By: Josie Bono and Rachel Stout
GO SOLAR AND SAVE THE POLAR!
How it works
The sun shines on the solar panels, generating “DC” (Direct Current) electricity.
The electricity is fed into a solar inverter that converts into “AC” (Alternating Current) electricity.
The AC electricity is used to power appliances in your home.
- Any power not required by your home goes into your home’s switchboard into the main power grid for others to use.
- average cost of solar panels in South Dakota is $38,428
- National average is $17,056
- installed cost of solar panels is between $7-$9 per watt
- A 5kW system would cost around $25,000-$35,000
- Solar Panels
- little maintenance because there are no moving parts
- should be inspected for dirt and debris a few times a year
- use a regular garden hose to clean
- avoid cold water to prevent cracking
- new solar panels expected to have 40-50 year lifespans and warranties to protect them
- output shouldn't be less than 80% of rated power after 25 years
- most companies offer 25 year warranties on solar panels
- Heat/Power home
- Indoor/Outdoor lighting
- battery charging
- energy storage is expensive
- associated with pollution
- exotic materials
- requires space