The Career Insider
Volume II, Issue 3
In This Week's Career Insider Issue...
- The Westin Austin Downtown Job Fair
- Capital Factory Job Fair
- Retail Sales Hiring Event in Austin
- City of Austin hosts Lifeguard Job Fair
- Job Posting: New York Life
- Job Posting: National Domestic Violence Hotline
- Job Posting: Keller Williams seeks Director of First Impressions
- New Jobs on Hilltop Careers
- Register for CPAM 1110.02 Jobs to Internships for Fall 2015
- The Internship Corner
- Career Funnies
The Westin Austin Downtown to host 4-day job fair
The new downtown Austin hotel is on schedule to open in July
White Lodging Services is pleased to announce it will host a four-day job fair June 5-6 and June 12-13 for more than 200 positions at The Westin Austin Downtown, scheduled to open in July at 310 E. 5th Street.
The event will be from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. each day at Trinity Hall, across from the hotel, at 311 E. 5th Street.
The hotel will complete interviews for full-time and part-time hourly positions in housekeeping, restaurant, front office, culinary, admin, engineering and banquets. No appointments are necessary; candidates may simply attend the job fair for an interview. The Westin Austin Downtown requests that candidates bring a copy of their current resume and a government issued photo identification. Details on the job fair can also be found online at http://www.westinaustindowntown.com/careers.
“I am really excited to be a part of putting together a fun and dynamic team and celebrating the diversity and talent that Austin has to offer,” said Kristofer Carlson, general manager of The Westin Austin Downtown. “We’re looking forward to bringing the true nature of well-being and wellness that the Westin brand represents to our guests and employees in the downtown Austin community.”
The hotel is looking for associates with a positive, can-do attitude. Benefits for associates include extensive training programs; affordable medical, dental and vision insurance; a 401(k) plan; complimentary and/or discounted rooms; parking assistance; paid time off and vacation pay; tuition reimbursement; and extensive opportunities for growth not only within The Westin Austin Downtown but across the more than 160 properties developed and managed by White Lodging in the United States.
“The biggest differentiator in working for a new property like The Westin Austin Downtown is the opportunity for career growth,” said Danielle Petri, director of human resources for The Westin Austin Downtown. “It’s not just a job you’re getting; it’s a stepping stone in your career in the hospitality industry. At the end of the day, the company really invests in its people.”
White Lodging originally hired Petri through its college program as a guest services representative in Indianapolis, Indiana. Within five years, Petri received a number of promotions at various properties leading her to Austin where she is now the director of human resources for The Westin Austin Downtown.
Located at the center of Austin’s lively downtown, The Westin Austin Downtown will be just one and a half blocks from the city’s convention center and around the corner from the famous Sixth Street entertainment district. Hotel facilities will include an American regional kitchen and bar, featuring and committed to local, artisan ingredients within a contemporary eclectic design. The hotel will also have a Westin WORKOUT Fitness Studio on the rooftop and over 19,000 square feet of state-of-the-art meeting and banquet space.
White Lodging Services Corporation - was established in 1985 and is headquartered in Merrillville, Ind. White Lodging is a fully integrated hotel ownership, development and operations company focused on developing and operating premium-branded hotels in growing urban markets across the United States. The company is a recognized leader that has defined and cultivated the ability to achieve consistent, sustainable growth among mid- to large-scale hotels. Its current portfolio consists of more than 160 hotels in 21 states and encompasses representation of the following leading brands: Marriott International, Inc., Hilton Worldwide, Hyatt Global, Starwood Hotels and Resorts, Preferred Hotels & Resorts and InterContinental Hotel Group.
For more information about White Lodging, please visit www.whitelodging.com.
Capital Factory is the center of gravity for entrepreneurs in Austin, Texas. Last year more than 30,000 entrepreneurs, programmers and designers gathered day and night for meetups, classes and coworking. We meet the best entrepreneurs in Austin and introduce them to potential investors, employees and customers. We have a series of matching funds so that a startup can convince 2 of our mentors to invest personally it can unlock hundreds of thousands of dollars in additional automatic funding.
What is the Summer Job Fair?
A 3-hour evening startup mixer focused on connecting Capital Factory companies to individuals seeking employment within the Austin tech and startup community. Come meet Capital Factory's budding startups, learn about what opportunities are available, drop off a resume, and grab some bubbly (summer cheer included).
This event is FREE and OPEN TO THE PUBLIC.
Who is this event for?
Job hunters, students seeking internships, and more - essentially, those interested in connecting with potential employers.
What is the format of this event?
This format will be an informal version of what one might see during the Austin Startup Crawl. Participants will follow a path that will give them the opportunity visit with each startup. Of course, participants are also welcome to head to specific startup tables, as the presumption is, they may target a few prior to their arrival.
Please note that tables are reserved for Capital Factory companies only.
If interested, please email email@example.com.
6PM: Check-in, grab a drink, and get ready for things to begin.
6:30PM: Get to mixin' and minglin' with our startups!
9:30PM: Snag that last business card, drop of your resume, and say goodbye.
RETAIL SALES HIRING EVENT - AUSTIN, TX
Join us at the Retail Sales Hiring Event in Austin to learn more about AT&T retail careers: June 10, 2015 11:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m.
Embassy Suites – Austin Central
5901 N IH-35 Austin, TX 78723
• Learn about our retail opportunities, benefits, career growth and the application process
• Apply online, on-site during each session
• Meet and greet some of our retail employees
All applicants who have applied and passed the assessment will be interviewed.
All other applicants must apply online for consideration.
In the Referral Source section of your application, please indicate how you heard about this event. AT&T offers paid training, competitive wages and benefits that include medical, dental, paid vacation and more.
To apply: http://attlinks.com/austinretail
Senior Associate, Bilingual Recruiting & Marketing - Houston, TX
New York Life Insurance Company (“New York Life”) is the largest mutual life insurance company in the United States*. Founded in 1845, New York Life is headquartered in New York City, and is one of the most financially strong and highly capitalized insurers in the business. At year end 2013 New York Life had a total surplus of $21.141 billion and holds the highest possible financial strength ratings currently awarded to any life insurer from all four of the major ratings agencies: A.M. Best, A++; Fitch AAA; Moody’s Aaa ; Standard & Poor’s AA+. (Source: Individual Third Party Ratings Report as of 6/18/14)
Financial strength, integrity and humanity—the values upon which New York Life was founded—have guided the company’s decisions and actions for nearly 170 years.
The Senior Associate/Bilingual Recruiting & Marketing individual responsibility is to support the Hispanic Market sales & recruiting strategy. The Senior Associate role is to help build an incremental unit of successful Hispanic Market New York Life Agents that contribute substantially to the overall growth of the General Office and the Hispanic Market. The Senior Associate will engage the Hispanic community to drive sales and recruiting growth objectives.
This will include:
• Work with local management and the Home Office to build the Hispanic Market recruiting and marketing plans.
• Coordinating Home Office Recruiting and Marketing programs within the General Office.
• Working with Hispanic business, community, and professional organizations in all surrounding municipalities. One must be an active participant to leverage opportunities to market to their constituents.
• Identifying and executing all Hispanic market community affairs events where the General Office can actively participate for sales and recruiting lead generation.
• Manage local Hispanic recruiting & marketing event schedule and communications.
• Assist the Hispanic Market Unit (Home Office) to implement local corporate and agent co-op branding initiatives to communicate a uniform message locally, and effectively leverage for sales and recruiting results.
• Disseminate Hispanic marketing materials for new agents i.e. Welcome Kit, Relationship Marketing System Materials (RMS), New Agent Brochures, etc. Work with new agents to enroll them in fast start initiatives, Company sponsored programs, and specific Hispanic marketing activities.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Must have an in-depth understanding of the Hispanic culture and community.
- Bilingual (English/Spanish) required, verbal and written.
- Above average technical skills (MS Word, Excel and PowerPoint).
- Must be familiar with the areas surrounding the General Office and have existing relationships with local Hispanic community-based, business, and professional organizations and companies.
- Strong organizational skills, detail oriented.
- Insurance Field sales experience, a plus.
Experience: Should have at least five years of professional business experience and/or a minimum of two years insurance sales experience or executive recruiting experience.
Decision Making: This individual will have day-to-day decision-making authority, and will present recommendations to the CVP and Managing Partner for all strategic Hispanic Market recruiting initiatives for the office.
Communication Requirements: The Senior Associate will communicate regularly with the CVP – Hispanic Field Market Managers, Managing Partners, Development Managers, Recruiters, and the Hispanic Market Unit in Westchester, NY.
If you have difficulty using or interacting with any portions of this Web site due to incompatibility with an Assistive Technology, if you need the information in an alternative format, or if you have suggestions on how we can make this site more accessible, please contact us at: (212) 576-5811.
Nearest Major Market: Houston
Job Segment: Recruiting, Field Sales, Event Marketing, Pre-Sales, Human Resources, Marketing, Sales
Job Title: Accountant I
FLSA Status: Exempt/FT
Reports To: CFO
General Position Purpose Statement
Under the supervision of the CFO, the Accountant I supports the goals of NDVH by assisting in the fiscal operations of the organization.
The Accountant I is responsible for furnishing support to the Finance Department through the delivery of accounting services, with emphasis on subsidiary ledger accounting (AR, AP, Payroll), and assistance with general ledger journal entries, reconciliations and projects, as needed. The Accountant I may receive work assignments from the Controller.
· Perform budget v. actual analyses using Excel
· Prepare Balance Sheet and Income Statement Reports via accounting software
· Assist in maintaining the GL Chart of Accounts
· Participate in preparation of the annual independent CPA audit schedules and documentation
· Participate in monthly, quarterly and annual grant monitoring.· Prepare administrative documents for NDVH as required.
· Organize and maintain files.
· Attend required NDVH meetings.
· Perform other duties as requested and within areas of expertise.· Prepare and disburse payments in compliance with fiscal policies and procedures.· Respond to staff and vendor inquiries on a timely manner.
· Review and update existing documentation of accounting procedures and identify procedures that need to be documented
· Prepare and process bi-weekly payroll, ensuring accuracy, accountability and confidentiality of payments
· Verify and maintain all employee information, such as leave accruals, payroll changes, insurance deductions, etc. in computerized payroll system, ensuring accuracy of information
This description only includes essential functions of the job and does not imply that these are the only duties to be performed by the employee occupying this position. Employees will be required to follow any other job-related instruction and to perform any other job-related duties requested by his or her supervisor or management.
Job Requirements and Responsibilities
· Bachelors degree in accounting, business or closely related field, or a combination of education and experience that yields the required knowledge, skills and abilities. (Equivalency formula: two years of experience equals one year education). Master's degree in a related field a plus.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Exceptional interpersonal skills.
· High integrity and ability to demonstrate positive problem solving skills to internal and external customers.
· Highly effective verbal and written communication skills. Excellent grammatical skills and attention to detail a must.
· Ability to write memos, letters, reports, and e-mails that are accurate, well organized, grammatically correct, and in an appropriate format.
· Ability to maintain confidentiality on all matters confidential in nature.
· Ability to analyze problems, find solutions and effectively communicate with all levels of supervisory and non-supervisory employees.
· Proficiency with Windows based PC and software applications, including Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook)
· Knowledge and application of accounting software preferred.
· Experience with Google mail a plus.
Other Requirements/Working Conditions
· Ability to read, write and converse in English.
· Ability to tolerate prolonged sitting or standing. Must have emotional and physical stamina to deal with a variety of stressful situations, including responses to complaints and internal and external interactions, to effectively work long and at times odd hours, while maintaining a sense of humor.
· Works in a normal office environment, with minimum exposure to dust, noise, or temperature extremes. Requires bending, stooping, lifting and carrying objects up to 25 pounds, with or without accommodations.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and minimum level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities and skills required for the position. The employee will perform any other job-related duties as required by the job objectives, and the CFO of the National Domestic Violence Hotline. This description does not modify any employee’s at-will status and is not a contract for continued employment of any duration.
Seeking Director of First Impressions
We are looking for a bright, ambitious, driven candidate to manage the front desk. While much of the position is answering and transferring inbound calls, there is much more to the job. We are looking for someone who can manage the other front desk team member, train other KWRI employees to learn the phone system for back-up, manage the productivity supply center, and other systems. This position is exposed to ALL KWRI employees and leaders in addition to the high powered leaders from around the world who visit our office on a monthly basis.
Excellent organization skills
Please apply here: http://ow.ly/O4HJw
Hilltop Careers Has Even More Jobs For You!
James Avery Jewlery - Internal Corporate Communication Specialist
Futurex - Technical Writing and Content Marketing Associate
YETI Coolers - Accounts Receivable Specialist
Yodle - Sales Representative
Tax Accountant and Tax Return Preparer at Durbin Tax Advisors
New Internships This Week!
For more internship opportunities, visit Hilltop Careers!