Bristow Montessori School
"BMS Buzz" - February 2018
The kindergarten year is often mistakenly thought of as the beginning of elementary school, when in fact it is the capstone year for the preschool education.
Children in the Montessori classroom have been building a strong educational foundation through the use of concrete experiences during their first and second year in preparation for their leadership role in the third year.
The notable benefits for the Kindergarten students are the opportunity to share their knowledge of the works they have mastered by mentoring younger students by giving lessons. This is of reciprocal importance as the Kindergarten student reinforces and strengthens their self-confidence and self-esteem and the younger student is delighted to have lessons with a peer.
Montessori Kindergarten students are typically self-directed and enthusiastic learners.
All human beings relish personal freedom, and children are no exception. If a child is allowed some control over what they learn and how they learn it, then the outcome is typically more substantial than if an expectation is imposed upon them. Parents and adults that are new to Montessori often wonder how their child learns so much or is so knowledgeable about so many things. The answer is that when children are allowed to deepen their understanding of their lessons without constraint they are able to truly achieve their own potential and not just a predetermined limit, which gauges all children as having the same interest and ability.
The Kindergarten and Elementary years in Montessori are truly magical. The whole Universe becomes their classroom. The lessons in cosmic education with the scientific experiments and research through the use of Timelines, helps the student make sense of the world. The elementary learner is a pioneer, an explorer, and master of his or her own potential. The journey may be long, but whilst it is filled with opportunities for discovery, self-direction and independent pacing it will be rich, rewarding and forever influential.
We are delighted to welcome all parents of prospective Kindergarten students and Elementary age students to attend a social evening of lively discussion and presentation of the materials for the third year students. We hope you will join us for this important meeting on the evening of February, 26th.
MONTESSORI IN KINDERGARTEN
An Informational Night about the Third Year
Open to the entire BMS Community and Public
EVENT: FEBRUARY 26th
6:30pm - 8:00pm
Speakers: Tim Mooney, Anita Ercole, and Sameer Patel
BMS in the News!
What's happening in February
Catered Hot Lunches are Here from Smart Lunches!
We have had a great start to our new Hot Lunch Program from Smart Lunches! We are so excited that the lunches have been really well received. Some students are still taking some time to adjust, but overall the quality of food has surpassed our expectations.
Sign your child up now! - www. SmartLunches.Com
- Create a lunch profile for your child
- No Commitment, sign up for any day of the month
- Choose your child's personal lunch option for each day
- Great for day's/weeks you are out of town!
- You only need to order 3 business days in advance
- BMS will offer each child 7 oz whole milk with a hot lunch (children with milk allergies will be offered water).
We are happy to take parent feedback and suggestions regarding the menu options to share with the catering company.
Valentines Day! - February 14th
Valentines Day! BMS Students can dress in their favorite Valentines shirts/outfits, no uniforms. Parents, please be mindful of our policy that the clothing is comfortable, allow freedom of movement, and allow for independent care and use.
Be sure to also check out the children's valentines artwork displayed in the BMS halls. What a lovely job!
Presidents' Day - Feb 19th - School Closed
Need Care for your child on President's Day?
Bach 2 Rock is doing an awesome Rock City World Tour Camp!
9am-1pm : Friday February 19th
$50/per day or $249/per week
Early drop off/Late pick up - $15 per camper/$5 per sibling.
Register before 2/12/18 using promo code: ROCKCITY.
Kindergarten in Montessori - An Evening event - Feb 26th
Calling all future Kindergarten parents! If you want to learn more about the Kindergarten Year in Montessori, this event is for you. We welcome our entire BMS Community and the Public to Join us.
Monday, February 26th, from 6:30 - 8:00 p.m. for an informational evening about Montessori education for the Kindergarten years. Speakers Tim Mooney & Anita Ercole.
We will supply the wine and cheese! We hope to see you there.
Optional Care March 26th & 27th
Sign up Now ----> http://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080e4da9a92da7f58-optional1
Optional Care Days - ONLINE - BMS is scheduled to be closed from March 26 th - 30th. Students enrolled on a 10/12 month extended day contract will have the option of attending our Optional Care Program Monday, March 26th and Tuesday, March 27 th from 8:00- 4:00 p.m. at NO additional cost. There are limited spaces available. There are 2 days listed on the sign-up, so if you would like your child to attend both optional care days, be sure to sign up for both slots!
What does BMS define as Extended Care? If your child is enrolled in a 5-day, M-F, 8:30 am - 3:00 pm Program PLUS Morning or After Care, then your child is eligible to sign up for the Optional Care Days.
B2R Spring Break Camp - Ages 4 and up
BMS Extracurriculars - Time to sign up!
Bristow Montessori - 9 Week Season
Spring 2018 · CLASSIC · Mar 22, 2018 - May 24, 2018
No classes: 03/29/2018
Thursdays 3:30 PM Ages 2-6
Save the Date!
- Book Fair - Week of March 5th - Usborne Book Fair! Purchase books for your children, family, and friends while also helping BMS to grow their library. BMS receives free books based on parent purchases!
- BMS Community Play Date and Open House - March 10th: Come to BMS for our Spring Play Date and Open House. Mingle with families while the kids jump around in the bounce house!
- PTO Meeting - March 14th 6:30 pm - BMS Parents, please join us! Childcare (and Pizza) provided for children ages 3 and up. Meet other BMS Parents, chat about upcoming school news/events, & brainstorm ways to positively impact the BMS Community!
- Easter Egg Hunt - March 21th - This annual event takes place in the morning for all classes, and is really egg-citing for the children! Please have your child bring in 8-10 Easter Eggs filled with a treat or an age-appropriate trinket/toy a few days in advance. No-Nuts, please!
- International Night - March 24th - 3:00 - 6:30 - Individual Class times will be announced prior. The children have all been working hard on their songs to prepare for this performance, see you there!
- Spring Break - March 26 - 30 - Optional Care Days March 26th & 27th. Please see office for more info.
Our favorite moments looking back ...
BMS GARDEN DAY
We wanted to take a moment to thank a few of our parents for their time and dedication to the BMS Community.
A huge thank you to the Pocratskies for providing all of the yummy Turkey at our BMS Thanksgiving Luncheon, you really know how to Roast!
Kara Bake, Thank you for taking the time to deliver the school's Canned Goods to the local Food Center.
The Dunning Family - Thank you for providing your truck to assist in delivering the compost for our Garden Day in December!
Mrs. Turner - Thank you for connecting us with Virginia Cooperative Extension Prince William Master Gardeners (MGPW)! We are very excited to work with Nancy and her team of gardeners to educate our students on gardening!
PTO Moms & Dads - Thank you for all of your hard work and feedback at our Bi-Monthly PTO's, see you again in March, we have a full spring schedule ahead of fun events!
Imclement Weather Policy
BMS does NOT follow the public schools or the Federal Government foreclosures or delays - we make decisions on whether to close or stay open day by day. This also applies to school delays.
BMS will make a decision to close school or have a delay by 5:30 am on the day of school and send an email directly to parents. We will also post any delays and/or closures on our Private Facebook Page, Public Facebook Page, and our BMS School Website.
SCHOOL DELAY: If BMS implements a morning delay, we will be open at 10:00 am.
School Wellness Policy
New BMS Student Referral Program!
Added Bonus!! - If the referred family signs up before Feb 27, 2018, that family will receive 50% off their first month's tuition for joining us here at BMS. This is a promotion to all new families joining BMS by Feb 27th, 2018. Spread the word, and thank you for being an ambassador for Bristow Montessori School.
BOOK DONATION BOX
We need your new and gently used children’s books to help grow our BMS Lending Library. Can you take a few minutes to clear your shelves of books the kids have outgrown, so they can be used for our students?
What to donate? Books for all ages: board books, picture books for the youngest readers, Chinese/Spanish/Bilingual books, fiction & non-fiction, young reader chapter books, early learning science and reference books, etc. Place your donated books throughout the year in the “Book Donation” collection bin located in the BMS front Lobby.
BMS Parents - We are on Facebook!
Box Tops for Education
BMS Tuition Payment Options
1. Easy Online Payment via ACH - This is the most popular payment options amongst our parents! - An invoice will be sent to your email around the 20th of each month which allows you to pay immediately through ACH (bank to bank) payment (similar to an electronic check) and does not incur a fee. This is very similar to paying with a check but much faster!
2. Automatic Drafts - We also have the option to have your payment electronically drafted on the first of each month which also does not incur a fee. You can download the form here. Please complete and bring to the front office.
3. Credit Card Payments can be processed with a 3% fee per transaction. If you would like to set up automatic credit card payments for each month please stop by the front desk to fill out the forms.
Check - BMS does accept check, but we recommend paying via one of our other offered methods. If you provide a payment via written check please be advised that check processing may take 2-3 weeks. Please also note that check payment will not be applied to your BMS account until the check is cleared by your bank. Please make sure check payment is made on the 1st of each month to ensure timely posting to your BMS account.
Late tuition payments have a significant negative impact on school operations. A late fee of $50 will be assessed for tuition payments received after the 5th of each month. Thank you for your understanding.