New England Colonies
Yasline F. Jamie K. Joey B. Ariel S.
~Why They Were Founded~
- Plymouth: Individuals were disagreeing with the Anglican Church and separated from it. Thus they were called Separatists.
- Massachusetts Bay: The puritans emigrated to the New World to freely practice their own religion. They espoused freedom of religion for other settlers.
- New Hampshire: This was a planned colony, it was granted to Captain John Mason. He had sent settlers to build a fishing colony.
- Connecticut: Colonist were moving into Connecticut, but it wasn't established as a colony until 1636.
- Rhode Island: Roger Williams was banished from the Massachusetts Bay Colony. For his beliefs of separation of church and state as well as freedom of religion.
The Year They Were Founded, and Who Founded It
Massachusetts Bay Colony
Massachusetts Bay: John Winthrop; 1630
Connecticut Colony : Thomas Hooker; 1636
Colony of Rhode Island and Providence
Rhode Island: Roger Williams; 1636
- Has many several bays. As seen in the name of the colony.
- Has very cold winters, and warm summers.
- Fertile land.
- Rich pasture.
- Used sea to make a living.
- Warm summers and cold winters.
- Many hills.
- Narrow lowlands.
- Mountains filled with very thick trees.
- And many rivers!
Providence of New Hampshire
- Rough, cold, damp climate.
- Bad soil for farming. (Was hard and rocky).
- Long periods of cold weather.
- Relied on fish for food because of the cooler climate.
- Very hot summers.
Colony of Rhode Island and Providence.
- Had many shipping ports.
- Land was rocky along the coastline.
- Warm summers.
- Cold winters.
- Several large bays and inlets.
Religion Had What Effect On Their Development?
Religion play a BIG role on their development of their region because it was involved in their government, their establishment, their public residents, and picking their freedom and rights.
They were largely a fishing and farming communities. Most people made their own shoes and clothes. Most of their food was shipped back to England, although some was kept for themselves.
- These were all northern states in present days US.
- Pilgrams came to America, because they had though God intended them to build a community.
- Pilgrams planned to settle in Jamestown, but had ended up way up north.
- Puritans considered marriage a civil union.
- They used the Early American Currency system.