Alternative Energies :D
Alternative Energies: By Emma Kay and Priscila!
Advantages of Solar Energy
- Solar energy is infinite, and comes from the sun. (We all know the sun NEVER loses energy!
- You only have to clean Solar Panels about every 12 months. (Only a year!)
- You can build AMAZING things out of solar energy. Build it on top of your house to store energy? Check. Build a car out of it? Check. Build a plane out of it? Check! It can also be used to heat water, buildings, swimming pools, and make calculators work!
- It is a renewable energy source.
Disadvantages of Solar energy
- It can only be used for Sunny Environments. Sorry Canada!
- The sun doesn't shine all the time. (BUT- Solar Panels do store the energy, just like plants!)
- Different Birds and Insects can die by flying into the solar panels.
What Solar Panels Look Like
This picture shows that Solar Panels use sun energy, and need to be outside to work.
Where You Can Put Solar Panels
Solar Panels can go on top of roofs to give homes warm water, and different kinds of electricity!
The Sun Is What Solar Energy Is Made Of
Solar Energy = The Sun!
What Solar Panels Look Like
Where You Can Put Solar Panels
As we all know Geothermal energy is a alternative energy source that's referred to Earth's Natural Heat. This word comes from Geo being a Greek word for Earth and Thermal is another word for Heat. When you put those two together, it forms the word Geothermal! Here are a few reasons why you could use this energy source.
Lets learn some more about this energy!
A Geothermal Geyser In Action
A Geothermal Geyser Erupting!
Volcanoes Are Geothermal Too!
Believe it or not, Volcanoes are 100% Geothermal!
Geothermal Pools are naturally heated bodies of water that you can swim in even when it's freezing cold! Sometimes, there are Geothermal Pools that you aren't allowed to swim in if it's too hot!
Advantages of Geothermal Energy
- It's a natural resource.
- We use it already.
- The Earth has a lot of natural heat already.
- Everyone can use it!
- It is used to heat buildings.
- It produces Clean Energy!
- Due to Geothermal Energy, we have hot water!
Disadvantages of Geothermal Energy
- It's scorching hot!
- It could kill someone if they get too close.
- It takes time to form.
- It could kill animals.
- It costs 1-4 MILLION dollars each drill!
- This resource can only be formed in places that have Earthquakes and Volcanoes (Hawaii, or California!)
- They can take hundreds of years to develop!
- You can't just BUILD a Geothermal Power Plant somewhere.
- Pollution may occur due to Improper Drilling.
- It might run dry or lose steam.
- Geothermal Power Plants in the Philippines and Iceland contribute around 30% of their electricity production. In the USA it is less than 1%.
- Geothermal heating applications include industrial uses, heat pumps, space heating and bathing in hot springs.
- Humans have enjoyed Geothermal Energy in the form of hot springs for thousands of years.
Introduction to wind energy
Awesome! lets learn more about wind energy.
Wind turbines and what they look like!
Offshore Wind Turbines
Offshore Wind Turbines are wind turbines, except in the sea!
Wind Turbines Exploding!
Wind Turbines exploding! We never said they were the SAFEST alternative energy...
Advantages of Wind Energy
- They're easy to find. They're just about everywhere!
- Wind farms (Huge open spaces with tons of wind turbines)
- It's an easy way to generate electricity.
- It doesn't use many blades (2-3 blades)
- It doesn't cause pollution.
- They can be used in the sea!
Disadvantages of Wind Energy
- A wind turbine can cost way too much money. (Possibly up to millions of dollars)
- If a wind turbine gives too much or little energy it could cause a blackout!
- A wind turbine can get damaged if the wind is too strong.
- Wind turbine blades are HUGE! If one went flying off, so many things could get damaged. (Buildings, Cars, People)
Wind energy can power homes, buildings, and more! Windmills were used as early as 1000 BC. (Before Christ) Altamont Pass Wind Farm in California has more than 4,930 wind turbines!! (Normal wind farms can have the minimum of 5 turbines!)
Introduction to hydropower
Awesome! Lets learn some more about Hydropower.
- Water is a renewable energy source.
- Hydroelectric power is a domesticated source of energy, allowing each state to produce their own energy without being reliant on international fuel sources.
- You can control the water flow
- The water goes to nearby lakes/rivers
- Uses a LOT of concrete to build a dam. (The Hoover Dam used 4,360,000 cubic yards!!)
- The formation of large and huge dams destroy the living beings around them.
- Manufacturing and building a dam and installation of the turbines is very costly.
- Only areas that receive a good amount of rainfall will be able to use Hydroelectricity, since it needs a big reservoir.
- Dams and rivers collect water for the production of electricity which alters the natural system of water flow thus depriving houses of the water they need.
- Making dams on rivers affect the amount, quality, and temperature of water that flow in streams which has drastic effects on agriculture and drinking water.
- The water while flowing through the dam collects nitrogen which can damage and also kill fish.
Awesome! Lets learn more about Biomass!
- Biomass helps us get rid of trash in our environment.
- Biomass can also be made into gasoline.
- We often see things that can be made into Biomass.
- Biomass helps our enviorment to be cleaner.
- It can be dirty (It's been proved dirty by scientists.
- The smoke emits harmful elements responsible for Global Warming.
- Could cause pollution when used.
- Requires a lot of land to be built
What do WE think would benifet Justin Texas? By Priscila .M
Justin TX is a big place and a big place needs a reliable energy source. Solar energy. So after days of studying I found reasons why solar energy is the best for Justin Tx. AHEM let me present my case...
The first reason is you only have to clean a solar panel only ONCE a year (twelve months) so one less thing to care about.
The second reason is the sun has enough energy to last us a eternity so technically the suns energy wont be going anywhere anytime soon.
The third reason is the suns energy is completely free (and the sun it's self HURRAH a great deal) now if only I could say the same for solar panels.
Those are some of the reasons I think solar energy would benefit Justin Texas and make it a elated nature friendly place!!! (Written by Priscila .M).
What do we think is the WORST alternative energy source for Justin, Texas? By Emma Kay Owen
1. Geothermal energy will only happen in places with Earthquakes and Volcanoes (Like California and Hawaii.) We don't have Earthquakes and Volcanoes!
2. Compared to what we believe is the best alternative energy source (Solar Energy), it is very deadly. Geothermal Geysers are scorching, and could kill someone who gets too close. And we of course don't want that here!
3. Another way Geothermal Energy works, is it uses reservoirs, also knows as bodies of water. We have a few small lakes and streams, but that isn't necessarily enough to make Geothermal Energy.
So that's it! That's why I think that Geothermal Energy is the WORST alternative energy for Justin, Texas in 3 explanations! (Written By Emma Kay Owen!)
WEBSITES: answers.com conserve-energy-future.com Also credit to the rightful owners of ALL the photos