Eagle's Nest Newsletter
Monthly Newsletter to the Aurora Elementary Family
I cannot believe that it has already been a month since we started school. I don't think I am alone in saying, "Where has the time gone?"
Despite the many challenges we have faced, the 22-23 school year is off to a great start. We already have some amazing activities happening and are looking forward to many more getting off the ground. Our school calendar is starting to fill up with assessments, spirit days, activities for students, field trips, and so much more. I will certainly try to give you as much information about upcoming activities without overwhelming you. Below you will find many of the upcoming events that will be going on at Aurora over the next month, as well as some information for parents about specific items of interest.
As rocky as our school year started, it has been amazing to watch our students and staff in the classrooms, in the hallways, and on the playground. I want to personally thank all of our parents that have been so patient and understanding over the last few weeks as we navigated these uncharted waters. From doubling our school population to the lack of bus service, your support has been truly amazing. I also want to publicly thank our 673rd Logistics Readiness Squadron for taking on the hardest part of our work in schools, transporting students to the classrooms. Without the support of this wonderful squadron, all of our students would be without bus services right now. Please take a moment to thank them if you happen to cross paths with them.
If you have any questions or would like to give feedback, my office is always open. You can reach me by calling the front office at 907-742-0300 (please leave a message if I cannot answer your call right away) or by email at email@example.com.
Principal, Aurora Elementary
Picture day is September 22nd, 2022. All students will get their picture taken on this day and pictures will be available for sale online. Go to mylifetouch.com and use Picture Day ID: EVT4NBFVB.
Arrival and Dismissal
As a reminder:
- If you would like to walk your students to class, please park and enter through the front entryway. After 9:15, all parents/visitors must sign into the building. We will be asking all parents who enter/exit the building to use the front doors.
- The fire lane is a drop-off/pick-up zone only. Do not exit your vehicle to walk your child to the doors. Not only is this a violation of our fire safety zone, it also creates a traffic jam and frustrates parents who want to use the lane appropriately. If a staff member asks you to move your vehicle, please understand that they are looking out for the safety of all of our children. Yelling at or arguing with staff or other parents is inappropriate.
- The speed limit in the parking lot is 5 mph.
- For morning arrival, if your child's bus arrives after 9:05, we have staff that will direct them into the building by the gym. This alleviates students from walking all the way around the building and provides adequate supervision.
- Teachers are instructed to walk their children, as a class, outside at dismissal time. This will help to get children to their parents as soon as possible and keep the drop-off/pick-up lane moving quickly.
In Alaska, the weather changes quickly. For this wet fall weather, make sure that your child has everything they need to be outside in the rain - a warm jacket with a hood or a hat, and preferably rain boots or outdoor shoes. Noon duties will continue to remind students that they need to stay away from puddles. Umbrellas are not allowed on the playground.
By mid-October, students will need to have a winter coat, snow pants (if it has snowed), a hat, gloves, and snow boots. Please make sure your child's gear has their name on it and if you're missing any items, please stop by the front entryway to check our lost and found.
Anchored 4 Life
Our September Spirit Day is on September 30th. In conjunction with this year's motto for our schools on base, we will be "Joining Forces" and celebrating in "Onesies!" Wear your pajama onesie to school. This is not a pajama party-so blankets, stuffed animals, and pillows stay at home.
First Quarter Assembly
Our first quarter assembly will be held on October 14th. We will have two assemblies, one for primary grades and one for intermediate grades. More details to follow.
Open Positions at Aurora Elementary
- Classroom Teacher - you must be certificated or be able to get certified.
- Special Ed Teacher - this is a shared position with Orion Elementary.
- Kindergarten Paraprofessional - 5.5 hours
- Pre-School Paraprofessional - 7.0 hours
- Cafeteria Manager - 5.5 hours
If you are interested or know someone who is, please go to ASD's Talent Management Page.