PSTA Weekly News
Click the graphic above to register online.
PSTA Virtual Candidate Town Halls
Next week, PSTA will continue hosting virtual town halls with candidates for the General Assembly. We have a town hall scheduled for every afternoon next week from 4:00-4:30 PM. The schedule for this week includes:
- Monday, September 21- Bill Brown, Senate 23, Lexington County, Zoom Link, Passcode- 832732
- Tuesday, September 22- Mitchel Siegel, House 118, Beaufort and Jasper Counties, Zoom Link, Passcode- 418214
- Wednesday, September 23- Rhodes Bailey, House 75, Richland County, Zoom Link, Passcode- 801684
- Thursday, September 24- Daniel Brownstein, House 112, Charleston County, Zoom Link, Passcode- 236384
- Friday, September 25- Nathan Campbell, Senate 46, Beaufort and Jasper Counties, Zoom Link, Passcode- 236384
As a reminder, every town hall is being recorded and posted to a playlist on the PSTA TV YouTube channel. Please consider subscribing to the YouTube channel for reminders and alerts!
Back to School Raffle from American College of Education
From September 11 through 26, educators are invited to fill out a short entry form for your chance to win one of four $250 Amazon gift cards. One entry per person; no purchase necessary. Winners will be notified September 23.
Please feel free to share this with all faculty and staff in your school. We wish everyone in your school a safe, healthy and successful 2020-2021 school year!
Important Information Regarding the 2020 Census
- The US Census Bureau announced on July 31st that the self-response and door-knocking operations of the 2020 census will cease on September 30th (instead of the October 31st extension)
- SC is ranking 44th in the nation in self-reporting
ETV's Fall Webinars
- Earn renewal or graduate credits
- 2 R2S courses offered
ETV Teacher Recertification courses start October 5
- Earn renewal credits
- 2 new courses offered
ETV's At-Home Learning service resumes October 5
Students can watch ETV's main channel for standard-aligned content, including a number of teacher recorded lessons, each Mon-Fri from 8 a.m. – 4 p.m. All programming is supplemented by customized learning activities as well as a learning reflection sheet. Have requests for something you think might be appropriate as part of the programming? Email us at email@example.com. Learn more at www.scetv.org/stories/education/2020/home-learning-resumes-next-month.
Free, Anytime, Virtual Learning Sessions
- Sample ETV Sessions
* Teaching with Hyperdocs
* Permission to Feel: The Power of Emotional Intelligence to Achieve Well-Being and Success
* Back to School Math Resources
Access all via www.scetv.org/at-home-learning.
- Sample PBS Sessions
* Talking to Children Authentically about Race and Racism
* Inspiring Young Scientists through STEAM Education
* Teaching the Civil War through a New Lens
Access all via www.pbslearningmedia.org/collection/virtual-professional-learning-series-collection/.
The 21 Day Race Equity Challenge Starts Tomorrow!
Upcoming National Board Webinars
Since March, the National Board has offered free professional development webinars to all educators. The webinars cover topics such as remote learning, technology, building community and more. Upcoming topics include teaching literacy virtually, Special Education in a virtual setting and partnering with parents.
Click here to register for September webinars!
Help Us Grow!
Please help us continue to grow PSTA by encouraging your colleagues to consider joining the largest professional organization for educators in South Carolina. This year more than ever, teachers need to know that PSTA is working hard to support and advocate for their needs. Thank you for all you do! Remember PSTA is here for you so you can be there for your students.
We are still offering our incentive program. For every new member* you sign up, you will receive $10 (up to $499 each year). Please feel free to print a membership application here and sign up as many new members as you can!! If you have any questions please contact our office at 803-256-2065 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
50% Discount for all Books by Kate Salley Palmer
During this difficult time, Kate Salley Palmer and Warbranch Press want to support administrators, teachers, media specialists, parents and students by offering a special 50% discount for all of Kate's books published by Warbranch Press. Anyone wishing to order books should just contact Jim at email@example.com or call him (864) 650-6180. Descriptions and reviews for each book on our website, www.warbranchpress.com.
The following picture books are available for puchase for the prices listed:
Francis Marion and the Legend of the Swamp Fox - $7
Palmetto: Symbol of Courage - $5.50
Almost Invisible: Black Patriots of the American Revolution - $6
First South Carolinians - $7.50
Hostie - $5
The Pink House - $5
The Little Chairs - $5
Click on the image below to view the COVID-19 FAQs.