms - due April 20
- · Registration Parent Nights (Rising 6th graders)
Course Guides are presented to parents and students for review -April 26, 5:30pm
- Rising 6th graders visit middle schools, April 25
See Something Say Something PSA - Google video: https://photos.app.goo.gl/LPjPr76vZrnddimp2
See Something Say Something PSA - YouTube: https://youtu.be/Gqi3LX7tJWY
CTE Newsletter: See our students in action! https://www.smore.com/qapg4
March Mental Health Media: Newsletter is currently about Life/work balance
Leigh Carter is looking for someone to trade chairs. She has eight rolling chairs and would like to trade for stationery chairs. Please see her in Room 801.
EC Teachers (From Cabinet)- April 1 Headcount: Headcount rosters will be delivered to schools on Tuesday, March 13. It is very important that these rosters are correct and signed by the principal prior to March 29. Rosters will be picked up from your school on March 29 for review in the EC Office. If you have any questions, please let us know.
8th Grade Teachers: Please plan to attend the parent meeting for high school registration on Tuesday, March 27 at 6:30. Parents will be informed on registration requirements for the high school.
MODIFIED 2-Hour Delay Schedule
Spring Hill Middle School
2-Hour Delay Schedule (17 minutes)
· -Breakfast is served as usual.
· -The lunch schedule, below, should be followed.
· -Teams are responsible for creating a schedule for the day considering beginning and ending times.
- -8th grade will not have Electives.
- -6th grade students will return to class around 2:10 so that 6th grade teachers can take their own students to the assembly (for those students that can attend).
-Students will go back to their classes after the assembly to be dismissed.
8:30 – 9:00 Core
9:00 – 10:30 Awards
10:40 – 11:22 Lunch
11:22 – 1:15 Core
1:15 - 2:15 Electives
2:15 – 3:42 Core
8:30 – 9:00 Core
9:00 – 10:30 Awards
10:40 – 11:40 Electives
11:40 – 12:30 Core
12:30 – 1:15 Lunch
1:15 – 3:42 Core
8:30 – 9:00 Core
9:00 – 10:30 Awards
10:30 – 10:40 Homeroom
10:40 – 11:40 Core
11:40 – 12:25 Lunch
12:25 – 3:42 Core (No Electives)
10:40 – 11:40 7th Grade Electives
11:40 - 1:05 Lunch/Planning
1:15 – 2:15 6th Grade Electives
2:15 Supervise / Help with Assembly
Griswold / Salzlein
11:40 – 12:10
Houston / Vande Velde
11:45 – 12:15
Leak / Macy
11:50 – 12:20
Chavis / Hedgpeth
11:55 – 12:25
Best / Williams
10:40 – 11:10
Hasty / Henderson
10:43 – 11:13
Lawson / Quick
10:46 – 11:16
Blue / Francis
10:49 – 11:19
Eley / Johnson
10:52 – 11:22
Carter / Gore
12:33 – 1:03
Gallagher / Johnson
12:36 – 1:06
Oswald / Wedlock
12:40 – 1:10
Chevalier / Gross
12:45 – 1:15
Media Center News
- Student are able to request club changes by emailing Ms. Brayboy.
- 2nd semester club meetings: April 13, April 20.
- Make sure to put your attendance roster from club meetings in Ms. Brayboy's box so it can be corrected.
Media Center News
- Look at the picture above -- these are just a few of the new magazines that have been purchased for the Media Center to facilitate creative learning. Stop by and check them out!
Check out the district Tech Newsletter. Our very own Leigh Carter is featured. Good Job, Mrs. Carter! https://www.smore.com/nup0z
- If students communicate suicidal or homicidal intentions to you, your FIRST point of contact should be an administrator IMMEDIATELY.
- Core teachers: Planning days will be held on Monday, March 26 (ELA/SS) and Tuesday, March 27 (Science/Math) with Carver at Scotland High School. Audrey has already arranged your subs in AESOP. if you have any questions, please see Mrs. Lewis.
- Please be reminded that we will have our first ever 3rd Nine Weeks Awards Program on Thursday, March 29 at 9:00am in the gym. For those students who will be receiving an award (including new awards and A or A/B Honor Roll), please include an invitation to those students ONLY in their report card. Invitations will be available in the mail room. Elective teachers will send their award names to staff members through a Google Doc. Please ensure these students receive an invitation too. Names for certificates should be sent in a timely manner.
- Since we haven't done a great job with announcing the March 29th THE VOICE and Variety Show, the date to have no OSS and ISS will begin on Thursday, March 7th.
- Teachers, mark your calendars! We will need you for remediating and re-testing at the end of the year. Please make plans to be available to help out. We usually see HUGE gains in proficiency with strategic planning!!! (After EOGs and on the work days for retesting)
- The proposed EOY Testing Dates (Any feedback should be sent to Mrs. Lewis by Wed., March 13th)- Science 8 EOG: Friday, 5/25; Middle School NCFEs (Social Studies or Science): Tuesday, 5/29; 6-8 Reading EOG: Wednesday, 5/30; 6-8 Math EOG/MS Math I: Thursday, 5/31; Middle School NCFEs (Social Studies or Science): Friday, 6/1
- Are you entering grades weekly? This is a school and district expectation
Staff, we are headed into the home stretch. It is important that we tighten up on discipline and hold the fort down. Spring and the end of year is coming.
Utilizing your Canvas course container is an effective way to continue instruction during school closing or delays. If they have questions or need guidance, please direct them to either Kevin Combs or Candice Freeman for assistance.
Make sure to notify administration or Mrs. Fehlman when you suspect child abuse or neglect. See the agreement between SCS and DSS here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/11pVs4aMBIqUxqPBjfVgXJZtMOg9LaEzHGrc-ICsha-E/edit
IT is an expectation that planning takes place each week and that all teachers are present and all time. Even if you are 2 weeks ahead, planning should take place each week for the entire time.
Are you calling parents??? Make sure you are calling parents regarding attendance concerns (and document such). When we go to court, it helps when we can show ALL the contacts that have been made from the school (not just from PowerSchool letters and Social Worker contacts) (From Cabinet)]
Monday, March 26 - BB / SB Home 4:15pm; Benchmark Reward during lunches - Ice cream Sundaes; ELA/SS Planning Day @ Spring Hill
Tuesday, March 27 - Soccer Home 4:15pm; Math/Science Planning Day @ Spring Hill
Wednesday, March 28 – Report Cards Go Home
Thursday, March 29 – Third Nine Weeks Awards Program 9:00am; PBIS Variety Show 2:15pm; Soccer Away @ Sandy Grove 4:15pm
Friday, March 30 (Good Friday) thru Sunday, April 8- Spring Break (No School)