Dr. Douglas Otto Middle School - March 25, 2015
Our Bobcats Shine!
Time to be a STAAR!
Fern Johnson, TI STEM Award Nominee
Education Foundation Goal Exceeded
Thanks to everyone who contributed to this year's campaign. Due to everyone's teamwork, we exceeded our goal by $575! I am sure you are all looking forward to wearing jeans in May and June.
As we near the end of the school year, there is more of an opportunity for "little things" to happen that may tarnish our stellar learning climate. Please remember to supervise your students consistently. It never hurts to remind the students about classroom routines and expectations regularly.
Everyone should continue to enforce our 10-10 rule and limit the use of hall passes. Thank you for helping ensure that the school year continues to flow smoothly.
Education Foundation Goal Exceeded
Seventh Grade BB Girls are District Champs!
Sherrie Gardner to Leave Otto
Jaimee Hunter - February Staff Member of the Month
- Jaimee always has a smile on her face and willing to help wherever the need may be.
- Jaimee goes above and beyond for her students. She always willing to lend a hand and works extremely hard for her students. Those students love her just as much as she loves them. It's awesome to watch how she has formed such genuine relationships with them! Go Jaimee! :)
- Jaimee goes above and beyond to make each of her students feel special and makes sure she meets their individual needs!
- Jaimee is always willing to help out another staff member!
- Jaimee is always volunteering to pitch in and help. She has a positive can do attitude. Jaimee finds a way to get through and motivate even the most difficult students. Above all, she is a great friend and team member.
- Jaime truly cares about each and every one of her students. She is an advocate for their learning and takes joy from each of them. She is just an awesome teacher!
Wonderful job, Jaimee! Thanks so much for the wonderful job you are doing within our dynamic learning community.
Patricia Garvin - March Staff Member of the Month
- Patricia is a positive role model for everyone she works with from students to adults. Her patience and understanding in any situation is astounding.
- Patricia goes above and beyond to help her students-not just in her class, but in all of their classes.
- Patricia is available for tutorials daily to help ensure her students stay on track.
- Patricia has a great professional relationship with her students as well as with other colleagues.
- Kids line up to spend tutorial time with Mrs. Garvin. She not only helps students in language arts, but works with them daily to increase their success in all their classes. She is an advocate for students and is always supportive and helpful to her colleagues.
- Patricia is a wonderful teacher. I appreciate her positive attitude and encouragement. Her students mean so much to her and she works hard to provide them with the skills they need to be successful.
Awesome job, Patricia! We are all so very proud of the great work you do each and every day.
Maritza Bradshaw - Experienced Teacher of the Year
Dedicated, conscientious, professional and effective. These words accurately describe Maritza Bradshaw, 2015 Teacher of the Year for Otto Middle School.
Maritza is a joy to work with and she brings a great amount of energy and enthusiasm to our Science Department. A master of curriculum design, Mrs. Bradshaw is a key contributor in meetings and planning sessions with her team.
In the classroom, Maritza Bradshaw is an effective communicator who does a great job in motivating all of her students to do their best. In any visit to her classroom, you will find the students excited to learn as Mrs. Bradshaw plans exceptional lessons and is actively engaged with her students each day.
In the comments submitted by the staff in selection of the Teacher of the Year, Maritza is described as “an amazing teacher with a heart of gold” who “loves what she does” and always “goes the extra mile to help her students”. I could not agree more with the sentiments of the staff and I am proud to present Maritza Bradshaw as our Teacher of the Year.
Michael Godwin - 2015 New Teacher of the Year
The staff had many positive comments to contribute in support of Mr. Godwin's selection as our New Teacher of the Year:
- Michael Godwin is an awesome addition to the Otto staff. He is always available to jump in and help wherever needed. His positive personality certainly provides a great example for our students. In a very short time he was able to establish a "raise the bar" learning environment as both teacher and coach.
- You have to love Michael's enthusiasm and presence at Otto. Clearly he has made a positive impact with his students!
- Michael Godwin deserves this prestigious award. He seemed to have transitioned well from our ISS teacher to a Coach. In his new role, I have had an opportunity to conference with him about a student. He was very proactive and matter-of-fact about his athletes understanding the importance of education.
- Wow! What a difference in our athletes this year! Every time I ask an athlete to tell me about their success, they always comment about Mr. Godwin and how much he has helped them. The coaching staff collectively have really worked hard to build a strong team spirit.
Well done, Mr. Godwin! We are excited for you and look forward to working together as you embark on your new career.