VCR-E Lesson 8 Presentation
Fill in the Blank
Her polite and honest __________ during the trial earned admiration.
Behavior; demeanor; mode of bearing or movement.
porto, portare, portavi, portatum : to carry
Comportment vs Deportment
- Comportment retains connotation of "physical bearing" or "dignified manner" while the deportment means "conduct" or "ways people behave toward others"
Choose the sentence in which the word in the bold-faced type is used incorrectly
- The forth-graders learned proper comportment in their private school.
- As the police approached, their comportment changed suddenly.
- John was scolded for his rude comportment when he screamed during the wedding ceremony.
- Victorian conception of women's comportment is very confining and strict.