Desert Sage Elementary Newsletter - December 3, 2020
DVUSD & Desert Sage Low Threshold for Illness
Desert Sage is thankful for all of you who are diligently monitoring the health of your child to help keep our community safe, and Desert Sage open for on-campus learning. We appreciate your support in keeping your child home and monitoring symptoms closely as we enter the holiday season.
We are continuing to follow the DVUSD "low threshold for illness" policy in effect for students and staff. This means if your child displays ONE symptom on the COVID-19 screening flow chart, your child MUST stay home for 10 days. They cannot return to school until the 10 day isolation period has ended OR they present with a negative COVID-19 test AND they have been symptom/fever free for 24 hours WITHOUT the use of medication. This policy is mandatory for all students across DVUSD, and we are not able to make exceptions or exclusions. If you have questions, call the Desert Sage office at 623-445-4700.
Health & Safety Reminders:
- Review the Desert Sage Health Guidelines: LINK
- Check in with your child each morning for signs of illness. If your child has a temperature of 100.0 degrees or higher, he/she should not go to school.
- Make sure your child does not have a sore throat or other signs of illness, like a cough, congestion or runny nose, fatigue, shortness of breath or difficulty breathing, loss of taste or smell, diarrhea, severe headache, vomiting, or body aches. Parents should routinely check MCDPH guidance regarding what symptoms are related to COVID-19.
- If your child has tested positive for COVID-19 (or is awaiting test results), he/she should not attend school. Immediately report this to DVUSD at https://url.dvusd.org/COVID19ReportingForm.
- If your child has had close contact to a COVID-19 case, he/she should not attend school. Report the close contact to the school immediately 623-445-4700 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Virtual Book Fair Opens Saturday!
- Online sales only
- Book Fair open: Saturday, 12/5 - Friday, 12/18
- Book Fair orders: https://www.scholastic.com/bf/desertsageelementaryschool5 or click on the Book Fair picture.
Child Internet Safety
Internet safety is priority #1 when your child is online.
Please take a few minutes to read through the resources provided and then be sure to take some time to review the information with your child.
- Need to Know Child Internet Safety: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mPgg_qbQr6QCHIvdKmEODdXU738aqDRq/view?usp=sharing
- Apps that Could Put Your Child at Risk: https://findmykids.org/blog/en/dangerous-apps-for-kids-and-teens
Thank you for Southwest Behavioral and Health Services for providing this helpful information.
Harkins Loyalty 2021 Fundraiser
Need a great holiday gift for family and friends? Order a 2021 Harkins Loyalty Cup, Popcorn Perks, and Big Party Popcorn vouchers. A portion of your purchase will be donated to the Desert Sage PTO.
- Order at: https://my.cheddarup.com/c/harkins-loyalty-2021
- Last day to order is Tuesday, December 8, 2020
- Vouchers will be distributed to students at school the week of 12/14
Panda Express Chinese Kitchen Fundraiser
- When: Wednesday, December 9th - all day long
- Online orders or App orders only: https://order.pandaexpress.com/
- Must enter 901531 in the "Coupon Code" box during checkout
Upcoming Important Dates
- Friday, December 4: Dismissal at 2:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, December 8: Virtual PTO meeting at 4:30 p.m. (contact email@example.com for Zoom link information)
- Friday, December 11: Dismissal at 2:00 p.m.
- Friday, December 18: Dismissal at 12:05 p.m.
- December 21 - January 1: No school, Winter Break
- Monday, January 4: School resumes
AZ School Tax Credit for Desert Sage
Your school tax credit donations can provide Desert Sage students with opportunities to after school and summer programs, field trips, music and athletic programs or any other extracurricular activity.
- The Arizona tax credit program (A.R.S. 43-1089.01) allows a tax credit of up to $200 for individuals and up to $400 for married couples, filing jointly, in support of extracurricular activities.
- The tax credit reduces your tax burden to the state of Arizona, dollar for dollar.
- This year, AZ tax credit dollars can help us purchase needed capital items as well if donated to the general fund.