PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!
Poor living conditions leading to many cases of Cholera
Information on the Disease
Due to overcrowded and unsanitary living conditions, many people fell ill due to diseases, including a deadly illness known as Cholera. Cholera is caused by ingestion of food or water contaminated with the bacteria known as Vibrio Cholerae. Cholera manly effects people who ingest it through infected water. If infected by Cholera it could take as little as 2 hours to realize it, it can kill within hours.
- Cholera is an diarrhoeal disease that can kill within hours if left untreated.
- 28 000 to 142 000 deaths worldwide due to cholera every year.
- Up to 80% of cases can be successfully treated with oral re-hydration salts.
- Safe water and sanitation is critical to control cholera.
- Oral cholera vaccines are an additional way to control cholera
The housing provided by the factories was in very poor condition, the buildings were very crowded and unsanitary which lead to the spread of diseases. The people who worked in the factory were very poor so in result they didn't receive good medical treatment. Even if they did receive medical treatment back then they didn't have the technology like we do today to help people out who were sick.