NOTES FROM the OFFICE
DUNNING STUDENTS ARE RESPECTFUL, RESPONSIBLE, & READY TO LEARN
Las traducciones de todas las "Notas desde la oficina" están disponibles al desplazarse hasta la parte inferior de cada boletín y hacer clic en la barra negra "Traducir".
Traduções para todos os "Anotações do Office" estão disponíveis rolando até o final de cada newsletter e clicando na barra preta "Traduzir".
All previous Notes From the Office are available by using this LINK.
Happy New Year! We have created a survey to better understand what families are interested in learning about through our segments in the weekly Notes from the Office. Please take a moment to complete this 4 question survey so that we may better serve you!
Brett (the literacy coach) and Lauren (the math coach)
winter warm up family night
SAVE THE DATE - JANUARY 16, 2020, 6:00 - 7:15PM
Dunning Families and Students are invited to join us for a winter celebration of our Dunning writers and mathematicians.
The Evening will include:
- Math Games
- Writing on Display
- Pizza Dinner
- Read Alouds
January’s character theme is ACCEPTANCE. Our read alouds will focus on this theme.
We will provide dinner, but would love for families to bring a special family dessert to share.
Please click on the links below for the RSVP form or RSVP using THIS LINK.
dunning movie night
January 24th, 6:30 - 8:30pm
Bring your sleeping bag, PJs and pillow, and join your friends for another fun movie night at Dunning. This is a FREE PTO event for all, but requires an RSVP.
This is NOT a drop-off event.
coffee with Ms. Schecter & Mrs. Lasky
You are cordially invited to our first coffee with the Principal and Assistant Principal. Come to our media center, fill up on a warm cup of coffee, and receive the latest news and information about upcoming events at Dunning. It is an opportunity to engage in informal conversations about our school. It is also a time to ask questions and/or share concerns that will positively impact student academic achievement.
Our first coffee is scheduled for Wednesday, January 15th, 8:00 - 8:45. This is a parent only event. We will schedule additional coffees throughout the year at different times during the day, after school, and early evening to accommodate parent schedules.
winter, recess & clothing
At Dunning School, our goal is to get students outside to play during recess whenever it is possible. Though federal recess guidelines suggest letting the children outside when it is above 10 degrees fahrenheit, we have found that other variables such as precipitation, wind, and whether or not the sun is out play just as a significant a role with regards to children's safety and comfort levels. For instance, if the children have had indoor recess for several days in a row and there is no wind and the sun is shining but it is cold (15 degrees or so) we still may let the children outside to play; if it is 15 degrees, windy, and overcast with moisture in the air, we may instead have indoor recess. We make this judgement call each day just prior to recess time as our beloved New England weather can shift swiftly.
Parents can best prepare students by sending them to school each day with a warm winter coat, gloves, and a hat. If your child is in need of a coat or winter clothing, please let us know as we often get donations. We also have many warm clothes in our extensive Lost and Found area that children are welcome to borrow at any time.
When there is snow on the ground, children are allowed to play in the snow if they come in prepared with snow pants, snow boots, hats, gloves, and a winter coat.
Thanks for your support of our policies. Keeping the children safe is our #1 priority!
Kindergarten information night
Click here for additional information and to register.
kindergarten pre-registration - class of 2033
Online Pre-Registration is Open for Framingham Public Schools Class of 2033!
Parents can now begin the registration process for the incoming Kindergarteners for the 2020-2021 school year.
Families who have a child or children that will be five years old by August 31, 2020 are invited to pre-register their incoming Kindergarteners online. The Parent Information Center, located at 31 Flagg Drive – Door # 4A, has just opened the process that all families must go through before a child can begin their academic career in Framingham Public Schools.
Here is a snapshot of the Kindergarten registration process. Please visit https://www.framingham.k12.ma.us/kindergartenregistration to begin registration and for additional information including detailed steps and timing.
New this year: Parents / Guardians can book their registration appointment online after completing the online pre-registration form.
- Online pre-registration (Now - April 1, 2020)
- Schedule a registration appointment with the Parent Information Center after completing step #1. (December 2019 - April 1, 2020)
- Attend the Kindergarten Information Expo (Monday, January 13, 2020)
- Tour Elementary Schools (March 2020)
- Submit School Choice Form by Wednesday, April 8, 2020)
- Receive school assignment by May 15, 2020
- Attend Kindergarten Orientation on Monday, June 1, 2020
As always, the Parent Information Center welcomes parents to call or come in to the office with any questions. They are open year round and can be reached at the following times:
- Monday: 8:00am - 6:00pm**
- Tuesday through Friday: 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Closed on weekends
- ** Extended hours are available on regular school days only; Please check the FPS School Calendar for holidays and school closings.
Se habla Español / Falam Português
Framingham Public Schools looks forward to welcoming the class of 2033!
School Hours 9:15am - 3:30pm
Students are welcome to begin arriving at school at 9:00 am, when teachers will be present to greet them.
Early Release Days
- Students are dismissed at 1:05pm.
- Lunch IS served.
- If your child rides the bus, you can expect them to arrive at their stop approximately two and a half hours earlier than normal.
- Early Release Thursdays: 10/17, 10/24, 10/31, 11/7, 12/5, 3/5, 4/30, 5/7, 5/14, 5/21, 5/28
- Students are dismissed at 12:30pm.
- Lunch IS NOT served.
- If your child rides the bus, you can expect them to arrive at their stop three hours earlier than normal.
- Half Days: 11/27 and the last day of school.
Please check the calendar each Notes From the Office as dates may be changed and/or added.
- Third Grade Wampanoag Visit - In House
- Coffee with Ms. Schecter & Mrs. Lasky, 8:00 - 8:45am
- Family Literacy and Math Night, 6:00 - 7:15pm
- No School - Martin Luther King Jr. Day
- Family Movie Night, 6:30 - 8:30pm
- District No Homework Day
- Report Cards Go Home
- Performance of The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley, 7:00pm, (Walsh Middle School)
- Performance of The Musical Adventures of Flat Stanley, 2:00pm, (Walsh Middle School)
- No School Presidents' Day
Tuesday, 2/18 - Friday, 2/21
- No School February Recess
care and share
The Jane Shapiro Care and Share began in 1995 as a Dunning School community service project. Each month a specific food item is collected at the school to help keep A Place to Turn's shelves stocked. What a great sharing and learning project! Donations are gathered up by the students and then with help from staff, they are delivered to A Place to Turn. Learn more about A Place to Turn here.
Thank you for your contributions to A Place to Turn during the year. Our monthly food collection makes a huge difference in our community, while teaching our students the importance of giving.
- January: Canned Fruit
- February: Rice
- March: Crackers
- April: Spaghetti
- May: Juice Boxes
- June: Cans of Tuna Fish
NO Homework Days
- January 30, 2020
- April 30, 2020
November Distribution Flyers
- Framingham Youth Hockey
- Nick Cerio's Kempo Karate
- StarFun Theater Camp
- Performance Art Center of Metrowest
- Framingham Parks and Recreation
- Suburban Athletic Programs
- Holiday Market Place
- Department of Public Works Open House
Visit the Dunning website
join the dunning pto fb page
follow us on twitter