Burlingame Intermediate School
Friday, September 23, 2022
Dear BIS Family and Friends,
It was a stressful week getting Week 1 of Outdoor Education logistics together, but thanks to our PTA leadership and other volunteers we are ready for Monday's departure. Thank you to the volunteers, chaperones, and teachers willing to attend with our students, it should be a fun time for all!
Our annual Parent-Teacher Association (PTA) fundraiser "The Trojan Tournament," officially kicks off TODAY! Thank you to all that have already made a donation to PTA. Our goal is 100% participation. No amount is too little. PTA supports student supplies, teacher needs and many school events. We can not do it all without your contributions and our PTA. Look for volunteer opportunities for the event for students on Friday, October 7th. We need volunteers!
We Need Your Help
As our students are getting more comfortable with the day to day at school, we wanted to share some concerns we are having. Many students are stopping to buy drinks at Starbucks or the corner liquor store, etc. and cutting it close to get to class on time. Most of the drinks we see are loaded with sugar and caffeine. Both ingredients are not a great start for their school day and go against our wellness policy. We appreciate your help in guiding your students to come to school on-time and without the new drink accessory. If students do arrive with a drink, it should be consumed prior to entering campus. All students should have a reusable water container to drink from during the day. Thank you for your help.
This is taking longer than we thought...Some students are currently still choosing their top three choices for our weekly Trojan Time. This time is for students to take a break from the demand of school and do something different, learn something new, get a new hobby. Ask your child what they have chosen. We are waiting for all students to submit their preferences so we can schedule them. Trojan Time starts Thursday, October 6th. If students do not submit a choice, a choice will be made for them.
Identifications Cards (IDs)- Students should have their student ID everyday.
Please have your child carry their BIS ID Card with them. Your student needs the card for library, lunch, and other school related activities. Please share with your student(s) that they will need their ID card daily at school.
WARNING: Please talk to your child(ren) about the "One Chip Challenge" We have seen it already here at BIS and it can be very dangerous. See the picture below and talk to your child about avoiding this silly challenge. See more information below.
I hope to see many of you next Friday morning in the library for Coffee with the Superintendent. It is an informal place to meet other parents and talk to me and the Superintendent Monte-Benites. Bring your own cup!
One Chip Challenge
There is a new viral challenge going around called the "One Chip Challenge." The super spicy chip comes in a package with multiple health warnings and is sold at many convenience stores.
We have had reports of students getting violently ill after eating a chip causing hyperventilation, racing heart rates and collapsing.
Please speak to your child about not participating in this challenge.
We had this show-up at school yesterday and students were severely affected. Make sure your child knows not to consume or have this on campus. Thank you!
SamTrans Bus Behavior
For those families that are relying on the bus (Route 46 from BIS) to get home, I need you to ask your students to remember our school rules. Students are under the rules of school. until they get home. We have been hearing about our students behaving badly on the bus, using foul language towards others, put downs and other unkind behavior. I ask our students to behave as if we are on the bus and watching. Take care of eachother. Stand up when others are being put down. We need UPSTANDERS! Make yourself proud, make all of us proud treat others with kindness. We are here to help, if you need us!
Lunch Menus and Lunch Applications for 2022-23
What's on the menu next week? Go to this Link.Please fill out the Lunch Application for 2022-23
The application is in English and Spanish: Lunch Application Link
Once the form is filled out and turned into the BIS School Office, you will be eligible for a SamTrans Bus Pass (while supplies last) and many other county perks.
More than one student in the district? Only one application per family. Be sure to list all children on the same application.
Questions? Email Don at email@example.com
Transitioning to High School Begins...Class of 2027
The San Mateo High School District has shared the information nights with us for all 6-high schools in the district. Each school offers unique advantages.
Be sure to mark your calendars for the schools you are interested in hearing about.
The meetings will include Highlights:
- Learn about academic programs, and extracurricular clubs and activities.
- Meet the staff who will help to guide your soon-to-be 9th Grader.
- Learn important pre-enrollment and registration dates.
- Each school will have a unique and informative evening planned for you.
Mark Your Calendars
- September 23 to Oct 7: PTA Trojan Superhero Fundraising Drive - Support our PTA programs and events. Any amount is appreciated, Participation counts!
- September 26 thru 30th: 1st group of 6th graders go to Outdoor Ed
- Fri, September 30: 8:45am Library for Coffee w/ the Superintendent and Principal
- Sat, Oct 1: School Garden Clean-up 8:30am Meet in the Garden (All are welcome) No experience Needed
- Fri, Oct 7: Trojan Superhero Tournament 2022: We are ALL SuperHeroes!
- Mon, Oct 10: No School - Staff PD Day
- Tues., October 11: BSD Board Meeting 6:00 pm
- Weds., October 12: Maverick Jack’s Eat In or Take Out Dining Social Event NEW EVEN
- Thurs., October 13: BIS School Site Council Meeting 3:30 pm
- Tues., October 18: BSD Special Board Meeting 5:00 pm
- Thurs., October 20: The Great California ShakeOut - Get Ready to ShakeOut! www.shakeout.org › california
- Fri., October 21: Picture Make-up Day (9:00 to 1:00pm only) NEW DATE
- October 24 thru 28: Group 2 of 6th graders go to Outdoor Education
- Fri., October 28: Lady Dracula - Fall Play 7:00 pm
- Sat., October 29: Lady Dracula - Fall Play 7:00 pm
- Sun., October 30: Lady Dracula - Fall Play 1:00 pm
- Mon., October 31: Halloween Day
- Sat., November 5: BCE Fundraising Gala
- Sun., November 6: Daylight Saving Time Ends
- Tues., November 8: BSD Board Meeting 6:00 pm
- Fri., November 11: Veterans Day - No School
- Thurs., November 17: PTA Meeting 7:00pm via Zoom
- Fri., November 18: End of Trimester 1
- November 21 - 25: Thanksgiving Week - No School
- November 30-December 2: Report Cards Mailed Home