SCCS Home Bulletin
November 17, 2021
FROM DR. B.
Happy Thanksgiving from the Sioux Center Christian School family!
We are thankful for our students.
We are thankful for our faculty.
We are thankful for our staff.
We are thankful for our trustees.
We are thankful for our school supporters.
We are thankful for our parents.
We are thankful for YOU!
Have a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends. Praise God from whom all blessings flow!
REMIND TEXT ALERTS FOR WEATHER
We will be using the Remind system again for our weather alerts so that you can receive a text. We will also be posting on Bloomz.
If you would like to sign up to receive a text alert, please text the information below (depending on your last name) to 81010. We need to be a little creative to still use the free account. 😊
Last Name A-D: text @sccsa-d to 81010
Last Name E-K: text @sccse-k to 81010
Last Name L-P: text @sccsl-p to 81010
Last Name Q-T: text @sccsq-t to 81010
Last Name U-V: text @sccsu-v to 81010
Last Name W-Z: text @sccsw-z to 81010
FOR YOUR INFORMATION
- Please check the online calendar for upcoming events (http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/calendar.cfm)
- There will be no school November 24-26 for Thanksgiving Break.
- The school office will be closed November 24-26 for the Thanksgiving break.
- The TRIP office will be open Monday-Wednesday, November 22-24 from 8:00-1:00. They will be closed Thursday and Friday for Thanksgiving.
- The Fall Instrumental (6-8 band/4-8 orchestra) and Choral Concert (5-8) will be on November 29 at 7:00 pm at Dordt University in the BJ Haan Auditorium.
VOLUNTEERS NEEDED IN THE ART ROOM
We are entering into a very busy season in the art room! We use a lot of materials and tools which require a lot of clean up. In order to maximize the amount of time that students are engaged in creating, I am asking for some volunteers to help with tool and desk clean-up from 11:30-12:15 everyday. To sign up click here. Contact Mrs. De Jong (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you have questions.
K-4th Grade Art Teacher: Sioux Center Christian School invites you to consider the opportunity to work with a dedicated faculty and staff, passionate parents, and fantastic students through the position of K-4th grade art teacher, with a start date of August 1, 2022. The ideal candidate loves God, loves kids, and loves learning.
You will partner with the current 5th-8th grade art teacher and be responsible for fulfilling the following:
- Instill a love of God’s creation, design, and beauty in grades K-4 students
- Teach art classes for K-4th graders (3 sections of each grade level for a total of 15 sections), with each section meeting once weekly
- Work with school leaders to develop an art curriculum that meets state and national standards
- Partner with classroom teachers in the development of art curriculum
- Provide opportunities for students to develop skills in art and to display their art for real audiences
- Provide opportunities for students to do real work for real people with real needs using the Teaching for Transformation framework
The art position is considered 0.4 FTE and can be combined with other potential positions at SCCS to make a full-time position.
You will be joining a team filled with people who love to collaborate, love to fulfill the school’s mission statement, love to work with students, and love to keep growing. Applicants should be endorsed to teach elementary art in Iowa and should be familiar with the Teaching for Transformation and Response to Intervention frameworks or the willingness to learn. Interested applicants should complete the faculty application package, located at https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/about/employment.cfm, and send to Josh Bowar, head of school, at email@example.com with all required materials. A review of applicants will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
Substitute Teachers: We are in need of substitute teachers for this school year. Subs are needed for teachers and paras at all grade levels, kitchen crew and at times a nurse. Please contact Carmen Mulder (firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in adding your name to the sub list. SCCS will provide all training, and you even get a free lunch when you sub! Qualifications for being a sub include a love of children, the ability to follow teacher lesson plans, flexibility, and a commitment to Christian education. We invite you to join us!
Parent Visit Days
1st Grade Parent Visit Day will be Thursday, Dec. 2 (10:15-11:15- classrooms/11:15-11:45- lunch). Sign up here by Monday, November 29 at noon.
We take seriously our calling to partner with parents in the education of their children. We value this partnership! We want to invite you into the school so you can experience what’s happening in the classroom with your students. To do that, every grade level will be hosting a parent visit day. You are invited to join us for some time in the classroom and a free lunch with your child.
More information for the following visit days will be sent out later:
- Dec. 9 - 2nd grade (10:30-11:30- classrooms/11:30-12:00- lunch)
- Jan. 13 - 3rd grade (10:30-11:30- classrooms/11:30-12:00-lunch)
- Jan. 20 - 4th grade (10:45-11:45- classrooms/11:45-12:15-lunch)
- Feb. 3 - 5th grade (11:00-12:00- classrooms/12:00-12:30- lunch)
- Feb. 10 - 6th grade (11:00-12:00- classrooms/12:00-12:30- lunch)
- March 10- 7th & 8th grade (11:15-12:15- classrooms/12:15-12:45- lunch)
The website www.weather.com is our source for determining wind chill.
If the wind chill temperature is above 0, we will go outside for recess. If the wind chill is between -10 and 0, we will shorten the outdoor time. If it is below -10, we will stay inside for recess.
If the wind chill temperature is below 30 degrees, all students are required to wear a coat and are encouraged to wear hats, mittens, etc. to cover exposed skin. They must also wear pants outside.
If the wind chill temperature is between 30 and 50 degrees, a student can choose between a coat and another second layer (coat, jacket, or sweatshirt). TK-4 must wear pants outside and for grades 5-8, wearing pants outside is optional but recommended.
If the wind chill temperature is above 50 degrees, a second layer is not required (t-shirts and shorts are permitted outside).
Shorts are permitted indoors throughout the school year but must meet dress code requirements.
- Boots in TK-4th Grade: Students are required to have boots to wear outside when the grounds are wet. Boots need to be put on and taken off by the outside door.
- *Snow pants are required to use the sledding hill or to play in snowy areas.
- Boots in 5th-8th Grade: Students are expected to wear extra shoes or boots if they choose to play off the cement, rocks, or wood chips when the ground is wet or snow-covered.
- *Boots are required to use the sledding hill or to play in snowy areas in the winter.
- The use of snow pants is at the students’ discretion in grades 5-8.
- Students who do not have appropriate clothing for recess will be sent to the office to call home or may borrow clothing from the nurse’s office.
- Students may leave their boots at school during the week. On the last school day of the week, boots must be taken home.
- Teachers and students will be informed about recess decisions through the use of electronic signage in the main hallways: “Outside Recess” (green), “Shortened Recess” (yellow), “Inside Recess” (red), and “Stay on Cement, Rocks, and Wood Chips” (blue).
- Shoes/sandals must be worn by all students and employees at all times inside and outside of the school building. Slippers are not acceptable.
We want everyone to have a fun and safe experience, so please follow these expectations:
- Boots are REQUIRED for all sledding and snow activities.
- Sleds will be provided by the school. No sleds from home.
- One rider per sled.
- Riders must remain seated while riding sleds.
We have 1 sled bin that will be monitored by the person on duty. He or she will hand them out at the start of the recess. Students should line up on the sidewalk and wait for the next available sled. When they have taken a turn, students should bring the sled back up the hill and give it to the next person in line. Students who choose not to follow the sledding expectations will not be allowed to continue sledding, which is at the discretion of the person on duty.
IMPACT OUR TREASURED STUDENTS
You can give a donation that impacts our students while also receiving 75% of your donation back!
How is this possible??
When you make a donation to NICSTO (Northwest Iowa Christian Schools Tuition Organization), you receive an IOWA TAX CREDIT certificate valued at 75% of your donation.
Sioux Center Christian receives 100% of your gift and grants it to students who qualify.
We are so grateful that we have received $180,000 in contributions so far and hope to reach our full goal of $316,242!
Even though donations can officially be received through December 31, we really need most donations to come in by December 1. Why? Some schools within the NICSTO group of sixteen Christian schools have reached their goal and, if it looks like we will not completely reach our goal, some of ours is given to those schools. We love all the Christian schools in NICSTO, but we’d also love to reach our full goal to fully impact the SCCS students who need it. If you need to wait to write a check until after December 1, but know the approximate amount you want to contribute, please connect with Amy Vander Berg (712.441.4530 or email@example.com) by the end of November.
Learn more about this giving opportunity: https://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/support/nicsto.cfm
Forms are available by the TRIP window or at the link above.
FOOD SERVICE NEWS
- Thanks to everyone who signed up to help with dishwashing this year! If you would like to help out you can sign up here. If you have questions, contact Carmen Mulder (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- You can find the lunch and dishwashing schedule here.
- If you would like to eat lunch with your child, please contact school 24 hours in advance.
BOGO FLATBREAD PIZZA CARDS
BOGO Flatbread Pizza Cards - During the month of November, Covenant CRC is once again partnering with the Fruited Plain in selling Buy One Get One Flatbread Pizza Cards. $25 gets you 5 free pizzas (a $64.95 value). You can purchase a card at the SCCS office OR at the Fruited Plain. $10 of every sale goes to the Covenant CRC Christian Education fund.
- The Office Handouts http://www.siouxcenterchristian.com/parents/officehandouts.cfm is the place to check regularly for camp information, registration forms, and more! Currently there is information for:
Moped Safety Course
Riptide Youth Wrestling
Arena Basketball Skills Camp for grades 5-6
Lone Wolf Wrestling Club
Unity Christian Dance Team Kids Camp for grades K-5
- Staff Member of the Month: Nominate your favorite SCCS faculty or staff member who goes above and beyond for the Pella Staff award! Nomination forms can be found here or are available by the TRIP window. Each month a winner is chosen and receives a $500 gift card from Sioux Center Pella Corp, which can be used to impact learning! Nominations are due by the 25th of each month and can be returned to our school office or mailed/dropped off at Pella Corp.
- Unity Christian Middle School Open House: All middle school students (6th-8th grade) and their parents are invited to Unity Christian's Middle School Open House, November 18, 2021, 7:00-8:30 pm to learn more about Unity and get a head start on high school. We will meet in the Knight Center from 7:00-7:30 and then break out into sectionals.
The mission of Sioux Center Christian School is to disciple God’s children by equipping them with a knowledge and understanding of Christ and His creation so that they can obediently serve God and others as they work and play.
Every Student TREASURED, Every Student TRAINED, Every Student TRANSFORMED