Weekend ... Virtual Backpack
St. Gabriel School ............. January 4, 2016
Developing our God-given souls, minds, talents and gifts .......................................... as servant leaders .......................................... in the community of the Body of Christ.
That's the St. Gabriel Advantage ...
WEEKLY LITURGICAL READINGS AND REFLECTIONS
The Epiphany of the Lord
Sacred Scripture: Isaiah 60:4
[Jerusalem,] raise your eyes and look about; they all gather and come to you: your sons come from afar, and your daughters in the arms of their nurses.
The Christmas season is a great time to reflect on life and to make new commitments. How will you walk with Christ this year to make our world a better place? Where can you spread God’s mercy to make a difference?
NCEA Weekly Reflections, Praying with you and for you as we focus on family and mission in Catholic education.
The readings in the Eucharistic liturgies this week show that the "epiphanies" continue as God's mercy is revealed in Jesus and in his ministry. The meaning of the word "epiphany" in the dictionary states that it is a sudden manifestation or perception of the essential nature or meaning of something; an illuminating realization; an unexpected revealing scene or moment.
The epiphany of the three kings was indeed a deeply spiritual, glorious, and blessed event. Special epiphanies happen to us also all throughout life. I hope that you have had a Christmas season of epiphanies that have brought you unexpected blessings and deep joy. And as we return as a school community in a few days to renew our journey in the new year, I pray that the experiences of all our own unique epiphanies, and any epiphanies to come, will deepen our joy and our dedication as we carry out the mission of the faith and learning formation of our children.
See you soon,
A joyfilled and blessed new year to all,
God's blessings and peace,
Jubilee Year of Mercy
Pope Francis utilizes the motto, "Merciful Like the Father," inviting us not to judge or condemn, but to give love and forgiveness without measure. He has also asked our Church in this Jubilee Year to rediscover the richness encompassed by the spiritual and corporal works of mercy, depicted so beautifully in Matthew 25:31-46.
Happy New Year!!
2016.17 Enrollment Packets were mailed to your home address on, December 18th. Included in the packet are:
- A cover letter of simplified directions
- A page display of St. Gabriel progress
- A payment agreement and payment election form
- A Roundup sheet for Jr K or Learning Loft
Additionally 2016-17 PSAS forms are now available on-line on the school website
Please direct any questions to the School Office.
When the snow starts flying ....
General Procedure Info
- School closings will be posted on the TV stations 3, 5, 8 and 19, as soon as possible after I receive the word from either Mentor or Riverside schools.
- We will send an email blast to all families and staff as soon as possible after that.
- We will send a recorded phone blast to all families and staff.
- All school activities after school are cancelled unless otherwise noted. Things such as CYO and parish activities make their own judgments and calls.
- By noon, teachers post directions on their web pages for what to do about things that were planned that day, or assignments to be done, or other important information they may wish to convey to you.
"THE SNOW DAY 3"
- Students are expected to do work that was already assigned or regularly expected for the day that became a snow day(s). if a quiz or test was scheduled, it will be taken on the first day back after the snow day(s).
- No new instruction or new work or new assignments will be given. As with homework normally, if students have questions or problems, they can ask the teachers when they get back to school.
- Teachers will post on their web pages by noon on each snow day, any news, information, instructions or changes students and/or parents need to know about classwork, homework, or other assignments or events. Students and parents must check teacher web pages each snow day.
NOTE: If days off do string out to 3 or more in a row, teachers may offer activities not needing new instruction, but for practice or reinforcement or continuation (such as read the next chapter etc) for prevention of gaps. This will be consistent across grade, and be grade level appropriate.
All that being said ...
- If we use up our allotted snow day allowance (10 days) things will change, we will then be required by state code to have comprehensive new lessons/classwork that are part of a days's planning of courses and/or curriculum to add on another day. This is what is normally referred to as Blizzard Bags.
- We will keep you notified of our status in that count, or if any other changes are needed.
January 4, 2016 - January 8, 2016
- NO School - Christmas Break
- NO School - Christmas Break
- Classes Resume
- ALL School Mass, in the Church 8:05 am
- Brownie Mtg. (Piunno) Church Basement (MR1) 2:30 pm - 4:30 pm
- Grizzly Academy 2:40 pm - 4:00 pm
- Drama Club (Geauga Theater) Gr. 4 & 5 Band Room 2:45 pm - 4:30 pm
- Grizzly Growler (Press Club) 2:45 pm - 4:00 pm
- Math Club (Grade 6 - 8) 2:45 pm - 3:30 pm
- Power of the Pen 3:00 pm - 3:30 pm
- Grizzly Academy 2:40 pm - 4:30 pm
- Play Practice (MPR) 3:00 pm - 4:30 pm
- Principal Parent Circle (Grizzly Learning Den (new school media center) 5:00 pm
Looking Ahead ...
- Shakespeare Residency - Jr Hi English Language Arts Workshop in MPR
- All school classes will eat in classrooms
- Candid Picture Day - supplemental group pictures for school yearbook
- All students in regular uniform
- Pictures of class groups
- Pictures of other groups, such as clubs, student groups, scouts, etc
- 4:30-5:30 pm - PTU meeting
January 18 -- Martin Luther King Day
- NO SCHOOL
- Scholastic Book Fair
- Details to be announced
- PTU Skating Event - United Skates in Wickliffe
- 5:00pm – 8:30pm
January 31 -- February 6, 2016 -- CATHOLIC SCHOOLS WEEK
January 31 -- Open House, 1:00--3:00pm
February 1 -- All School Career Day
February 3 -- Arts Day II
February 8 through February 19, 2016 (having an earlier time this year)
- Cognitive Abilities Testing (CogATs) - Gr 3, 5, 7
- Iowa Tests of Basic Skills (ITBS) -- Gr 1-8
February 15--Presidents Day
- NO SCHOOL
- Pancake Breakfast for 8th Grade Class Trip
- School MPR
TAKE A LOOK! There are many wonderful events, activities, and accomplishments of our St. Gabriel School Community captured in our School Blog on our school website!
Career Day - Monday, February 1, 2016
If you are a parent, or a St. Gabriel Alumni, who has a career that you are passionate about, and you would like to offer your knowledge and experience with it as a worthy, fruitful, and fulfilling choice of career or study for our young people, we invite you to join us on our Career Day! Please let us know by signing up on the link below.
Click HERE to register
Please make special places in your hearts and prayers for all persons in our St. Gabriel Community:
For the Burtch family, for prayers of healing, especially for grandpa Richard Farrell.
For Darin C, for prayers for healing and comfort in illness.
Healing prayers for Pop Pop Remchick.
For the Pokersnik family, for prayers of comfort in the loss of their grandmother Helen.
For the Thornton family, for prayers of comfort in the loss of their grandmother, Roberta Thornton.
In Thanksgiving for Father Fred's tireless devotion to St. Gabriel Parish and School for the past 25 years!! And for God to continue to bless him.
Please keep in your prayers, general intercessions for all in our community, especially all of our students who have suffered losses of loves ones over the last few years. And I know there are many needing both big and little prayers here and there, for many reasons. I was once read an anonymous quote:
"Be kinder than necessary, for everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle."
A very special expression of appreciation and thanks to our wonderful school parent Sunshine Committee who strives to lead reach out efforts of love and support and help for those in our community in suffering!
Submitting School News, Memos, and Information
If you wish to have something included in the Weekend Virtual Back (VB) or the Weekday News and Notes, or any of our shorter email memos, please contact our Communications Coordinator, Michelle Clarke, at email@example.com. All items must be approved by the principal and follow our policies. Thank you!!
NOTE: Also, if there are technical obstacles or difficulties in preventing you from accessing a linked item, or getting the correct information, please let Mrs. Clarke know, and she will get you the document or item or information you need!