January 23, 2015
CYBER DAY GUIDELINES
- Teachers will post assignments in eCLASS C&I course page no later than 10 AM on inclement weather day.
- Teachers will attempt to contact parents via regularly established means of communication to let them know when assignments have been posted - i.e. email, Remind101, etc.
- Activities should take approximately 20-40 minutes to complete in each of the four (4) core content areas: ENG/LA, MATH, SCIENCE, and SOCIAL STUDIES.
- Plan for roughly 20 minutes per content area in Grades K-1.
- Plan for roughly 30 minutes per content area in Grades 2-3.
- Plan for roughly 40 minutes per content area in Grades 4-5.
- Teachers will make themselves available for student support during the school day hours via email, discussion boards, online conference tools, etc.
- Teacher student support CHECK-IN will take place at 11 AM, 1 PM, and 4 PM.
Cyber Day Best Practices for Teachers
- Include a discussion board in the course page for each class where students may post questions – teacher expected to check each class at least 3 times during the day to respond; CCES established check-in times are 11 AM, 1 PM, and 4 PM.
- Allow at least two days for each day missed after returning to school to complete and turn in assignments.
- Work as course teams or grade levels to develop activities around January and February instructional calendars that can be posted in shared course pages or on individual course pages, without “publishing” to students until day of event.
- DO NOT PANIC!
- Julie Carter will be helping individual grade levels with discussion boards and embedding of assignments.
Cyber Day "What Ifs" ?!
What happens if a teacher has loss of internet access due to power outage?
- Call or text Julie Carter who will be able to access and "publish" to students.
What about students who do not have home Internet access - either due to power failure or lack of Internet service?
- Admin and LSTC will work together to provide additional open-lab time (before/after school, Saturdays) for students.
- Grade levels have the option of working together to create a "Cyber Day" back-up packet for students who do not have internet access AND are not able to attend open-lab time - this would be a LAST RESOURCE.
How will the school work to notify parents of CYBER DAY?
We will use standard school outlets - i.e. Camp Creek ES website, SchoolMessenger, and Facebook "Cubby Connects" - for notifying parents on designated Cyber Day(s).
SchoolMessenger communication will include:
- reminders for how students can access My eCLASS
- GCPS created video links to help parents access/troubleshoot My eCLASS
- a link to the school website
Parents will be notified that teachers will post assignments NO LATER than 10 AM.
GCPS CYBER DAYS PREPARATION INFO
In order to assist your school in preparing for a potential Cyber Day, the following will be available:
Brief instructional videos for parents and students on how to access features in the C&I Tool course pages - see link below that can be added to your school websites or embedded on your C&I Tool school landing page.
NEW BYOD RESOURCES
- Media Services & Technology Training is offering several self-paced online courses in support of BYOD.
- These online classes are about one hour each and are available to all employees.
CCES STUDENT TEACHERS
Ms. Pamela Holmberg
Ms. Holmberg is joining us as a student teacher in Ms. Webb's KINDERGARTEN CLASS.
Ms. Mallory Hoffman
Ms. Hoffman is joining us as a student teacher in Ms. Detar's FIRST GRADE CLASS.
Mr. Dustin Stroud
Mr. Stroud is joining us as a student teacher in Ms. Armstrong's FIFTH GRADE CLASS.
Ms. Pamela Holmberg
Ms. Mallory Hoffman
Severe Weather Preparedness Week
- Governor Nathan Deal has declared February 2-6, 2015 as Severe Weather Preparedness Week.
- During Severe Weather Preparedness Week, this year’s statewide tornado drill is scheduled for Wednesday, February 4.
- If there is a threat of severe weather on that day, the drill will be postponed until Friday, February 6.
- Before the drill, please review our school’s severe weather emergency preparedness plan, on your own and with students.
- This review is designed to make sure that everyone knows where safe areas are located within the school should there be a severe weather emergency.
- A Ready Georgia Parent and Teacher Toolkit is available for Grades 3-5.
- Lessons complement the health and/or science curriculum, giving teachers the opportunity to introduce principles of meteorology, earth science and heat energy while helping students take a proactive role in getting their families ready for a variety of emergencies.
CCES TALENT SHOW - TEACHER HELP NEEDED!!
Ms. Will, Ms. McClellan, & Ms. Griffith are SUPER EXCITED about bringing back the CCES talent show.
However, like most endeavors, they cannot do it alone - they will need your time and talents as well to help make this event a SUCCESS!
Here are ways you can get involved...
- You can help "judge" talent applicants.
- All applicants will audition for the talent show.
- From these applicants, we will select approximately 15-20 acts to perform the evening of our talent show.
- The audition dates are: February 9 and February 10 (3:45-5:15 PM).
- A JEANS pass will be given for each day that you volunteer your time.
- You can showcase your talent the evening of the talent show (March 5).
- Students would love to see their beloved teachers singing, dancing, magic, comedy, etc. - it can be a solo or group act - even grade level, perhaps.
- You can pump up and promote the excitement of the CCES Talent Show in your classroom - help us to get the kids excited - this event really is for THEM.