The Weekly STEAM Blast
STEAM Academy at McCluer South-Berkeley High School
STEAM High Important Dates: Mark Your Calendars
10/14 - 10/16: Uniforms Every Day - 10/17 - Student Choice Dress for Picture Day
10/14 & 10/17: Parent-Teacher Conferences - 4 PM - 7 PM, and Book Fair in Library
10/16: PSAT for Juniors and Select Sophomores
10/17: School Pictures - Students May Wear their own choice of clothes for pictures
10/18 & 10/21: No School for Students
10/26: FFSD Health Fair, held at STEAM High, 9 AM - 1:30 PM
**10/26: HOMECOMING - See Homecoming Dance Guidelines posted below
COMING SOON: Parent -Teacher Conferences 10/14 and 10/17, 4 PM - 7 PM
- Please join us at STEAM High on Monday 10/14/19 and/or Thursday 10/17/19 between 4 PM and 7 PM for PTC's.
- Conferences will be held in the cafe' at STEAM High.
- Appointments are not necessary, all conferences will be drop-in.
- Plan to have (approximately) a 5-minute conversation with each of your student's teachers.
- Parent-Teacher Conferences are a check-up designed to provide updates, strategies, and supports that can help students improve their grades before the end of the semester.
- Review the link below on tips for successful Parent-Teacher Conferences.
- Visit our book fair being held in the library during both evenings.
Everybody Loves a Book Fair! 10/14-10/17
We are STEAM High & We Wear our Uniforms with PRIDE - Cool Weather PRO-TIPS
As the Weather Outside gets Cooler:
- Students may wear a coat to school, but must put it in the locker upon arrival each day.
- Every student has their own locker assigned to them - see Ms. Walbridge (Main Office) regarding locker assignments.
- STEAM High students must wear the Blue Blazer if they are chilly or want to wear a jacket.
- Other jackets (such as hoodies, windbreakers, denim jackets, etc.) do not meet the uniform code and must be put away during the day.
- Students may wear an extra layer under their dress code shirt, such as Under Armor or Cuddle Duds. Extra layers should be white and without a hood attached.
- Fischer's sells both long-sleeved polos and long-sleeved oxfords.
- Thermostat temperatures have been raised throughout the school in response to student requests for a warmer learning environment.
- Contact Dr. Crawford with questions or concerns related to cool weather uniform requirements.
**Students wearing non-uniform jackets during advisory and beyond will be required to check their coats in addition to receiving a responsibility reminder. Refusal to coat check will warrant an office referral.
To avoid the coat check process, students who wear non-uniform jackets to school are advised to put them inside their locker immediately upon arrival to school.
HOW STEAM High Families can HELP:
- Please talk with your STEAM High Student about uniform expectations
- Reinforce the home-school connection by endorsing uniforms as an important part of the STEAM High school culture
- Help your student prepare their uniform each day - ensure it is washed and ready
- Familiarize yourself with all the aspects of uniform expectations as stated in the Student Expectations Code
- Follow up with your student at home if they receive a dress code responsibility reminder
- Contact school leadership to navigate any uniform difficulties your family might encounter
PBIS Rewards - Starts Monday 10/14/19
At STEAM High we are very excited to see our universals in action (Safe, Persevere, Responsible, Cooperative, and Kind) and to reward our STEAM High scholars for their focus and fidelity to these important traits.
STEAM High Juniors and Select Sophomores! PSAT Coming Soon!
Saturday October 26th - Homecoming Dance Guidelines
1. The Homecoming dance begins at 7 and ends at 10 pm
2. Only one guest is permitted per student
3. Once you enter the dance, you will not be allowed to re-enter
4. No refunds on tickets. You MUST have an I.D. to enter.
5. Students must see Ms. Walbridge to pay outstanding fines
6. In addition to the Ferguson-Ferguson dress code, the following guidelines are set for the Homecoming dance.
Girls may wear dress, skirt & top, dress slacks, or pants outfit. No shorts, t-shirts, ball caps, or wave caps allowed.
Boys may wear khakis, dress slacks, dress jeans, and shirt. No shorts, t-shirts, ball caps, or wave caps allowed.
If students bring a guest and leave their guest at STEAM @ MSB, that student will not be able to attend future events.
Any student that is still on campus by 11:00 pm will not be able to attend future events.
- Q: When is Homecoming?
- A: Saturday 10/26 from 7pm to 10pm, bring your ID
- Q: Where is Homecoming?
- A: We will be here at STEAM High @ MSB. The theme is masquerade and the colors are black, white, and gold.
- Q: When do the tickets go on sale?
- A: Tickets will be on sale at 1st & 3rd lunches daily starting Monday 10/14 thru Thursday 10/24 (Friday 10/25 is a half day)
- Q: How much do tickets cost?
- A: $15 if purchased the week of 10/14; $20 if purchased the week of 10/22; $25 at the door
- Q: Can students bring a guest?
- A: Yes. Forms are in the Main Office. Forms MUST be turned in by 10/17. No guests can by tickets at the door.
- Q: Will there be a Homecoming Court?
- A: Yes; see Mrs. Williams for an application.
- Q: What activities will be available during Homecoming
- A: The traditional dance, a movie in the theatre, a game room, a photo station, and snacks for sale in the commons.
- Q: What should I wear to Homecoming?
- A: Girls may wear dress, skirt & top, dress slacks, or pants outfit. No shorts, t-shirts, ball caps, or wave caps allowed.
- Boys may wear khakis, dress slacks, dress jeans, and shirt. No shorts, t-shirts, ball caps, or wave caps allowed.
STEAM High Messaging: What to Expect and When
Emails going to spam?
Download the district APP on your phone for immediate notification of district messaging.
LEARNING CORNER - 7 Mindsets - New Unit, Unit 2: Passion First
UMSL Bridge Program - Enroll Now!
The UMSL Bridge Saturday Academy is a free college prep program that provides motivated students with a preview of the college experience. Academic enrichment courses are provided in math, science, writing, college and career prep, and ACT prep. For seniors, they also provide intensive support throughout the college application process.
The Bridge Academy takes place on UMSL’s campus the first two Saturdays of the month, from October through February, and is open to all high school students. See the below image for details and registration requirements.
Jane Crawford, Principal
Keith Rhodes, Athletic Director
Rayna Blackshear, School Counselor
The STEAM Team - Teacher Email Addresses
- Sarah Winstead: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Elly Rock: email@example.com
- Cristina Gratton: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Juanita Gurski: email@example.com
- Matt Grogan: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Darby Dachroeden: email@example.com
- James Muth: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Amanda McDonald: email@example.com
- Yvonne Bonner: firstname.lastname@example.org
Missouri College Advising Coor. (MCAC)
- Nick Jones: email@example.com