GHMS Newsletter - 3/10/23
Important Points for Parents
Message from the Principal
- First Ever BFF Night! - The School Improvement Council and the PTO are collaborating together to throw the first ever BFF Night - Bulldog Family Fun Night! Find details below!
- 8th Grade Dance - May 12, 2023 - Put it on your calendar!
- Parents Only Night - Secrets to Social Media - The FMSD is hosting a RAPS (Raising Awareness for Parents and Students) session on March 14th. Details posted below!
- Morning Bell Reminder - Students are supposed to be in their homeroom class by 8:10 when the bell rings, NOT just entering the building. The car rider line has gotten a little late recently, so help us by giving yourselves a couple of extra minutes to get to school.
- Homework Helpers (7:45 - 8:10) - The school doors open at 7:45, and students can get extra help on their math from their math teachers during this time.
- Pick Up For After School Events - Parents, we are asking that all after school clubs and programs pick up using the elementary car rider line. As you know, we do not have a track here a GHMS, so our boys and girls track team have to use our blacktop and front car rider line to practice. Using the elementary car rider line will be safer for our student athletes. Thank you for your help and understanding.
- After School Event Parking - Two Things - (1) Parents we need your help when you are here for an after school event. Please do not park blocking the side entrance of Gold Hill Elementary. The Flyers program uses that door, and we are continuously blocking it and making it difficult for their students to be picked up. (2) Please be careful parking in the grass by the gravel lot leading to the cell tower. We have had several cars park there, and have trouble getting out due to the mud. That area does not drain extremely well. Please be careful.
- Yearbooks on Sale Now - Be sure to purchase your yearbooks. See details below!
- State Testing Dates are Set! - See details below...
- Cell Phones/Smart Watches - If your student chooses to bring a cell phone or smartwatch to school, it should be turned off and put away.
- Sick Students - Parents please take a look at this link with some helpful advice if and when your child needs to miss school due to illness.
- Here is the link to Parent Portal.
Move clocks forward March 12th
The Girls' Soccer team has gotten off to a great start this season beating Springfield and Fort Mill Middle School this past week.
The Boys' Soccer team is off to an equally hot start also taking down Springfield and Fort Mill Middle School.
Next week the teams take on Banks Trail at home Monday night and Pleasant Knoll Middle School on Thursday night. Both games are home games next week! Come out and support the Bulldogs!
The GHMS Baseball team has started its season off with two big victories against Springfield and Forrest Creek!
A bit of history was made with our very own Braden Richardson hitting the first homerun ever in our new home field of Catawba Park!
Congratulations to Braden and the rest of our baseball team for their great start! We are proud of you!
GHMS Admin. invades Tega Cay Elementary!
The GHMS administrators were invited to come and read to all of the 5th grade classes during the Read Across America Day. Big shout out to Tega Cay for inviting us and letting meet our future Bulldogs! It awesome getting to meet them!
STEAM Career Day - Help Needed!
Do you have a job that involves Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, or Math?
Check out/fill out this form to help our 6th graders learn about your career for our 6th grade STEAM CAREER DAY on April 26!
Bee Qualifiers and Information
attention: 6th grade students/parents
Please make an appointment for your child to update their Tdap vaccination before next school year. All seventh graders will be required to get the Tdap vaccine to protect them against whooping cough (pertussis). One (1) dose of Tdap vaccine (tetanus, diphtheria, and pertussis) administered on or after the 10th birthday will be required for all seventh graders. It is strongly recommended that adolescents who have not yet received a dose of Tdap vaccine be immunized in advance of this requirement. Students who are not up to date with their Tdap vaccination may not be allowed to attend school. For more information, please visit www.scdhec.gov/health/vaccinations
Please send a copy of the SC immunization record to the school nurse once they receive the updated vaccination.
How to get student report cards in parent portal/student portal
Voluntary SC student accident insurance and dental insurance
Please take a minute and complete the two forms below. The first form provides the school with early dismissal, transportation and student pick-up information. The second form provides the school with information if your child would like to walk/bike to and from school. The data from these forms is captured confidentially for the front office at GHMS only. Click on the link to complete.
Early Dismissal, Transportation & Pick-Up Information
Free Tutoring through Discus
Please see below for free tutoring offered by the State through tutor.com
As we move into the last few months of the school year, some students may find themselves in need of additional academic support. The South Carolina Department of Education (SCDE) and the South Carolina State Library (SCSL) are partnering to offer free online tutoring services, provided by Tutor.com, to any student in South Carolina. In addition to tutoring in content areas, students may also drop off papers for review, seek help in test preparation, or ask specific questions about their work. The around-the-clock service is available seven days per week.
Students can access Tutor.com through Discus (students must access it this way – if they just go to tutor.com if may not work). Every student has a link for Discus on their ClassLink LaunchPad. Elementary students have SC Discus Kids, and middle/ high have SC Discus. See pictures of the icons below.