News and Notes
January 8, 2016
Our Awesome Educator of the Week is:
The future is ours because of what you do
Now you get the Lucky Longhorn Spot too!
The Future Is Ours...
Remember to tweet and hashtag :)
Don't forget to follow @lakesidecoppell
Thanks for keeping up the tweeting:
HAPPY NEW YEAR
What Strategies Have You Tried?
Please take some time to review your observations, your walkthroughs, your lessons plans, and/or your practice...
Have you embraced your goal to include formative assessments in your daily practice?
If so, great! Keep it up and it will become 2nd nature.
If not, why? Can this be a goal for the 2nd half of the year?
What support do you need?
Trainings & Curriculum Updates
In an effort to keep you fully informed I'm including a link to the Curriculum Courier (admin newsletter). This link will give you access to current and past issues of the newsletter. The Courier will provide you with pertinent information for your grade and content area. Although some weeks are more informative than others you should try to review it regularly.
*This week is jam packed with MOY info, data info, etc.
*The compliance training listed in the courier will take place during Monday's staff meeting
Gema to Principal's Meeting on 1/12
Annelise and Content Specialists to their meeting on 1/14
Kelly Fischer to Global Connections Meeting on 1/21
Gema to TASA and Principal's Meeting 1/25-29
Jan to Counselor's Meeting on 1/28
KN2K (Knows & Need to Knows) *Updated
Money, Money, Money:
Something that doesn't impact you is that the district will be changing our budget systems at the end of this year.
Something that does impact you is that because of this change our expenditures will be closed out a little earlier than they have been in the past. Although I don't have a due date at this time, it is important that you start to think about what items you need to get you through the next nine weeks and what items you need to for 2016 start up (yikes).
In the past your final expenditures have been due to me prior to Spring Break. We will keep this date but be prepared shop a little earlier should that date need to be moved up.
As always... If you need something now - let me know. Your December orders have been placed and should start to arrive within the next week or so.
- Startup Money for classroom educators will be $250
- If you are designated with your own budget line (clinic, counselor, library) then you can spend the remainder of your budget (let me or Barbara know if you want to know the number)
- Unique roles (Specials and Special Programs) will have unique budget numbers so please ask us if you want to know what to spend.
Something to consider is to let Barbara know of any construction paper colors or supply closet requests you might have so we can get those ordered as well.
UNDERSTANDING BY DESIGN - UbD
Some things you should know for now (all subject to change based on certain factors)
- Spring training will include online training, backwards design planning and reflection.
- Summer training will be (hopefully) custom to Lakeside and provide all of us with summer flex hours. *Stay Tuned for dates
- Fall training and expectations include: planning days to prep for future units and the expectation that UbD will encompass all subject / curriculum areas by the start of the 2nd nine weeks. PBL units do not need to be abandoned...they should still be incorporated in the instructional design.
What can you do in the meantime?
- Keep thinking about backwards design, PBL, and lesson design.
- *Check out the splash screens and the UbD components that are already there for you
- Review The Learning Framework and our district philosophy in these areas.
- Reflect on your day to day and content to content practice.
- Think about the questions you might have.
- Smile and keep doing the great things you are doing!
11) Staff meeting with PTO Sustenance
- on the agenda: Compliance & Child Find (All staff need to attend)
13) Mid Year Meetings*
15) Spirit Rally to focus on CARING & End of the 2nd 9 weeks (We are half way through)
18) No Meeting Monday ... No School Either (FLEX day)
19) Grades Due plus Treat time for 5th
20) Mid Year Meetings* plus Treat time for K, 1st, 4th
- 4th Grade Program and
- Parent Learning Walks at 9 and 1
- plus Treat time for 2nd & 3rd
22) Report Cards go home
25) Staff Meeting Monday -
- on the agenda: TELPAS with Ana and Formative Assessments with Annelise
30) LAKESIDE CARNIVAL
*Annelise sent you an appointment request...Please bring your completed yellow sheet to the meeting and be prepared to discuss it.
2/1-2/4 A "LOVELY" Assessment Time Treat
2/3 ESL Walkthroughs with Penny
2/4-2/5 Gema to TEPSA Board Meeting
17) Carla McCown
26) Melissa Warren
$2 Tuesdays with a Twist: With a $20 donation to the American Heart Association Cindy will give you 10 jeans passes that can be used to supplement the denim days below. It's a good cause and a great incentive. Per Cindy's request donations will be accepted until Jan. 15th.
- AHA passes can be used between Jan. 11th and March 21st.
Wednesdays will be College Days for staff and students
Fridays with a Lakeside or CISD Tee