Weekly update for the Meadows Elementary School community
February Events 2/22/20-3/6/20
Monday, February 24
- 2:45pm -4:00pm-Robotics
- 2:45pm-3:45pm-2nd Grade Wizard of Oz Meeting
Tuesday, February 25
- 7:30am Math Olympics
- 9am-11am-DFY Lifelines Assembly 6th Grade at Placerita
- Kona Ice After School- A portion of all purchases are donated to Meadows.
- Parent Education on Anti-Vaping Presentation
- 7:00pm-Honoring 1st Grade Teacher, Kim Woodard at the NSD Board Meeting for Teacher Tribute
- Orchestra-Bring your instruments.
- 2:40pm-3:45pm-Musical Rehearsal-MPR
- 2:45pm- After School Enrichment
Thursday, February 27
- Folk Dance for 4th Grade
- Rockstar Picnic
- Field Trip-Packer, 5th grade CLWA
- 2:45pm-3:45pm- After School Enrichment
- 2:45pm-3:45pm- Wizard of Oz Rehearsal MPR
- 6:00pm GDAC Science Night at Oak Hills
Friday, February 28
- Spirit Day Western Wear!
- Anti-Bullying Assembly for Students with Mrs. Carson, Counselor
- Minimum Day Instructional Planning
Monday, March 2
- Wizard of Oz 2nd Grade Meeting at 3:00pm
Tuesday, March 3
- 2:45pm Chess in MPR
- Art Class
- 7:30am Math Olympics
- 2:40pm-3:45pm-Musical Rehearsal -MPR
- Cardboard Playground Launch Day and Training for Parents Volunteers
- Folk Dancing for 4th grade
- Wizard of Oz 2nd Grade Auditions at 3:00pm
- Early dismissal at 12:00pm.
- Anti-Bullying Assembly by Mrs. Carson, Counselor
- Minimum Day
- 7pm-8:30pm Star Viewing Party
Congratulations, 1st Grade Meadows Teacher Mrs. Woodard, Teacher Tribute Honoree for NSD!
2/25 at 6:00pm at Meadows-Parents, Keep Your Children Safe Anti-Vaping Evening Presentation
Thank You, Parent Volunteers!
Rockstar Rewards PBIS Program Works
Thank You, PTSA and Community for Support-Family Dance Success!
Meadows Foundation Open Position
Foundation is looking to fill the following role beginning July 1, 2020:
Board Member - Vice President, Fundraising (voting position)
The duties of the VP, Fundraising position are (but not limited to):
• Develop fundraising plan for the school year, along with the other four Board Members and Principal
• Take the lead on and execute the approved annual fundraising plan
• Vote on funds released to school per Principal request, one of five equal votes (majority rules)
• Correspond with other Board Members via email, text, or in-person meeting throughout the school year and possibly during the holiday and summer breaks to prepare for school year
• Attend annual Foundation Board Member meeting, annual Foundation Finance meeting, and occasional other meetings throughout the school year
• Term is a minimum of two years
LCAP Parent Survey
We are seeking your ideas and feedback as we begin to plan for our new 3 year LCAP. In the past your suggestions have resulted in more art residencies and counselors as well as the site level expansion of programs such as robotics. Please take a few minutes and share your thoughts through this survey.
Meadows Foundation Sponsored Cardboard Playground -Parent Volunteers Needed
Meadows Cardboard Playground launched on Thursday, February 20 for TK-6th grade during lunch periods and it was a success! See The Signal Newspapers' write up on the front page of the paper. Click here.
We need our Meadows Parent Community to help run this lunchtime enrichment program!
The parent-run Meadows Cardboard Playground Volunteer Team will receive training on Feb 20th from 8:10-9:10AM in our MPR (stage) on how to support our children during this time of unstructured creative play. I encourage anyone interested in volunteering to sign up and attend this training session and also be available for the kick-off activities, if possible. Many hands make light work.
Spring Schedule: Feb 20, March 5, March 19, April 16, April 23, May 14, May 21, June 11
What is cardboard playground and what does it look like? Just watch! https://youtu.be/T6BavWsprPY
How can one get involved?
1. Sign up to volunteer by emailing Stacey.Hamblin@yahoo.com or RichelleBoyd@mac.com. This isn’t just limited to Meadows parents. Grandparents and family members over age 18 may volunteer. Also, if you can't stay the entire 11-1:30 timeframe, that's ok too. We are working to ensure adequate coverage while allowing flexibility. Here is the lunch schedule:
· Setup & TK/K: 11-Noon
· Grades 1-3: Noon-12:45
· Grades 4-6: 12:45-1:30pm
· Cleanup: 1:30-1:40pm
2. Donate materials. Watch for material drop off events, where we will be seeking clean, staple-free, safe cardboard materials (recycled paper rolls, large boxes, tape for taping boxes, etc.), markers, etc.
3. Encourage your child to come play, explore and be creative with their peers when the cardboard playground is running.
Think, Collaborate, Create, Innovate. See you on the Cardboard Playground.
Stacey Hamblin & Richelle Boyd
Cardboard Playground Lead Parents
Star Viewing Party on 3/6 at 7:00pm at Meadows
Reward for Good Attendance
Attendance is so important. Last year, our scores on our standardized tests for English Language Arts and Mathematics earned us special recognition by the state of California. Nonetheless, we were informed that we did not qualify for the Blue Ribbon Award because of our school attendance.
If you have to pull your child out of school for an appointment, please wait until we complete our attendance reports at 9:00am then please return them back to school. If possible, please make doctor appointments after the school day. While we never want students to miss school unless they are sick, please consider that the state of California strongly monitors our daily attendance records. This qualifies us and disqualifies us for certain state achievements. Every day counts towards students' academic progress and learning. Kindergarten is also a grade that has the largest absentee rate and significant impact on learning. Every day is an opportunity to increase reading, writing, and math skills, and most importantly, develop good habits. Unless your child is sick, please make sure they are in school. Thank you for helping to support the overall academic progress and success of your child and Meadows.
Sargent Ovalle and Safety Training for Parents and Schools on March 12th
Please save the date, on March 12th at 6pm, we will have Sargent Ovalle at Meadows speaking to parents about Lock Down Drills and situations at school campuses involving an active shooter. He will share his first hand knowledge and answer any questions you may have about school-wide safety and procedures specific to this topic. He has become the lead point person for all of Los Angeles during these emergency situations. He is training our staff on March 10th and will speak with parents for an evening parent talk on safety.
Everyone Wanted to Play! Lots of Adult Volunteers Put to Work
Kinder Plays Creatively
The Signal Features Meadows for Cardboard Playground
See this link for the article.
The Signal Features Meadows for Cardboard Playground
Thank You, Volunteers in the 1st Cardboard Playground
Creative Play in the Cardboard Playground
Students Building, Using Teamwork in the Cardboard Playground
Professional Development for Teachers, Mrs. Woodard Presents
Coffee with the Principal with John Turner, Principal of Placerita
PTSA Family Dance was a Success
Mrs. Kurtz Supports the PTSA Family Dance Event
100th Day of School Celebration
Dr. Fine and Mrs. Van Gelderen celebrate 100 days
Mr. Howard, Parent Volunteers Helps Students Learn How to Use Tools in Cardboard Playground
Thank You for Supporting Popcornopolis!
Thank you for supporting Meadows Foundation Popcornopolis fundraiser. Thank you to Tiffany Hernandez and Lisa Howard for helping run this event. 6th grade end of the year promotional activities, party and events will continue due to your support! Your support benefits our school. Thank you again!