Welcome to 3rd Grade!
A Message from Your 3rd Grade Teachers!
Dear Future Third Grade Parents,
We would like to take this opportunity in welcoming you and your child to the Third Grade and to provide you with some valuable information.
Summer is a perfect time for children to practice their reading skills. Recreational reading is one of the best ways for children to maintain and enhance their reading skills over the summer months. We recommend that your child read short stories and/or chapter books throughout the summer.
Below, we have listed books for our incoming third graders. Your child is required to choose ONE book to read and then complete the two activities provided. On the “You Must Read This Book” activity, students should write a paragraph encouraging someone to read the book they chose. They should be sure to include details and information from the story and have at least 10 sentences. Your child may read other books listed for their enjoyment but only one is required.
- Point Guard Prank (Jake Maddox Sports Series)
- The Case of the Missing Cheetah (Secret Spy Society) by Veronica Mang
- Knight of the Cape (1) (Definitely Dominguita) by Terry Catasus Jennings
- Dragons in a Bag by Zetta Elliot
- Rosie Revere and the Raucous Riveters: The Questioneers Book #1 by Andrea Beaty
- Iggy Peck and the Mysterious Mansion: The Questioneers Book #3 by Andrea Beaty
Additionally, during the 3rd grade year, we will be building upon basic addition and subtraction facts, so we encourage you to work with your child over the summer on recalling these basic facts for speed and accuracy. Students should complete the 2nd-3rd Grade Summer Math Skills Sharpener workbook that was provided to practice their math skills. This book contains many hands-on manipulatives to reinforce math skills and fact practice. Completing a few pages each week will help keep your child's math skills sharp for the start of the school year.
Both the summer reading assignment and the math book should be completed and handed in on Book Day.
Thank you in advance for your support and cooperation. We wish you a happy, relaxing, and safe summer and we look forward to seeing you in September.
The Third Grade Teachers
Click below to access your summer reading assignment!
Each year, Mrs. Phiambolis, our Librarian, creates an *optional* reading challenge for students. This is separate from the grade level summer reading assignments and a great way to keep children reading. Recommendations are below. Have fun!
Gwynedd-Mercy Academy Elementary has bundled tuition which includes field trips, school pictures, yearbook, and most student school supplies. In addition, copy books, folders, rulers, and student planners will be distributed to students. Below is a list of supplemental supplies your child will need for 3rd Grade:
- Colored Pencils - Crayola - 24 Ct
- Crayons - Crayola - 24 Ct
- 4-Pack of Expo Dry Erase Markers - Black Chisel
- 2 Pink Erasers
- 1 Blue Pocket Folder
- 1 Yellow Pocket Folder
- 1 Elmer's Glue Washable Stick (3-pack)
- Highlighter Package- Pen Style - 3 Pack - Yellow, Blue, Pink
- Markers - Crayola - Classic - 10 Ct - Thick
- 2 Packs of No. 2 Pencils - Sharpened - 12 Pk
- Pencil Sharpener - Canister - 2 Hole
- Scissors - Fiskar - Kids - 5 Inch - Pointed
- Package of Clorox Disinfectant Wipes
- Clear contact paper to cover workbooks
- 1 pair of earbuds/headphones with 3.5mm (not bluetooth or Apple lightning)
- 1 reusable water bottle
- Individual or pocket-sized hand sanitizer
- Individual tissue packets
Gwynedd-Mercy Academy is an environmentally friendly school. Please be sure lunches are packed in reusable lunch bags with two cloth napkins for use. Snacks may be in their original packaging or in reusable containers/bags. We appreciate your attention to this as we all work together to care for the Earth.