August 21st through August 27th
We had a great first week of school this week! Students were excited to be back in the building and teachers are happy to be back in full classrooms with students. We spent our first week in "Significant 72" activities, getting to know our students, their interests, and about their experience. This is part of our focus on Social Emotional Learning. Additionally, we have Crew Time in the mornings, which is similar to a homeroom. Teachers have 19 minutes in the morning to get assistance to groups of students, as well as do some team and relationship building activities with students.
Many chromebooks have also been shared with students this week. If you are still in need of a chromebook, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please read the information in The Pirate's Cove in it's entirety. This is our weekly communication to bring you up to speed on all important information.
Please continue to check www.sd308.org for updates on start of the year.
The staff at Plank Junior High is committed to serving the students and parents of the surrounding community. If you have questions, please do not hesitate to contact me, and we can work together to find solutions. I can be reached at 630-551-9400 and email@example.com. We look forward to partnering with you and your child throughout the year.
Always in partnership,
Plank Junior High School
Plank Spiritwear Orders
Arrival and Dismissal
Starting at 7:40 in the morning every day, the Entrance at Plank Junior High will be an EXIT ONLY until 8:10 AM and again from 2:55 PM to 3:20 PM. All Plank Traffic must enter the Churchill entrance in order to help reduce the backup on Secretariat and onto Wolf's Crossing.
Below is a traffic map for drop off and pick up for Plank. Please adhere to the flow of traffic on the map so that we can expedite student arrival and dismissal for all families. Note that the traffic is one-way for this pick up for the safety of all of our students and staff.
Arrival - Enter through the Churchill entrance. Proceed from Churchill to Plank along the service road. Turn into the drop off area, and pull up to the cone along the Plank curb, indicated by a stop sign on the map. Please do not block crosswalks so that we can safely move students. Once you have dropped off your child, please continue to exit out through the Churchill exit. The Plank exit needs to remain open for bus traffic.
Dismissal - Enter through the Churchill entrance. Proceed from Churchill to Plank along the service road. Turn into the pick up area, and pull up to the cone on the Plank curb, indicated by a stop sign on the map. Please do not block crosswalks so that we can safely move students. Once you have picked up your child, please continue to exit out through the Churchill exit, or exit through the Plank exit. The Plank exit needs to remain open for bus traffic.
If you have specific questions, please contact the main office 630-551-9400.
Information for the start of the school year
Please view the What to Expect at Plank 2021-2022 Presentation for additional information for the upcoming year!
Lea la presentación en español aquí Qué esperar en Plank - Estudiantes y padres Español 2021-2022
PE Uniforms/Lockers: Students will receive their locks and assigned a locker in PE during the first week of school. Information about this will come through PE.
Lunch: We will serve lunch during the school day this year. We have made some adjustments to our cafeteria seating to allow for social distancing seating for all students. If we need to use additional spaces in the building for lunch, we will accommodate the best we can and keep you informed.
Lockers: Students are using lockers this year (locker and combination located on the schedule email that was sent out earlier this week). We will encourage students to limit their locker usage to only a few times a day. We encourage students to take a look at their schedule and make a plan as to when the most appropriate time to go to their locker would be. (Example: before school/after school and before/after lunch, or, before school to pack for the first part of the day and then once in the middle of the day, and then at the end of the school day).
Backpacks: Students will be able to carry backpacks during the school day. Students are encouraged to ONLY bring the most important items they will need to participate in class and leave other non-essential items in their lockers.
Cell Phones: Just a reminder...a change in policy occurred last year regarding cell phones. Cell phones must be off and out of sight during the school day, from 8:10 to 3:10. If students need to contact home, they are able to use a school phone, with permission from a Plank staff member.
Buses: To find bus routes, click here for the transportation page on the district website. From there, click on Bus Routes on the left side of the page, then find Plank under the Junior High Arrival section. From there, look for your subdivision/area you live and find the closest stop to your home, which will also include your pick-up time. Please be at your bus stop 5 minutes prior to your pick-up time. Under the Junior High-Dismissal section for Plank, you will find the bus routes with the drop-off location and time.
Due to the many changes, larger student counts, the need for seating charts, and contact tracing, we will NOT be allowing students to ride buses other than their assigned one.
Chromebooks: Any incoming 6th grader, or new or returning student to Plank who has not received their Chromebook, will receive it during the first couple weeks of school. We have been distributing chromebooks to new students during lunches. If your child still needs a Chromebook, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Chromebooks that are damaged or not working will need to be turned into the Plank LRC. A loaner will be issued from the LRC until a replacement arrives or the device is repaired. See Dr. Meyer in the LRC.
10 things for a successful semester
Here are some things to be best prepared to start the semester off right.
1. Students should find a spot in the house to keep their device charged. Dedicate an area to store their device and keep it plugged in to maintain the charge.
2. Students should restart their device to clear cache to improve performance during classes. Restarts will usually help with many of the technical problems that our devices encounter. Updates to hardware and software usually are prompted from a restart as well. Holding down the power button will turn the Chromebook off and on.
3. Students need to change their default passwords. In order to ensure account security, change your login password from the SD308 Default. Directions can be found on this page.
4. Students should build the habit of logging into Tyler SIS Portal to review grades and missing assignments regularly.
5. Stay Organized Take the time to read emails, organize Drive document and folders, and maintain hard copy papers in their folders and binder.
6. Plan stops at lockers. Use your backpack to carry all your items for class, and stop at your locker only when you need to. This will save you time between classes.
7. Be sure to hit submit on Google Classroom assignments. Sometimes, an assignment is completed, but never submitted. In order for teachers to grade it, it needs to be submitted through Google Classroom.
8. Use Crew Time to get help. If they are having trouble with work, not understanding, or falling behind, Crew Time can be a great time to connect with a teacher in another classroom on Tuesdays and Wednesdays.
9. Take ownership of learning. Students who take ownership of their learning and do their best set themselves up for success.
10. Contact teachers if there are questions about class. Connecting with the teacher is the best way to find out what is happening in class.
ATTENTION ALL 6TH GRADE STUDENTS
Students entering 6th grade had their passwords reset over the summer. To reset your password, you would log into your Chromebook using your email and one of the following password options: 1) your locker combination (no dashes), 1) your birthday (6 digits, no dashes), or 3) 123456. From there, open a new window and go to mypassword.sd308.org. Enter your ID number as your username and the default password you used to log onto your computer. From there, you should be brought to a screen to complete security questions to reset your password.
Helpful Password Changing Hint: If you are also setting up your TylerSIS account, it may be wise to make both passwords the same.
Schedules and Electives
We do our best to honor first requests for electives whenever possible, but not all electives are offered every period. Counselors do their best to give kids all they want. This year, the schedule presented some unique challenges that may prohibit all students from receiving their first elective choice. As always, we encourage all of our students to enroll in our elective classes.
Electives offer students a great opportunity for new experiences. If you have questions once you see the schedules, feel free to reach out to your child's counselor.
Mrs. Gannon: A - L
Mrs. Modaff and Mrs. Hlavacs: M - Z
Please note that requests for specific classes, class periods, and/or teachers are unable to be accommodated. Schedule changes can be accommodated for the following reasons:
- If there is a specific issue with the schedule/Schedule error (example: missing periods, double classes, wrong level, electives taken previously, should be in band/choir)
- Changing 7th/8th grade electives (only if seats are available)- This is only accommodated for the first week of school. No further elective changes will be granted after 08/25
Athletics and Activities
Pirate Parents-Fall Sports starts NEXT week! Coaches will provide more information at tryouts/practice next week, but for now:
- 7th/8th BOYS Soccer Tryouts Monday/Tuesday 3:15-5 p.m.
- 7th 8thGrade GIRLS Volleyball Tryouts Monday/Tuesday 3:15-5:15 p.m. with practice for those making the team Wednesday-Friday 3:15-5:15 p.m.
- 6th/7th/8th COED Cross Country Practice Monday-Friday 3:15-5:15 p.m.
ALL Athletes must be registered on 8to18 AND have an up to date physical on file with the school nurse or they cannot try out/practice.
A few Athletic Reminders:
- If you're interested in athletics, please be sure to register through 8-18 and pay the athletic fee on Pushcoin
- Sports physicals need to be turned in prior to tryouts, otherwise, students will not be able to try out (we will continue to take physicals the first week of school!)
- Reminder: masks MUST be worn on the bus to away games/meets
Fall: Cross Country, Boys Soccer, and Girls Volleyball
Winter I: Boys Basketball, Cheerleading, Poms, and Wrestling
Winter II: Girls Basketball
Spring: Girls Soccer, Track and Field, and Boys Volleyball
Students should watch the Plank announcements at Lunch time for details every quarter
Helpful Online Safety Information for Parents
Technology has changed the way we live, work, play, learn, and interact. It is hard to keep up with all the new apps, online trends, etc. our students and children are using. Below are helpful resources for parents to learn helpful tips about online safety, how to talk to your children about online safety, and information on current apps our students and children are using.
Online Safety Information for Parents:
Stay Safe Online - National Cyber Security Alliance
Social Media Guide - Cyber Security and Infrastructure Security Agency
Follow the links to access the parent resources that we have available.
- A Parent's Guide to Google Classroom - A step-by-step guide to help parents that are unfamiliar with accessing Google Classroom.
- Google Classroom Cheat Sheet for students - Shake Up Learning
- Google Suite Tutorials - A collection of Google tutorials that students will be using with their teachers during remote learning. There are dozens of resources here that cover almost anything you need to know about using Google Suite.
- Parent's Guide to Student Portal - Tyler 360 document that outlines Student Portal access and features.
- Parent's Guide to Google Suite Applications - From Google Docs to Google Meets, this is a guide for parents to use as a reference for all of the available Google Suite Applications.
Supporting Students and Families
The Student Services team at Plank has compiled a list of valuable resources for families to use. These resources are available to all of our families. There are two forms that can be completed to provide assistance if needed during the summer. We miss you, Pirates!.
This form is a short survey for families. Fill out the family form here.
To visit our Student Services resources Page, please click here.
Set up a time to meet with the Plank Counselors!
Our Plank counseling team is using a new scheduling tool this year. It allows students and parents to directly book a meeting with us. Follow the links below to access the editable schedule to meet with one of our counselors. They also created and released the Counselors Corner Newsletter. If you have questions, reach out to our counseling team below!
Mrs. Gannon (students with last names A-L) cgannon-sd308.youcanbook.me/
Mrs. Hlavacs (students with last names M-Z) khlavacs-sd308.youcanbook.me/
Mrs. Modaff (students with last names M-Z) jmodaff-sd308.youcanbook.me/
21-22 School Yearbook
Don't Delay, Plank Pirates! It's time to order your YEARBOOK for the 21-22 school year. The online store will be open August 9. Order now, so you don't forget and get your $5 DISCOUNT. (From December 1st, cost increases to $30. Final order deadline is January 28, 2022.)
*Optional personalization for an extra fee.
If you have any yearbook questions, please email Ms. Thill at email@example.com.
21-22 Plank Yearbook QR Code
Try out for OE Wolfpack Basketball - Tryouts: 2021/2022 Season
Boys* - August 23rd & 24th, 7-9pm at OEHS – MUST Register at link below for Tryouts
*Please note that it is recommended that boys attend both tryout dates, but if you can only attend one tryout that is acceptable.
Player Eligibility: All players must be in grades 4th-8th and be enrolled in a school that feeds into Oswego East HS. If you are homeschooled (but still in OE territory) or are in 3rd grade, please contact us to discuss.
Season Starts: October
Season Ends: March
Practices: Teams will practice approximately 2-3 times per week (evenings and times vary weekly)
Games: 4th - 6th grade teams will play approximately 30-35 games during the season, including leagues and weekend tournaments
7th - 8th grade teams will play approximately 35-40 games during the season, including leagues and weekend tournaments
The fee includes:
- All practice, league and tournament fees
- Reversible jersey, shorts and shooting shirt (Note: there is a $125 discount if you do not need a new uniform)
To register go to Oswego East Wolfpack Link:
Plank Attendance Guidelines
Call Asusana Montes-Mijares
Students must be called into the Attendance Line if they are not participating for all or part of the school day (Monday-Friday).
Please leave a message on the Attendance Line noting the reason for the absence. Include all symptoms or the reason for the absence if it is not illness related. Students need to be called in if they will miss a partial day. Please note the class/classes that will be missed in addition to the reason for the absences.
Teachers are keeping attendance through class period If you have questions, please reach out to the individual teachers about these procedures.
Important People to Know
Tyler Haymond 630-551-9410 firstname.lastname@example.org
Bailey Campbell 630-551-9412 email@example.com
Mrs. Katie Jones 630-551-9411 firstname.lastname@example.org
Student Support Lead Teachers
Lead Special Education Teacher
Carrie Quinn 630-551-9497 email@example.com
Guadalupe Gallardo Escobedo 630-551-9466 firstname.lastname@example.org
Laurie Williams 630-551-9409 email@example.com
Camille Simmons 630-551-9418 firstname.lastname@example.org
Asusana (Susie) Montes-Mijarez 630-551-9408 email@example.com
Caitlin Gannon 630-551-9414 firstname.lastname@example.org
Students with last names A-L
Students with last names L-Z
Melanie Reicher 630-551-9483 email@example.com
Restorative Practice Counselor
Regena Alonzo 630-551-9405 firstname.lastname@example.org
Marguerite Slinger 630-551-9416 email@example.com
Kristin Jenkins 630-551-9402 firstname.lastname@example.org
Tyler Parent Portal login/access questions: email@example.com
Waiver of Fee questions: Kaitlyn Dolenak 630-636-3662
Free/Reduced Lunch Application Status: Paola Lares Luna: 630-636-3663