West Tualatin View Elementary
Kindergarten Orientation 2018
Our Kindergarten Teachers
Beaverton School District PIllars
West Tualatin View Vision & Mission
•At West TV we aspire to create successful, lifelong learners, who make a positive difference in the global community.
•We are committed to educating students with essential academic and life skills, and to nurture inquiring, knowledgeable students with intercultural understanding and respect.
•We are committed to developing balanced relationships by nurturing the social, emotional, and physical well-being of each student.
•We are committed to promoting the advancement of a better and more peaceful world through preparing the future generations to be culturally aware, compassionate and caring young people.
PYP Candidate School
West Tualatin View is a candidate school* for the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Programme and pursuing authorization as an IB World School. IB World Schools share a common philosophy—a commitment to improve the teaching and learning of a diverse and inclusive community of students by delivering challenging, high quality programs of international education that share a powerful vision.**
*Only schools authorized by the International Baccalaureate can offer any of its four academic programmes: the Primary Years Programme (PYP). Candidate status gives no guarantee that authorization will be granted.
West TV Office Staff
Getting Ready for Kindergarten
Mrs. Kaija Daniel-Hoffman - School Counselor
- Know how to use the bathroom independently
- Know how to button and zip pants
- Practice putting on coat without help
- Practice putting full size backpack on without help
- Use a tissue independently
- Put shoes on - begin learning how to tie shoes
- Practice waking up early
- Eat independently
- Can open and close containers in lunch box
- Top 10 list to help your child get ready for Kindergarten
Parents Ready For Kindergarten
- Tens of thousands of 5 year-olds do this every year!
- Relax and breath
- Make sure shots are up to date
- Do your volunteer background check
- Sign up to volunteer
- Buy a full sized backpack
- Read the West TV Family Handbook - it will answer most of your questions
- Parking lot and traffic pattern
- Arrive in gym between 8:10-8:25
- Teachers pick up class
- Late arrival
- General pickup and delivery bus stops
- Drivers don't wait
- Student who stays on the bus will be returned to school
- Transportation changes - notes, calls, emails - communicate early and clearly
- Routes, stops, locate your child's bus
- Learner Profile
- PBIS - Safe, Respectful, Responsible
- Writing & Handwriting
- Inquiry all day - science and social studies
- Recess & brain boost
- Big buddies
- ... and so much more!