Mill Creek OST
March came in like a lion and with luck, will go out like a lamb, but in JCPRD MCE OST with our exciting mad skills it is anything but tame. We continue with our kid clubs; Kid Fit (now on Wednesdays), Writing & Drawing (alternating every Tuesdays), Craft and Cooking throughout the week, and possibilities of kid proposed and directed clubs; Lego &/or Drama (keep an eye out for these).
As the days warm and thaw out the winter blues, JCPRD will take advantage of the fresh air, shining rays of sun, the walking trails, and the wonderful new Little Mill Creek North Park conveniently across from Mill Creek Elementary exploring budding spring surprises.
Scroll down to view the amazing time we had during Spring Break 2015!!
Check the Important Dates section below for even more important dates! Summer camp enrollment has begun and the 2014-2015 OST program information is available online now!
Kid Fit Club
Congratulations to Piper Denning for completing 14,392 steps, our high stepper thus far. Simon Anstine, Emilia Fothergill, and Hayden Jones also were fast on their heels coming in as runner ups.
We will continue Kid Fit Club after Spring Break, we will be changing the day from Tuesdays to Wednesdays, we do ask when kids sign up that they stay committed to the club and remind parents to remember the day and time so that the members can get the full advantage of the club, times are 3:50p-4:45p.
Summer camp 2015
Shawnee Mission School District is hosting a FREE lunch program for their students this summer for grades K-12th at Rising Star which will allow MCE/RSE camper(s) to enjoy a free lunch everyday we are on site.
To register for any indoor or outdoor camps please call at 913.831.3359 or go online at http://jcprdkids.com/youthforms .
If you have other question email Jen Thomas at email@example.com
2015-2016 MCE OST Program
How important is your out of school time program to you?
The We Love AFTER SCHOOL PROGRAMS for America's Kids petition is available online for anyone interested in showing their support for after school programs. If this is something of interest to you please follow the link to participate http://www.afterschoolalliance.org/petition/ and let your government know just how important your after care program is to you and your child(ren).
JCPRD continues to help promote & advise OST programs on Capitol Hill
Come try your luck and guess how many pieces of gold are in the guesstimation jar. One guess per student, one guess per parent. Please write your full name with your guess on the paper provided and may the odds be ever in your favor. The answer will be revealed in the 1st edition April newsletter.
Commit to Health...
March Madness Orange Creamsicle Yogurt Bites
- 1½ cups Vanilla Nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1 (3 oz) package of Sugar-Free Orange Jello mix
- *optional, fat free whipped cream to top
- Line a muffin tin with 6 cupcake liners.
- In a medium microwave safe mixing bowl, combine yogurt and Jello mix, stirring to combine.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes, stirring after each minute.
- Fill each cupcake liner with about ¼ cup of yogurt mixture.
- Chill cups for at least an hour until set.
Makes 6. You can easily mix and match different flavors or yogurt and Jello.
Also, try making them in mini cupcake liners as well for a more bite-sized treat!
Store in an airtight container, refrigerate for up to 3 days.
Serving Size: 35 calories per serving (nonfat and sugar free, regular Greek yogurt and jello 50 calories per serving)
Adapted from Jello
Spring Break 2015
Arrowhead Sports Lab & Tour
Now We Know why there's a mirror on the ceiling in the elevator. Check us out!
Happy 60th birthday JCPRD
ICYMI: "Every Kid in a Park" Initiative Announced
Last month, President Obama announced the "Every Kid in a Park" initiative that will give every fourth-grader in America a one year pass for free admission to all of the nation’s public lands. This initiative aims to get more children outdoors exploring and learning about the natural world around them. So what does this mean for community parks and recreation? It means we can show the nation that all of our country’s parks are ready to welcome all children to explore, grow and connect with nature.
IMPORTANT DATES TO REMEMBER:
Friday, March 6th (1/2 payment)
None for this month
All Day Care Days:
Monday, March 23rd, staying on site 7a-6p
None for this month
SUMMER CAMP registration is in full swing, you may register for indoor and outdoor camps at 913.831.3359 or go online at jcprdkids.com.
2014-2015 Out of School Time information is available, checkout JCPRD's link.
- Check-In: We will check students in at the Café. If you know your child(ren) will not be in OST please call us at 913.599.5785 or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org. If a student has not checked in with us, we will contact you if we haven't heard from you first.
- Snack: We are very excited to report that we have taken the Commit to Health Pledge! In doing so you can expect to see our out of school time participants engaging in more physical activity, learning about good nutrition, and eating healthier snacks while in attendance at JCPRD. Commit to Health is an initiative of the National Recreation and Park and Association and The Alliance for a Healthier Generation. Our staff has worked hard to develop a new food service menu that features items that are nutrient dense, low in fat, sugar, and sodium, as well as more fresh fruits and vegetables. Please support our efforts to help students develop healthy eating habits by encouraging them to be open to trying new foods and by reinforcing the benefits of nutritious diet. Healthy snacks and meals improve cognitive function, increase energy, and help children grow strong muscles and bones!
- Homework/Reading time: During snack time your child(ren) can sign up for our homework/reading time that will begin directly after snack (roughly 3:30pm) in the café. We encourage kids to sign up but do not force them. When they do sign up we do expect them to come to the room and QUIETLY do their homework or read for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Activities: Some of the clubs that kids will be able to join are: Chess, Writing, Cooking, Art & Crafts, Healthy New Year, and Engineering. As we progress through out the months, new clubs may be added.
- Outside/Gym Time: We believe it is essential for minds and bodies to have mental health breaks and join in on fitness breaks. Weather permitting we will go outside. JCPRD follows the Shawnee Mission school district’s weather policy. Please remember to have your child(ren) layer up and bring a jacket with their name labeled inside it. We will have structured activities for them to do during this time as well as free play.
- Check-Out: When you come to pick up your child(ren) please remember to WALK IN and SIGN THEM OUT. There is a late charge of a $1 per minute after 6:00pm
MCE OST Staff
Stephanie Griggs-Lead Teacher M, W, & F
Zachary Drummond-Lead Teacher T & R
Jennifer Thomas-Program Director M-F
Zachary Drummond-Lead Teacher M-F
Laryissa Jones-Lead teacher M-F
Sierra Macklin-Assistant Teacher M-F
Graham Wills-Lead Teacher M-F
Jennifer Thomas-Program Director M-F