Clarks Creek Staff News
November 17-21. 2014
SCHOOL GOALS - What will you do next week to get our students there?
- 40% of all students who take the ISTEP assessment will earn the maximum number of points of each problem solving question. This is an increase of 2.9% over last year’s scores.
- 80% of all students who take the ISTEP assessment will earn a score of 4, 5, or 6 on the Writing Applications six-point rubric. This is an increase of 3.6% over last year’s scores.
- Current fourth grade students will increase scores by at least 3% in the subcategory of Algebra & Functions, scoring 88% or higher.
Did you take the opportunity to vote last week? I know that many of you did! Having a say in what happens is just one of the things that makes this country of ours so great. While we don't always agree with the outcome, we can appreciate it a bit more knowing that the majority of others approved. While the democratic process won't be recreated in its entirety, you'll have additional opportunities to be involved in some of the decision-making processes of our building. Our Discussions Committee has taken a look at a new plan for making changes to our school procedures when they are needed. Attached to this email, you'll find the details for the "Process Modification Procedure," which we will implement immediately. There have already been a couple of suggestions for things that will be perfect for putting through this process. While there can't always be changes made when staff members think they should be, when they are things that are truly in our control and there aren't any roadblocks that can't be surmounted, those changes can be made with a majority vote. Read through the process and let your Discussions Committee representative or me know if you have feedback.
Have a great week,
Around the Building
GOOD NEWS TO SHARE!
- Congratulations to our fourth grade for putting on an outstanding Science Fair that really highlighted students' understanding of the scientific process!
- We had a very successful book fair. Thanks to all of you for facilitating that and helping our students get even more excited about books!
- Review the Procedure Modification Process document attached with this week's Staff News. Provide feedback to your Discussion Committee representative or Marisa.
- We have grade level district meetings coming up soon. Be thinking about what the most significant topics of conversation should be for those meetings. We'll be using the most common two or three topics as talking points for the day. Please have your grade level rep who will be attending this summer's retreat relay those ideas to Marisa by Friday.
- Our beautiful display of holiday trees will soon be gracing Town Hall! This year, we'd ask that each class create ornaments for the trees. Please be thinking about an ornament your class could make to be part of our display. Please make it something that is fairly small and can have each student's name and class identifier (i.e. 1Z for Zeronik, 5H for Hay, etc.) on the back or a tag attached to the ornament. These will be returned to each classroom the last student day of the semester so they can be taken home.
- Let Marisa know if you'd like to join Jennfer J. and Jessica on the Social Committee!
10-Day Forecast of Upcoming Events
District Grade Level Meetings
- December 3 - K/1 @ Central in the Media Center
- December 10 - 2/3 @ Clarks Creek in the Media Center
- December 15 - 4/5 @ Van Buren in the Media Center
- November 17 - October Value Students - Lunch with the Principals
- November 17 - December Field Trip Deadline
- November 18 - Gr 3 Music Program Rehearsal @ 1:15 – 2:15 - Gym
November 18 - Music Program – Grade 3 @ 7:00 – 8:00 p.m. - Gym
November 20 - Staff Meeting/Professional Development - Grades 3-5 will have PD on Marcy Cook strategies; Grades PK-2 will work in grade level teams to implement the Marcy Cook strategies learned last week
November 20 - Community Forum – Special Ed @ 6:00 – 7:30 p.m. - PHS Auditorium
November 26 - Value Student Nominations Due – Respect for Others’ Rights
November 27 - 28 - Thanksgiving Vacation