Jordan Academy ~ November 2020
Jordan Scholars Can and Will Succeed!
November is National Gratitude Month!
Gratitude is more than simply saying “thank you.” Gratitude’s amazing powers have the ability to shift us from focusing on the negative to appreciating what is positive in our lives. Practicing daily gratitude gives us a deeper connection to ourselves and the world around us.Everything in our lives has the ability to improve when we are grateful. Research has shown that gratitude can enhance our moods, decrease stress and drastically improve our overall level of health and wellbeing. On average, grateful people tend to have fewer stress-related illnesses and experience less depression and lowered blood pressure; they are more physically fit and they are happier. Grateful kids are even more likely to get A’s in school! If everyone practiced daily gratitude, we could change ourselves and the planet for the better. Everyone would be much happier. (nationaldaycalendar.com)
Gratitude at Jordan
At Jordan, through our Social Emotional Learning (SEL) focus in conjunction with our Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports (PBIS) we continue to implement good character traits such as gratitude. Practices include, morning student greeters, morning teacher greeting and hand wave, reflection tickets, positive visits to the principal’s office and other activities.
We will also establish a school-wide Tree of Gratitude. Students will share what they are grateful for on a leaf and add it to our tree. We will continue to share all on our Social Media sites and Bloomz!
Gratitude Activities at Home
· Make a gratitude inventory. Keep a blank journal on hand in which family members can list things for which they are grateful (younger family members can draw pictures instead of writing words).
· Sit family members in an appreciation chair. Set a chair in the middle of the room and designate it as the “appreciation chair.” Gather around the chair and have one family member sit in it. Those gathered around can bestow praise, gratitude, and encouragement on the loved one seated in the appreciation chair. Have each family member take a turn sitting in it.
Here is the a link to more ideas: https://www.sarawestbrook.com/4-ways-to-cultivate-an-attitude-of-gratitude-at-school-and-home/
Virtual Fall Book Fair is Here!! November 9 - 22
A message from our Amazing Librarian, Mrs. Pavlik:
Book Fair flyers went home last week for students who are attending school onsite and for students who are working virtually, when materials are to be picked up. Book Fair information will also be available online as well. All purchases are to be made online and will benefit our school.
I will not be sending home Book Order forms for November as we will be having our Book Fair running. Book Orders will be available again in December.
The Book Fair will run for two weeks - Monday, November 9th to Sunday, November 22nd. It will be a Jungle themed Book Fair and we will will have theme days to go along with it. Information will be coming about our theme days and more information about our Book Fair will be coming as well. Happy Reading - Mrs. Pavlik
2020 Jordan Academy Día de Los Muertos
Jordan Academy is excited to share our second year of our Día de Los Muertos celebration with dances from Relámpago del Cielo Grupo Folklórico, performances from a few of our distanced students as well as singing and dancing performances from our in-person students.We enjoyed all the participation into making the second year of this event a success! If you haven't seen the our video yet, here it is for your consideration and enjoyment.
For more pictures of this and other recent events, go to our Facebook page @JordanAcademyOUSD and Instagram
Jordan Academy PTA Membership Drive has been extended to November 19!
Parent/Staff/Community Member Incentive:
- with $10 membership, plus a donation of $5 or more: Receive Free Adult Size Jordan Spirit Shirt
Classroom Incentives ~ Classroom with most percentage of memberships from one class in TK-2/3 and 3/4-6th, the class will earn:
- Special Certificate of Recognition
- Every student will receive In & Out Free Burger Coupon!
- Special Teacher Prize!
There are two ways to join!
1. Scan in your phone the QR code and pay your membership through Totem in a easy and secure way.
2. Membership envelopes were sent home in October and are available at a table in front of the office. Please complete and send back with student to place in Office & Class PTA Box.
Important Upcoming Dates
Día de los Muertos Celebration
Non-Student Day-Staff Development
November 4 & 18
Virtual Fall Book Fair
Veteran’s Day – Holiday/
General PTA Virtual Meeting 5:00 p.m.
Minimum Day-End of Trimester
School SIte Council Meeting
PTA Membership Drive ends to qualify for prizes
Thanksgiving Break-No School