GRASSY CREEK ELEMENTARY SCHOOL March 20, 2020
Dear Prospector Families,
This week our world has changed greatly. I don't have the words to describe things to my children sometimes when they ask questions. We work to provide structure and routine and right now there is a sense of uncertainty that scares us all.
But there is something I do know...our school family misses you! As each of us sit at home to wait this out, we think of you. We miss the smiles and hugs. The laughs and silly things. We also miss the moments of frustration and the following moments of success. This is hard, we know. We want to be at school with you and if we could, we'd jump back into our classrooms tomorrow to see you!
After Spring Break we will start e-learning. For now, play outside when you can. Read everyday. Message your teacher and your friends. Stay connected. Laugh and be silly! And always remember, we are here to help you and we love you!
Mrs. Merchant, Proud Principal
NO STATE TESTING FOR 2019-2020
How Can I Keep Them Busy???
Over the course of the past few days, many educational companies offering free resources have popped up, so I've also included links to those sites for your convenience. Students can always access our digital content platforms from home if they'd like to try those, too!
READ, READ, READ!
20+ minutes a day is ideal. Run out of books? Mute the TV volume and turn on the captions!
Dress up, build forts, role play, talk in different voices (kids love this option)
Be a detective
Send your children around your home looking for items of different colors, shapes, numbers, beginning with different letters, etc. First to complete the alphabet gets snack first!
Play board games and card games or make up your own games (kids are really good at this)
Color/Draw (youtube has great options for learn-to-draw videos)
Listen to music (try new genres!)
TOOLS AND RESOURCES
Scholastic has created a NEW learn at home page: www.scholastic.com/learnathome
The website does not require a username or password and is open freely to all, on any device. They are designed to limit the need for printing and allow students to learn independently or with their families.The site supports students with approximately three hours of learning opportunities per day, including projects, articles and stories, virtual field trips, reading and geography challenges, and more.
BrainPOP is offering free access for students and teachers to support learning through school closures. Click here
Check out Cosmic Kids Yoga on Youtube. It’s perfect for pre-K and elementary age students.
Cincinnati Zoo: http://cincinnatizoo.org/
The Cincinnati Zoo is hosting a Facebook Live event 7 days a week at 3:00 p.m. on their Facebook page, Cincinnati Zoo and Botanical Garden. They will feature a different animal each day and an activity children can do at home. This begins On Monday, March 16.
- Louvre Museum, Paris https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne
- National Gallery of Art, Washington DC https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/national-gallery-of-art-washington-dc?hl=en
- Metropolitan Museum of Art https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/the-metropolitan-museum-of-art
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/van-gogh-museum?hl=en
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence Italy https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/uffizi-gallery?hl=en
- San Diego Zoo https://kids.sandiegozoo.org/videos
- Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam https://youtu.be/_6wbfVWVk8Q
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo https://nationalzoo.si.edu/webcams
- Reid Park Zoo Lion Cam in Tuscon, AZ http://reidparkzoo.org/cameras/lion-cam/
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bear Cubs Rhenen, Netherland https://explore.org/livecams/polar-bears/polar-bear-ouwehand-twin-cubs-cam-2
- Monterey Bay Aquarium https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals-and-exhibits/live-web-cams
- Georgia Aquarium https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/webcam/ocean-voyager/
- National Aquarium Virtual Tour http://samuraivirtualtours.com/example/nadc/index.html
- Virtual Tour of the Seattle Aquarium
Kid Activities Blog
Indoor Activities for Kids
We encourage you to reach out to your child's teacher anytime! Please use this link from our school website to find email addresses and extensions. We want to partner with you!