Prevention and Warning Signs
What are the Warning Signs?
- Direct statements such as "I don't want to live anymore."
- Indirect statements such as "I won't be a problem much longer."
- Writing poems, songs lyrics, or dietary entries that deal with death.
- Suicide threats or insinuations that are either direct or indirect.
Some physical signs of someone contemplating suicide include:
- An unusual obsession with death
- Withdrawal from friends
- Significant deterioration in academic performance
- An overwhelming sense of guilt
- Intolerance to praise or rewards
How to Help
- Always take the idea of suicide seriously; never joke about it
- If someone you know shows signs of suicide, tell an adult immediately; don't try to talk them out of it
If someone you know is going to commit suicide...
2. Show support and ask questions
3. Try to persuade the person to seek help