2nd Grade Newsletter
September 10th, 2021
Your 2nd Grade Team
Mrs. Allison Karisch
405-259-9478 ext. 3207
Mrs. Rebecca Wiesemann
405-259-9478 ext. 3187
Mrs. Kelley Winsett
405-259-9478 ext. 2156
Mrs. Julie Davis
K-2 Reading Interventionist
Mrs. Clarissa Basora
405-259-9478 ext. 3248
Miss Ashley Ehrhart
2nd Grade Paraprofessional
405-259-9478 ext. 3321
Ms. Tiffany Furr
405-259-9478 ext. 3137
Google voice: 405-458-4664
Mrs. Jessica Bryant
Homeroom Teacher, K-2 Lead Teacher
405-259-9478 ext. 2143
Ms. Karli Davis
405-259-9478 ext. 3231
Upcoming Events & Reminders
September 13th: ELA and Math TGAs-we will work on our 1st Quarter Teacher Graded Assignments this week in class, be sure to attend!
September 15th: New schedules begin based on NWEA MAP Growth Scores. Your teacher will be contacting you soon with your revised class times.
September 24th: No School
October 12th: Last day of the 1st Quarter, be sure that you are all caught up on your lessons and have turned in all your other work (Seesaw assignments, TGAs, etc)
October 13th-15th: No School
Join your Homeroom Teacher Monday-Thursday for Morning Meeting at 8:45am to get your day off to a great start!
Students in grades K-5 must participate in a minimum of 30 minutes of physical education activities per day or a total of 150 minutes per week. The PE lesson asks: Did you complete the required physical activity for today? Choose yes or no.
PE grades will be figured once a quarter based on completing the minimum minutes/lessons of PE in the course. The grading scale for PE is an S for satisfactory and a U for unsatisfactory. If a student does not meet the minimum minutes required, they will receive a U for the quarter.
This change will begin Monday, September 13th. Have fun trying new PE activities this year!
ELA and Social Studies Change
- Students with better attendance achieve more success during the school year.
- Make a schedule and get in a routine for your school day. (Here is a template if you'd like one.)
- Make it a point to attend morning meetings at 8:45am each day, even if you have your Class Connect Sessions later in the day.
- Here are some useful tools you might want on hand that can be purchased at Dollar Tree or anywhere: dry erase board, dry erase markers, dice, clear sheet protectors (can also work as dry erase to do work pages on), analog clock, ruler, pencils, paper, folders to organize subjects.
- Check your email everyday! Best practice is to check it at least first thing in the morning and at the end of the day before you log off for the evening.
- Create a quiet learning space that has all your materials easily accessed.
- Schedule Brain Breaks throughout the day. (Here are some great ones!)
- Expect your student to school for 7 hours (give or take) with breaks and lunches.
- Remember start out can be difficult but making mistakes is okay. Do not be scared to reach out for help!
What You Can Expect This Year
Your child should also be fluent with sight words. We use the Literacy First sight words. Your child should have Sight Word List A (100 words) mastered by the middle of 1st Grade and Sight Word List B (100 words) by the end of the 1st Grade. If they have not mastered these words already, start there! Sight Word List C (300 words) will need to be mastered by the end of 2nd Grade. Click here to access all the sight word lists.
Reading at least 20 minutes per day is a great way to increase reading fluency. Your child can work on building up their stamina by starting with just 5 minutes. You can also change up your reading space to make it fun and new! Some ideas are: reading outside, build a fort-then read in it, reading during a picnic, or read a book in bed. This website has more creative reading challenge ideas: https://www.ateachableteacher.com/free-reading-challenge/
As they read, help them practice comprehension skills like identifying the main parts of the story including details about characters, setting, beginning/middle/end, etc. They can also read a book and describe the main idea and details about the people, places, and thing in it.
Important Websites and Attachments
If you are experiencing technical issues, please use the link above or call 866-512-2273 to submit a ticket.