BACON - My Favorite Food!
By Shannon Hayes
Awesome Stuff About Bacon
- September 3rd is "International Bacon Day"
- Baconnaise is Vegetarian!
- Bacon is addictive; it contains six types of umami. Umami produces an addictive neurochemical response
- Each year in the US more than 1.7 billion lbs. of bacon are consumed in food service, which is equivalent to the weight of 8.5 Nimitz class aircraft carriers.
- Bacon cures hangovers
- 69% of all food service operators serve bacon
- There is a bust of Kevin Bacon made of bacon
- The price of pork bellies is the highest it has been since 1988
- Bacon is one of the oldest processed meats in history. The Chinese began salting pork bellies as early as 1500 B.C.
- Canadian Bacon is not really bacon, it is fully-cooked smoked pork loin
- Pregnant women should eat bacon. Choline, which is found in bacon, helps fetal brain development
- Bacon and eggs are eatten together 71% of the time
- Bacon appeals to males slightly more than females
- Bacon is consumed at breakfast an average of 12 times per person per year
- A 250 lb pig yields about 23 lbs of bacon
- Bacon accounts for 19% of all pork eaten in the home
- Bacon consumption occurs 59% during weekdays and 41% on the weekends
- People over the age of 34 make up most bacon consumption
- Bacon accounted for nearly half of breakfast meat serving volume
- More than half of all homes (53%) keep bacon on hand at all times