Description and Symptoms
Disorganized Schizophrenia is characterized by chaotic speech and behavior. Often times lacking emotion in speech or inappropriate behaviors.
Unfortunately, a pinpointed cause is unknown. However most people are diagnosed around their late teens or early 20's. Things such as environment and prenatal/maternal malnutrition can increase the risks.
Diagnosis and Treatment
- Doctors can run a complete blood test to scan for anything with common symptoms as well as drugs. They may also order scanning tests such as an MRI or CT scan.
- They will also do a psychological evaluation looking at demeanor, thought processes, moods, and ask questions about hallucinations, substance abuse, and delusions.
- Family or group therapy
- ECT (Electroconvulsive Therapy)
- Vocational Skills Therapy
- About .7% of the world has schizophrenia
- 2.4 million American's have schizophrenia
- Often first appears in men in their early 20's
- Women often times in 20-30's.
- Fatty acids such as omega-3 or others found in fish may help reduce the chances.
- Marijuana has been linked to increase psychotic incidents and increases the chances of psychotic experiences.
- Vincent Van Gogh, Mary Todd Lincoln(First Lady), Veronica Lake, Brian Wilson(Beach Boys), and Clara Bow all had schizophrenia at one point.
- The shape of the roof of your mouth may be a sign that you are susceptible to the disease.
- 1 in 10 people diagnosed with schizophrenia will die before the 10 year mark of their psychotic break.
- Schizophrenia is 2 times more likely to happen than Alzheimer's.