October - 2020
Understanding Our Schedule & Credits
Classes students take earn credits that are added to their transcript, and the grades they earn impact their overall GPA. The credit system for this year at MHS is different than in previous years. This is how credits on transcripts will work this year:
- Classes earn 0.5 credit each quarter (First quarter ends November 5)
- 4 classes = 4.0 credits at the end of each semester (First semester ends January 28)
- Classes will change to another 4 classes second semester Feb. 1.
If you have questions about grading or credits please reach out to your teachers or counselor!
Add'l Student Support Canvas Page
- connect w/ a counselor or other support staff
- find grade-specific material being shared (academic, college/career, social/emotional)
- join the live meeting links for drop-in help or grade specific meetings
Tools to Build Your Future 2020
- Career presentations delivered by industry speakers
- Information about advanced training & job readiness options
- Financial aid & scholarship options
- Apprenticeship & pre-apprenticeship programs
- 2 & 4 year colleges (including supports for first generation college students)
- College sessions for Black, Latinx and Native students
- College test preparation and updates
- Gap year programs
Financial Aid Season
Counselors & the college/career center supports are ready to help students complete this task.
- Weekly Drop-In Support - Every Wednesday @ 1:00 (student join meeting link on Add'l Student Support Canvas page)
- Oct. 21: Paying for College Webinar (register online HERE)
Freshmen should plan to attend one of the two meetings.
- Wednesday, Oct. 14 @ 12:30 OR 1:30
Feeling Stressed Out? Check out this video with some ideas on how to help...
College Possible Junior Recruitment
- college exploration
- SAT/ACT preparation & registration
- completing college applications
- financial aid & scholarship search
Applications are due Oct. 23 & can be completed online HERE.
For further information students & families can contact Muhammad Shareef 510-346-6179
LEDA - Leadership Enterprise for a Diverse America
LEDA is dedicated to helping exceptional young people overcome challenging circumstances to reach and succeed at the most selective colleges. Their support guides students from the admission process through graduation and beyond.
Due Dec. 14, 2020.
Virtual College Visits
Students should login to Maialearning.com using their school google account.
Under the "university" tab, the scheduled visits can be found.
Help your student stay on-top of their grades. Email teachers with the click-of-a-button. The end of 1st quarter is Nov. 5!
College Board Opportunity Scholarships
Complete key steps along your path to college for a chance to earn scholarships.
No minimum GPA or essay required.
The more effort you put in, the more opportunities you have to earn a scholarship. Complete all six, and you’re eligible to earn $40,000. Scholarships will be awarded through monthly drawings to students who complete each action.