Titan Talk Newsletter
March 15, 2019
School Board Member Appreciation Week is March 18th to 22nd
Thank You to our District One
Board Representative, Katha Stuart!
- 3/15 - Middle school verifications go home with students, end of the quarter
- 3/16 - County Wide Track meet for FCS middle schools at Milton High School
- 3/16 - Titan Advantage from 9 am to 12 noon
- 3/18 - LAST DAY TO VOTE FOR SCHOOL GOVERNANCE COUNCIL - ELECTRONIC BALLOT LINK HAS BEEN SENT TO YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS #RockTheVote
- 3/18 - RHS Band Info Night for Rising 9th-graders @ RHS in their Band room.
- 3/19 - Japanese Students visit EPMS
- 3/19 - Hampton Flim Academy from 4:15 pm - 5:30 pm in Media Center
- 3/19 - Coding Club, after school in Mrs. Temske's room
- 3/19 - KG Super Stars Basketball Practice @ 6:30 (gym)
- 3/19 - MHS Parent University "Keeping Up With Your Kids on Social Media" from 6:30 – 7:30 pm in the MHS Media Hub. Guest Speaker Speaker: Gina Young – Retired FBI Supervisory Special Agent
- 3/19 - Dos Margaritas Spirit Night - Mention Elkins Pointe ALL DAY!
- 3/20 - Katha Stuart Community Meeting at 9:30 am (SAE)
- 3/20 - Drama Club @ 4:15 - 5:15 pm ( Bickel)
- 3/21 - Student Council Meeting @ 8 am ( M. Williams)
- 3/21 - Hampton Flim Academy from 4:15 pm - 5:30 pm in Media Center
- 3/21 - Running Club from 4;15 pm - 5:30 pm (Atrium/Ingram)
- 3/21 - INTERNATION NIGHT from 6 pm to 8 pm - ALL TITANS INVITED!!
- 3/22 - Running Club from 4:15 pm - 5:30 pm (Atrium/Newman)
- 3/22- Titan Advantage from 9 am to 12 noon
More Upcoming dates in March...
- 3/25 to 3/29 - Autism Awareness Week
- 3/25 to 3/27 - Orchestra Guest Artist
- 3/25, 3/26, 3/27 - Shinning Star Breakfasts
- 3/26 - Stakeholder Input Meeting in the Media Center @ 8:30 am & 6 pm
- 3/26 - Info Meeting for GA Studies Curriculum Trip & 9th-grade-course offerings @ EPMS in the Media Center @ 9:05 am and 5:30 pm
- 3/26 - Hampton Flim Academy from 4:15 pm - 5:30 pm in Media Center
- 3/26 - Coding Club, after school in Mrs. Temske's room
- 3/26 - Jr. Beta Meeting @ 8 am in the Media Center
- 3/26 - Drama Club @ 4:15 - 5:15 pm ( Bickel)
- 3/27 - Rising 9th grade trip to RHS
- 3/27 - Hampton Flim Academy from 4:15 pm - 5:30 pm in Media Center
- 3/27 - KG Super Stars Basketball Practice @ 6:30 (gym)
- 3/28 - Spring PE Tailgate Party - All Day!
- 3/28 - KG Super Stars Basketball Practice @ 6:30 (gym)
- 3/28 - Lost & Found Donated
- 4/1 to 4/5 - SPRING BREAK - SCHOOL CLOSED
- INTERNATIONAL NIGHT: MARCH 21
- TITAN ADVANTAGES: MARCH 16 & MARCH 23
- STAKEHOLDER INPUT MEETING: MARCH 26
- INFO MEETING FOR PARENTS: MARCH 26
- SPRING BREAK: APRIL 1 - APRIL 5
Message From the Principal
Happy Friday Titans!
I am asking for the full engagement and support of all Titans for these two things: 1) Voting in the School Governance Council Election and 2) Participation in International Night!
The election for School Governance Council (SGC) is happening right now. The voting poll closes on Monday, March 18th at 5:00 PM. It is imperative parents, and teachers vote for the candidate who represents your vision for our school's culture of Smart, Happy, and Connected Titans. If you have not yet voted, please search your email subject line as follows:
- For parents: "2019 Fulton School Governance Council Parent Elections."
- For teachers & staff: "2019 School Governance Council Teacher Elections."
International Night is on Thursday, March 21st from 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Our school is so lucky to have a dynamic World Language and Reading Department who so graciously step up each year to organize and lead this outstanding event. This fun event is for the whole family. Admission is free, and tickets can be purchased to be used to sample foods from around the world! Please come, volunteer, and enjoy the festivities!
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
ROCK THE VOTE BY MONDAY, MARCH 18th
Vote for School Governance Council by Monday, March 18, 2019!
An electronic link the SGC ballot has been sent to your email address. Please search your spam if you do not see it in your email. Click HERE to read the candidate statements.
SMART, HAPPY, CONNECTED
Let's Hear It for The Band
Dressed for Success
Business and Computer Science students in Ms. Lindesay's class participated in a Dress for Success Day Fashion Show on March 12, 2019. Special thanks to our judges (Marcela Crowe, Koritza Rodriguez, Traci Dease, Natasha Young, Dana Madrid, Denise Lewis, Ainara Sorozobal, Emory Johnson, Will Jones, and James Tongue) for taking the time to speak with our students about first impressions for a job interview!
Congratulations to our 8th grade winners who won Chick-Fil-A cards!
- Period 4: Jennifer D.-A. and Aidan W.
- Period 5: Emma H., Turner G., and Pedro G.-P.
Men O'Elkins Pointe
Today the Lady Leprechauns of Elkins Pointe prepared a Treat O'The Mornin to thank the male role models of Elkins Pointe.
Welcome New Titans!
Thank you to our current 6th grade Pointe Team students for providing a glimpse into life in middle school. We appreciate you making our rising parents feel so welcome! Thank you also Counselor Traci Dease and our Admin Team for such a great presentation and tour!
Excited About International Night
International Night - 3/21
THINGS TO KNOW
Rising 7th-grade and 8th-grade Verifications
Make a Note of the Updated Milestones Testing Schedule!
School Board Appreciation Week - EPMS 💙 Katha Stuart
School Board Member Appreciation Week is March 18 - 22. Our School Board Representative for Elkins Pointe is Ms. Katha Stuart.
During this week our students and staff will recognize the many positive things our School Board members do for education. During this week, we are encouraging students to create special messages for our board members. Already in the works is a special cheer from our Spirit Squad and wooden Scrabble tiles created from our CTAE Construction class and our KSU/Media Center Maker's Space. As the week progresses, we will be Tweeting out messages and pictures of the ways we appreciate Ms. Stuart.
Parents, please join us by sharing your best wishes by Tweeting and emailing Ms. Katha Stuart. As our elected official, our School Board member is responsible for setting educational and personnel policies, providing buildings and equipment, operating a transportation system and approving the school system budget. As a community leader, our school board member serves as an advocate for the children in our school.
RHS BAND Rising Hornets Night - 3/18
Roswell High School Band Rising Hornets Night is on Monday, March 18th in the Roswell High School Band Room at 6:30 P.M. This night is where parents and students can ask questions to the RHS seniors and their parents regarding the band program, such as...
- How did you handle Marching Band and school work?
- What is Marching Band like?
- How is In-Class Band different from Middle School Band?
There is a wealth of information to be gleaned from this meeting and Roswell High School Band Director, Michael Moon, invites all rising band students! Questions? Email: email@example.com
Spirit Night - 3/19
MARCH MADNESS FOOD DRIVE - Now to 3/26
The Interact Club is conducting a MARCH MADNESS FOOD DRIVE. Please send all food donations to Room E114. March Madness starts Friday, March 8th, and ends on Tuesday, March 26th.
Instant Oatmeal, Granola Bars, Goldfish, Chips, Mini Cereals, Welch’s fruit snacks, Capri Sun Juice Boxes, Crackers, Bottled Water, Chex Mix, Juice Boxes, Go-Go Squeeze Applesauce, Pretzels
MAPPING SCHOOL-WIDE SUCCESS @ EPMS
Road Map for Navigating Middle School - 3/26
"Road Map to Navigating Middle School" on March 26th at 9:05 AM & 5:30 PM in the Media Center
All parents are invited to the Info Meeting on 8th-grade GA Studies Trip to Savannah & 9th-grade-course offerings at Elkins Pointe. Parents who would like to know more about accelerated courses (i.e., 9th-grade courses) are invited to attend a meeting on Tuesday, March 26th. This meeting offered at two times in the Media Center, at 9:05 am, and at 5:30 pm. Curriculum Assistant Principal Ida Ward and 8th grade Math teacher, Norma Toner, will give a 30-minute presentation to explain the levels of rigor and high school courses offered in the middle school. This meeting will provide a quick overview for parents of students recommended for 9th grade ELA, Math, or 10th-grade Physical Science, provide info on the 8th grade Savannah trip (based on the 8th-grade Social Studies Curriculum), and other high school offerings in middle school. All parents are invited to attend.
To review the Rising 8th-grade verification form, click here. Note: Parents are invited to attend the Spring Stakeholder Meeting, immediately before or afterward, give their input on the Elkins Pointe School-wide Plan for 2019-2020.
Be a Stakeholder in Mapping Out the 2019-2020 School-Wide Plan - 3/26
Elkins Pointe Stakeholder Input Meeting on March 26th at 8:30 am and 6:00 pm
All parents, families, teachers/staff, students, and Community Members Invited on Tuesday, March 26th at 8:30 am and 6:00 pm to the Media Center. Parents and families play an integral role in the education of their child. We welcome your input at either meeting. For your convenience, we’ve provided two opportunities. The purpose of this meeting is to:
- Review and give input on the school’s 2018-2019 Title I Plan for 2019-2020
- Review and revise the 2018-2019 School-Family Compact for 2019-2020
- Review and revise the 2018-2019 Parent and Family Engagement Plan for 2019-2020
- Provide input on 1% set-aside for family engagement activities
- Provide input on Building Staff Capacity Training (staff training in family engagement)
- Review and provide input of the school’s overall family engagement program for the 2019-2020 school year
Revision documents and feedback forms will be available at the meeting, in the front office, Parent Resource Center, and on our school’s website on the Title I tab. Interpreter services will be available; please contact Bilingual Community Liaison, Koritza Rodriguez, no later than March 22, 2019.
If you are unable to attend either of the meetings, you can still give us your feedback. Input for revisions taken through May 1st, yet your feedback is welcome throughout the year.
Clicks on the link to give your input:
If you have any questions, please contact Lisa O'Hanlon Cowles, Title I Parent Liaison, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
IN THE COMMUNITY
Teen Forum 2019 – “Level Up For A Better You” - 3/16
MRAC’s Teen Forum annually draws 300 Metro Atlanta students and their parents to engage with leading Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math professionals about the skills and opportunities that are positively disrupting our learning, business career landscapes.
Students and parents/guardians can expect a light breakfast, lunch and morning and afternoon workshop tracks presented by subject-matter experts in our event’s five STEAM focus areas.
This year Marietta-Roswell Alumnae Chapter will host our annual Teen Forum from 8:00 a.m. to 2:30 p.m. at Lindley Middle School (50 Veterans Memorial Hwy, Mableton GA 30126). This day of wellness workshops will concentrate on our theme “Level Up to a Better You.”
This year, student participants will engage in workshops during the morning and afternoon. Workshops will feature topics within Nutritional Wellness, Financial Wellness, Mental Wellness, Digital Wellness, and Fitness.
This event is free and open to the public. Registration is required and ends March 12, 2019.
For more information contact the Teen Forum Committee at email@example.com