The Whitetail Deer
By: Austin Hooker
Your heart starts to pump when you see a big buck
Trail cameras are essential to see what kind deer are on your property
The mating season for deer
Fall and Rut
Adult whitetails have reddish brown coats in summer which fade to a duller grayish-brown in winter. Male deer called bucks, are easily recognizable in the summer and fall by their set of antlers which are grown annually and fall off in the winter. Bucks grow antlers, which hold a number of sharp points. During the mating season, also called the rut, bucks fight over territory by using their antlers (National Geographic 2). Rut is caused by rising testosterone levels in whitetail bucks, and when does begin to come into estrous (Grossman 8). When testosterone levels run high, bucks become much less tolerant of one another, and any sign of another buck can be all it takes to make a mature deer defend his territory (Grossman 10).
- "History of Whitetail Deer." Hunting Net, Inc. N.p., n.d. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.huntingnet.com/tools/>.
- N.d. Photograph. Buck Manager. Deer Management at Buck Manager. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.buckmanager.com/media/images/2010/09/hunting-the-rut-buck-chasing-doe-093010.jpg>.
- N.d. Photograph. Carol Glazer Photography. Creative Group, Inc. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.carolglazerphotography.com/Carol_glazer_sales/content/Fawn_in_Meadow_1.html>.
- N.d. Photograph. Campeau Guiding. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.campeauguiding.ca/deer.htm>.
- N.d. Photograph. Cool Chaser. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://www.coolchaser.com/graphics/513978>.
- "White-Tailed Deer." National Geographic. National Geographic Society, n.d. Web. 17 Oct. 2012. <http://animals.nationalgeographic.com/animals/mammals/white-tailed-deer/>.
- Kathy Jacobs Design & Marketing LLC., Kathy Jacobs. "White-tailed Deer: Habitat, Ecology and Management." White-tailed Deer. N.p., 31 Sept. 2011. Web. 29 Oct. 2013
- "White Tailed Deer." White-tailed Deer. N.p., n.d. Web. 29 Oct. 2013
- Bagley, Kat. "White-tailed Deer (Odocoileus Virginianus)." White-tailed Deer. New Hampshire Fish and Game Department, n.d. Web. 30 Oct. 2013.
- Grossman, Brian. "Deer Behavior During the Rut." Big Game Hunt. N.p., 16 Oct. 2011. Web. 31 Oct. 2013.
- "Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries." Chronic Wasting Disease (CWD). Virginia Department of Game and Inland Fisheries, 2013. Web. 01 Nov. 2013
- "Emerging Disease Issues." Emerging Disease Issues - Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in White-Tailed Deer. National Wildlife Health Center, n.d. Web. 01 Nov. 2013