Update for August 21, 2020
Salem High School
- Learning Management Platform
- SHS Schedule and Arena Day
- SPS Reopening Questionnaire
- Update to 2020-2021 Sports
- Chromebook and School Supplies Distribution
- COVID Testing for Salem residents and individuals who work in Salem
- Weekly Town Hall Reminder and RSVP
Learning Management Platform
While having a consistent platform is a start, ensuring consistency across teacher pages is necessary. A template for all Schoology pages is currently being developed and will be in place for the start of the school year.
SHS Schedule and Arena Day
Due to a variety of factors, this has taken longer than anticipated but schedules should be available to students by the end of next week.
Arena day, which was scheduled for August 25, has been rescheduled to September 1. This will take place remotely - counselors will reach out to students for sign-up. If your students is not available September 1, there will be other opportunities to make changes to their schedules.
Salem Returns Reopening Questionnaire
- Fall I: 9/18-11/20 (for "low and moderate risk sports" - this does not include football and fall cheerleading; any community designated as a "red" community cannot participate in Fall I)
- Winter 11/30-2/21
- Fall II: 2/22-4/25 (for football and fall cheerleading, as well as communities that were designated as "red" communities in the fall but have moved into a lower transmission category)
- Spring: 4/26-7/3
There are still many questions to be answered and details to be worked out. As of today, Salem is designated as a "red" community and thus would not be eligible to participate in the "Fall I" season. Our Superintendent Dr. Zrike is advocating at the state level for this to change. As I know more details, I will let you know.
Chromebook and Supplies Distribution
- Thursday, August 27th - Chromebook and School Supplies Distribution Event at Palmers Cove Park 12-4 PM
- Wednesday, September 2- Chromebook and School Supplies Distribution Event at SHS 8 AM-12 PM
Salem residents and workers can receive free COVID-19 testing as part of the state’s “Stop the Spread” initiative. Testing will be offered six days a week starting Monday, August 17th via drive-through or walk-up outside of Salem High School at 77 Willson Street. Testing days and hours are as follows:
- Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays from 2:00 p.m. to 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m.
No proof of insurance or citizenship is necessary. Testing is via nasal swab, administered by EMTs from Fallon Ambulance, and processed via RT PCR at the Broad Institute Laboratory. Test results are returned, whether positive or negative, to the resident within 36 hours. You do not need to be symptomatic, quarantining, or have been in proximity to someone who has tested positive for COVID-19 in order to receive this testing.
This testing replaces the previously announced Salem Coronavirus Awareness Network (SCAN) tests. SCAN testing dates will be rescheduled to dates later this fall with precise details being announced in the coming weeks.
Weekly Town Hall
Tuesday, Aug. 25th, 3-5pm
This is an online event.
RSVPs are enabled for this event.