AES Community Connection 3/23/22
Stay connected with our school newsletter...
Greetings AES Families!
Welcome Spring! Over the past two weeks classes have been enjoying ski days at Buttermilk and xc-skiing on campus. We are making plans for our spring Outdoor Education Programs. Information will be coming out from teachers about this amazing opportunities. Thank you parents and guardians for chaperoning. We couldn't do it without you.
This week the Aspen Art Museum brought the Andy Warhol presentation to our students through a presentation in the district theater. Students also created thier own original pieces of art to express peace. Artwork is displayed in the main hallway of the school. (One class' work pictured right).
This summer the campus will be under construction. At the elementary school improvements will include front office and entry redesign for safety and security, new flooring throughout the building and replacement windows. We anticipate closing our doors when school ends and completing the projects by the opening of school.
I hope that Spring Break is a joyous time for you and your children whether you travel or stay close to home. Please encourage your child to read at least 20 minutes per day! You might also encourage your child to complete the Spring Break Bingo. You might consider providing an special incentive for your child for completing 5 in a row, 10 activitites and or the entire board! In addition, students who return their Spring Break Bingo Boards SIGNED BY A PARENT/CAREGIVER will earn a special pencil. Have fun!
All my best,
Kerry's 4th Grade Fundraiser
CMAS 3rd and 4th Graders
CMAS (Colorado Measures of Academic Success) is coming in April. Please mark your calendars and avoid scheduling vacations and appointments on these days. We encourage ALL students to participate in CMAS testing. Please note changes to the 3rd grade schedule below.
ELA April 11, 13, 15
Math April 12, 14, 19
Last day for make-ups April 25th
ELA April 11th, 13th, 15th
Math April 19th, 20th, 22nd
Last day for make-ups April 25th
- March AES Lunch Menu
- The AES Student Handbook (Click here for Spanish) outlines expectations for our school.
- Aspen School District Absences and Excuses Policy (Click here for Spanish)
- AES Attendance (Click here for Spanish)
- Pre-Arranged Absence Form
- School Supplies and tech fees - Click here for more information.
- Please click HERE to see the staff's favorite things!
- Order SPIRIT WEAR anytime with this link!
2021/22 Yearbook Photos
It's that time again! Please use the links below to upload your photos for the Yearbook. Be sure to let us know your child's name by renaming your file, OR you can do it at the bottom of the uploading screen where you can find a spot for a "photo tag."
Please use the links below to upload your photos for the yearbook by March 26th.
Reach out to Noel Daugherty with questions.
Order forms will be coming home soon or order online at: mymjthomas.com - enter code: aspenelemyb2122
AES Yearbooks are $30. Deadline to order is MONDAY, MAY 2nd.
AES Library News
Parents and Guardians!
Please assist your student in locating and returning ALL library books prior to Spring Break. If your student is in the midst of a captivating chapter book exceptions will, most certainly, be made!
Requests for payment of all lost and damaged books will be sent the week after break.
Please contact Lisa May Howard with questions or concerns!
Choir is Back!
Does your child ride the bus?
Bus Passes and Bus Changes:
If you need a new bus pass or want your child to catch a different bus home than usual, please visit the Transportation homepage. Links to the Bus Pass Replacement Form and the Bus Change Request Form can be found there. Students will not be allowed on a bus if they are not registered for a bus, and we will not be accepting handwritten notes or text messages from parents allowing students to ride a different bus.
As most of you know, there is a shortage of bus drivers and sporadically bus routes have to be cancelled. Please discuss a backup plan with your child for these scenarios. Sharing this plan with your child's teacher is always a good idea!
More community news...
Young Writers' Institute of Aspen
Open to students currently in grades 2-8.
June 20-24th, 9:00-12:00 each day.
Please see this flyer for more information.
Register at eamcollaborative.com (Click Services in upper right and scroll for Young Writers' Institute of Aspen).
Aspen Lacrosse Club's Never Too Early Program
5 Saturday Practices 9am-10am starting on April 9th at Iselin Field. (The turf field at the ARC)
One Weekend of Games at the Aspen Lacrosse Shoot Out. (May 7th & 8th)
G3 Gift: In memory of Mike Goerne, NTE players will receive gear they need. Register by April 1st to secure equipment. For girls' gear email Meredith: firstname.lastname@example.org. For Boys email Graham: email@example.com.
Head over to aspenlacrosse.org to register!
Aspen Field Hockey
Hey girls! Looking for a new sport? Want to join a great group of girls and coaches? Aspen Field Hockey is open to girls 2nd grade through middle school of all experience levels. Practices are held on Fridays from 5.30 pm - 7.00 pm, from April 8 until May 27 (8 Fridays) at the Aspen Rec Center Turf Field (Iselin). Further playing opportunities will be announced at a later date.
Open to girls 8 - 14 years old. Fee: $130. Checks payable to Aspen Field Hockey or venmo: @silcura.
Concordia Language Villages World Language and Culture Learning Programs
Since 1961, hundreds of thousands of villagers have joined CLV in their mission to inspire courageous global citizens. CLV is a builder of globally minded communities and guides to world fluency. Their cultural immersion programs in the North Woods of Minnesota engage participants to develop language proficiency.
Save the Date! PTO Spring Mixer & Fundraiser Wednesday, May 18th
Please Join Us for Aspen Elementary School PTO Spring Mixer & Fundraiser Wednesday.
May 18th 4-8pm at Home Team BBQ Aspen.
*25% of all sales for AES families go directly to PTO (Takeout too!)
Outdoors & Indoors. Click here for the Flyer.
After School Pick-Up Reminders...
- If you walk up to the school, please meet your child on the plaza on the side of the building.
- Students in 3rd and 4th grade may walk to the "rock" at the edge of the parking lot on their own.
- Please remind your child if they have a pick-up change for the day.
- We will remind all students that they are to meet their pick-up adult on the plaza or by the rock.
Thank you! We are seeing a lot of congestion on the sidewalk as we are trying to load the buses. Your help is appreciated.
Mask Optional Guidance...Starting Feb 22
Please take a moment to read the most recent School Health and Safety Update which includes links to more information and a cool graphic.
Please keep in mind, there may be many students and staff who will feel more comfortable wearing a mask. Please respect their decision and help your child to respect that decision as well. This will be a wonderful opportunity to practice CARING for others.
What do I do if my child has symptoms or exposure to COVID-19?
- Please continue to keep you child home if they have symptoms and seek a covid test. Please call the health office to report any positve cases or use the link below.
- Note the isolation period for positive cases is 5 days with improved symptoms. Rapid antigen testing prior to returning to school is recommended, but not requrired.
- Close contacts are not required to quarantine, but should monitor for symptoms and test 5 days following exposure. Contact Pitkin County Public Health for questions.
- Families will notified if clusters of postive cases occur within a classroom and Public Health recommends wearing K95 masks in this case.
- Click here to report at-home positive test results related to ASD.
- Click here to review the PCH Testing and Isolation Algorithm for schools (updated Jan)
- Click here to access Pitkin County Health's covid webpage for more information
- In order to return to school following non-Covid-19 illness a student should have resolution of symptoms for 24 hrs and documentation of a negative covid test should be shared with attendance at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Aspen Elementary SKIERS
At AES our essential agreements guide the way we behave and interact with others throughout our school in every setting. This year, we've adopted the SKIER acronym as a way to frame our essential agreements school wide. We hope that you will reinforce these positive attributes with your child at home.