Ram Nation News
Week of April 16, 2018
Our students did a fantastic job as they took their test. I was very pleased and proud of the work done by the each one of you during our testing days as well as how focused and serious our students were during testing. Each one of you continues to play a critical part in shaping the lives of our students. It is evident how you “Build confidence; Open doors; Shape futures,” and the fact that YOU Believe in each one of our Remarkable Rams and their potential to be successful.
We only have 7 weeks left of the school year; however, we still need to continue to do our best in making sure that our students are extra prepared for the next grade level. Let's continue to make sure...
we communicate the LO to our students, it will help students understand the connection between the daily assignments and the learning objectives and will shift the accountability from not only your shoulders, but also to all members of the learning community
we keep providing students with quality interventions to remediate specific needed skills.
we create the LO and DOL for whatever we need to teach or review at this time and follow it.
we challenge students with constant justifications for their responses and maintain them on task with rigorous work.
we are using the TEI rubric to know exactly what is expected of you and how you may move from one level to the next.
Video Link: https://tiny.cc/msg-feb - As we resume with SPOTs and Extended Observations, I encourage you to take some time to watch this video. It is an exemplar of a teacher who earns mostly 2.5 - 3 in each area of the SPOT observation.
I trust that, with every line you continue to write as this year goes by, you continue to shape dramatically the lives of our children by providing awesome and meaningful learning experiences to each one of our students.
- Ms. Davis and Ms. Maloy for their leadership and organization with testing. Our testing environment was very smooth and positive. Our students were very focused and worked really hard; we look forward to receiving the results!!!
- All teachers and staff members for the support and flexibility during testing. I really appreciate your efforts and willingness to give up part of your planning and eat with the kids in order to support the common good of the school. Remarkable Rams Rock!!!
- Ms. Stripling, Ms. Molla, Mr. King, Mr. Harris, Mr. Guillory, Ms. Brown, Ms. Hayes, Mr. Salcido and Mr. Serralde (visiting teachers), Ms. Carroll, Ms. Vasquez, Ms. Miller, Mr. Ramirez, Ms. McGee, Ms. Herrera, Ms. Vargas, Mr. Carballo, Ms. Villalobos, and Ms. Wells for their dedication, commitment, and support as they attended Saturday School providing small group support as they addressed low TEKS and areas of improvement. I know students took advantage of this opportunity and are grateful for having your support.
- Coach DeLeon for coordinating with North Dallas HS the Positive Coaching Alliance Athletic workshop. Our students had the opportunity to hear about competing, effort, sportsmanship, and role models. Our students represented very well. Shout out to Coach Adisson, Ms. Turnbull, and Ms. Michael for supporting during this event.
- Ms. Rendon for her leadership with our track team as she coordinated with Mr. Johnson (Sean's dad) a celebration pizza party for our athletes to recognize their efforts. Our students enjoyed their time together.
- Ms. Davis and Ms. Woods for their leadership and support during our job fair. We were able to continue to grow as a team and calibrate our lens as we seek for candidates who display our core values of growth mindset, high expectations, and inspiring relationships.
- Our Leadership Team for their commitment and support as we conducted counselor interviews using a rigorous interview protocol. After scheduling 5 interviews, two counselors declined the interview because they did not feel they were a match after we shared our expectations; the other three candidates were not a match based on our expectations. We will go to round 2!!!
and several 8th grade teachers had students write motivational messages for testing on the paper to cover content during testing week. Students had great things to say!!!
begins planning their theme for the end of the year dance. Students had an opportunity to vote during lunch; we look forward to this event.
Congratulations, Rusk Middle School has moved up to Tier 1 in the Truancy Prevention Measures (TPM) Compliance. Shout out to Ms. Araujo, Ms. Woods, Mr. Carballo, Ms. Zuniga, and Ms. Villalobos for their teamwork and hard work in making this happen.
6th Grade Basketball
As we continue to build the whole child and under Mr. Willis' leadership, our basketball team played very well and won the game against Gaston, 25-18. Congratulations!!!
Under Ms. Michael's leadership, in a spectacular double match, our Rams Baseball Team represented us very well during the Saturday tournament. After a hard fight, we lost our first game against Walker MS, 4-5. During the second game, in a demonstration of determination and teamwork, our players were able to win Marsh MS, 10-2. Shout out to Coach DeLeon for supporting during this event.
Mr. Thornton with support from Mr. Patel, engages students in a Skype call with one of the Global Teacher Prize Top 50 about the history and cultures of India. This is a great way to bring relevance to current topics being studied and to share different perspectives.
6th Grade Basketball
Monday, April 16-
Grades due by Monday, April 16 at 11:59 p.m.
Planning Meeting with CIC/AP - 6th Grade SS, 7th Grade Math, Science follows schedule communicated by Ms. Guerra, and 7th / 8th Grade RLA. Refer to the Planning Expectations to ensure your IPC and LP have the components to reach proficiency
4:40 - 5:45 Grade Level Meetings.
6:00 - 8:00 p.m. Family Impact Stories Home Visit Program - Ms. Brown, Ms. Carrol, and Ms. Maloy
Tuesday, April 17-
- Planning Meeting with CIC/AP - 7th Grade SS, 6th/8th Grade Math, Science follows schedule communicated by Ms. Guerra, and 6th Grade RLA.
- After school tutoring and Attendance for Credit continues.
Wednesday, April 18-
- Planning Meeting with CIC/AP - 8th Grade SS, 7th Grade Math, Science follows schedule communicated by Ms. Guerra, and 7th / 8th Grade RLA.
- 10:00 - 12:00 p.m. Audit of Red Folders at OBADIAH KNIGHT - Special Education Team
- Ms. Buchannon's Baby Shower during Lunch. Contact Ms. Addison or Ms. Brown for details on how to support.
- After school tutoring and Attendance for Credit is continues.
Thursday, April 19-
- 9:00 - 10:30 a.m. SSI Training - Ms. Guerra
- MS Non-Varsity UIL Concert at Cedar Hill HS - Mr. McCann and Mr. Alarcon
- 3:00 - 6:00 Teaching Trust Session at TT office - Ms. Michael and Ms. Lewis
- 5:00 Lesson Plans Due
- After school tutoring and Attendance for Credit continues.
Friday, April 20-
- Weekly PLC - Room 103
Saturday, April 21-
- Saturday School continues - Let's continue to provide meaningful opportunities for our students to close academic gaps. Anyone doing Saturday School must submit the extra duty pay request in Oracle before able to use the code.
- Community Health Fair at Rusk MS. All Saturday School will be taking place in the second floor; 6th grade teachers will be assigned a room upstairs. Thank you so much for the flexibility.
- Academic Pentathlon - Ms. Brown
Based on feedback received, I am sharing as many dates/events for the month of April as possible to ensure appropriate planning is taking place.
Week of April 23
- STAAR Parent Meetings 6th and 7th grade - Grade Level chair will confirm exact time, date, and needs to support a successful parent meeting - Mr. King and Ms. Perez.
- Student Experience Survey - Refer to the memo regarding maintaining integrity of these surveys. We will conduct the survey the day in which the ACE showcase is not taking place - Ms. Healey will let me know asap the date selected for this visit.
April 25 or 26
- 8:00 - 1:00 ACE Showcase - Superintendents and Leadership teams from Garland, Plano, Richardson, Grand Prairie, and Fort Worth will be visiting our campus. We will have an opportunity to highlight the work done under our ACE framework. This will be very similar to our AVID revalidation visit.
- 1:00 - 3:00 AVID End of Year Certification Presentation- Rusk MS
- TEI Roster Verification is available on MyDataPortal