FMS PARENT INFORMATION SMORE
- Early Release - Students released at 12:30 pm
- FMS Parent Group meeting 5:30pm Rm 204
- Bball scrimmage away @ TLMS
- PERCY JACKSON DAY GRADE 6
- Bball scrimmage home vs CCMS
- WINTER CELEBRATION 5:30 PM (ART, DRAMA, AND BAND CONCERT!) *SEE MORE BELOW
DECEMBER 19-JANUARY 2
- NO SCHOOL - WINTER VACATION - HAPPY HOLIDAYS!
- FMS Parent Group meeting 5:30pm Rm 204
- Bball scrimmage HOME vs Bunn MS
- Remediation Week Monday-Thursday remediation hour from 8:30-9:30am
- Bball away @ CCMS
- Bball away @ Hawley MS
- NO SCHOOL
- NC CHECK-IN TESTING ELA AND SCIENCE 8
- Bball HOME vs TLMS 4:30pm
- End of Quarter 2
- End of Semester 1
- Athlete grades will be pulled
- NO SCHOOL - MANDATORY TEACHER WORKDAY
- Bball HOME vs Cross Creek MS
- Bball HOME vs Butner Stem MS 4:30 pm
- Bball away @ Vance County MS
- Bball HOME vs Wake Prep 4:30 pm
- Bball HOME vs N. Granville MS 4:30 pm
- Bball away @ Bunn MS
FMS WINTER CELEBRATION ON DECEMBER 15TH
5:30 pm: come and see the art class exhibit, get a snack to eat, and check out the looping drama class set of videos!
6:15 pm: enjoy our band concert, marching band exhibition, and choral music!
It will be a happy, joyous night to celebrate the hard work our students have been putting in!
Thu, Dec 15, 2022, 05:30 PM
Franklinton Middle School, North Main Street, Franklinton, NC, USA
ACADEMIC RULES FOR ATHLETES
- Athletes must adhere to the academic standards put in place by the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction.
- If your child has been accepted on a sports team, they must prove that they are eligible under DPI rules.
- For fall and winter sports that means that their report card for the 2021-2022 school year semester 2 (S2) must show that they passed at least three core classes with a 60% or higher.
- That also means that they must be passing 3/4 core classes at the end of this quarter, which will be the end of semester one. On the report card, they must show that they are passing at least three core classes with a 60% or higher under "S1" on the report card and in PowerSchool. If they are not passing at least three core classes, they will be pulled from the team.
- Once coaches have selected their team, their academic history will be checked and those students who are not academically eligible will be let go.
- For spring sports (baseball, softball, track, girls soccer) students must be passing three out of four core classes at the end of this quarter, which will be the end of semester one. On the report card, they must show that they are passing at least three core classes with a 60% or higher under "S1" on their report card and in PowerSchool.
FMS Parent Support Group
Come in the front door and up the stairs to room 204 on the left.
We hope to see you here :)
Wed, Dec 7, 2022, 05:30 PM
Talking about Gummies
We have recently had students bringing in gummy candy and passing it out to students. Normally, students share candy with each other and it is not a big deal. However, there are several CBD or THC products available to buy that look just like regular gummy candy. Students have accepted gummy candy from other students, and then worried that it might not be candy.
Please talk to your child and tell them that it is never safe to accept gummy candies from another student, especially if they are coming from an opened bag or from a generic container. Children should not be bringing in gummy candy at all because we have to assume that it might be CBD or THC.
Thank you for helping to keep our children safe and making good choices!
SCHOOL COUNSELOR CORNER WITH MS. GILBERT
Ms. Gilbert’s Google Site: click here
NC211.org (or call 211)
Hope4NC (or call 1-855-587-3463)
TransitionsLifeCare.org (or call the Grief Line 919-719-7199)
National Domestic Violence Hotline (or call 800-799-7233)
SuicideCrisisLifeline.org (or call 988)
National Alliance of Mental Illness/NC (or call 800-451-9682)
Vaya Health (or call their Behavioral Health Crisis Line at 800-849-6127)
How to Contact Ms. Gilbert:
Complete and submit this form: Counselor Request Form
Or send email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Or call FMS at 919-494-2971 ext. 298
Heads Up 8th Grade Parents!
Our 8th grade students have some choices to make for high school! Be on the lookout for more information about these choices as I’ll be posting them in my google classroom and in these “smore” newsletters.
8th grade students can apply to Early College High School, a free 5-year program that blends high school and college so students have the opportunity to earn a high school diploma and Associate’s Degree from VGCC at the same time. Applications will be online and I’ll share that link as soon as the application is “live.” ECHS will visit FMS for a presentation with our students and answer any questions you may have. You can visit their website at Franklin County Early College High School to learn more about the program.
Our 8th grade students will also be able to apply to the new STEM magnet program at Louisburg High School. As this is brand new, we’ll have more information soon! Check out the LMHS website for update info at Louisburg Magnet High School
We’ll be doing registration for ALL 8th grade students with Franklinton High School in the spring. Their counselors will visit FMS to talk to our students about high school and registration. More on that in the coming weeks. Every spring FHS offers a Showcase for their classes, athletics, clubs, etc. 8th grade students and their parents can visit the school and speak to teachers and coaches and learn more about the school at their presentation. Keep informed about FHS at Franklinton High School.
Please encourage your students to finish 8th grade strong, as we’re preparing them for high school classes!
DOWNLOAD THE NEW FCS APP!
- View grades
- View attendance
- View bus info
- View the lunch menu
- Access school and staff info
- Receive important alerts
- View news stories
- View calendar info
IT'S EASY! GO TO THE FCS WEBSITE, LOOK FOR THE AD FOR THE APP, CLICK ON THE LOGO FOR THE APP STORE YOU USE FOR YOUR PHONE, AND DOWNLOAD THE APP. EASY!
*ONCE YOU ARE IN THE APP, CLICK ON THE PARENT PORTAL ICON, PUT IN YOUR PHONE NUMBER THAT YOU HAVE IN POWERSCHOOL, AND YOU WILL BE ABLE TO SEE YOUR CHILD'S GRADES AND ASSIGNMENTS. EASY!
NEWS FROM THE 6TH GRADE TEAM
SCIENCE: MS. DOWNUM
Good afternoon! The students are doing great with our Forces and Motion Unit (Waves). We will be finishing it up just before winter break. Students are most excited by the cow eye dissection which will be December 15th. Make sure your student knows to wear clothes that aren’t baggy or could possibly drap into the cow eye. In addition if their hair is longer than their shoulders they need to be able to pull it back. This can be a hair tie, clip, or scarf.
We have finished up our second unit in SEL (Social Emotional Learning) which covered bullying. I am happy to say the students did an excellent job with this unit and are focusing on what they can do before it needs to get physical. We will be starting the third unit after break and it focuses on thoughts, emotions, and feelings.
We will be starting something new called Pro-Bowl that will review what we have learned in past units and will focus on the parts that gave students the most difficulty. There will be a review each day and then a test at the end to see how the students did. This is a great opportunity for the students to better understand something that may have been tricky for them.