Metacognition without Tears
Techfest | Tracy Clark
Session Link: https://www.smore.com/k97df
- What is metacognition & visible thinking
- Why is it important
- How do we nurture a culture of thinking?
We start with the learning objective in mind-- not the tool first (insert Tracy's soapbox from our time together).
The tools above + these thinking strategies = a way for students to make their thinking visible regarding the objectives you are working on
Sentence Stems & Visual Synetics
(Insert vocabulary word here) is like ________________ because _____________.
- Or insert grammar concept, character in a story, book title....or just about anything where you want students to make connections.
- The visual part comes in where you add a couple pictures for initial analogies to help students with brainstorming...
- Remember the example we did in our first session? My summer was like __________________ because _______________. Many of you used the pictures I had in the visual synetic to get your ideas flowing, but ultimately came up with your own analogy.
- Use to explore themes and connections
- Root word in middle & create hexagonal thinking map to connect words
- Prefix/suffix map-see how big map can grow through connecting words
- Add a sketch (idea + icon = idon) (multimodal)
Photo courtesy of Chris Harte