Fab 5th - Weekly Update
August 5, 2019
- Thanks everyone for getting on-board with choosing a team shirt! Always good to get something marked off the list!
- I ordered play-doh for our first day of school activity!
- I ordered the 1st spelling list for you all. Probably because I was avoiding doing other stuff!
- I have updated the 5th grade website a little. Feel free to go in and add/update your "bio". https://sites.google.com/s/0Bz0ZE1jkJTn5SE9pcllSTjRWX3M/p/0Bz0ZE1jkJTn5czJGb2V5U3M4Qms/edit
- JOIN PTA: https://www.smithpta.net/shop
- We need volunteers for:
- Kid Talks Note Taker
- Website Updater
- WIN Lesson Plans (do we want that to rotate?)
- Thank you Notes Coordinator
- Clubs/Programs that need sponsors. Let me know ASAP if you are interested in one of these:
- Student Council
- Lone Star ($500 stipend)
- Yearbook ($500 stipend)
- D.I. (not sure if Baker is doing this one, if available, $250 stipend)
Parent Communication for Class Assignments - Monday, August 12th
We will be sending out emails to parents on Monday, August 12th. As time gets closer we can create our grade specific email and decided the time we are all sending!
This is the information I received from Catherine regarding this:
CLASS ASSIGNMENT – FOR INTERNAL COMMUNICATION (STAFF)
- Teachers will email parents Monday, August 12th regarding their child’s class assignment.
- Campuses are encouraged to draft a message for class assignments that are consistent among grade levels.
(see sample below)
- Teachers should send an individual email with the child’s name enclosed. Do not send group emails due to confidentiality.
- On the dates the emails are sent, consider having someone answer parent phone calls until 5:00 p.m. to accommodate families that do not receive the email.
- Principals are encouraged to communicate with parents about the process for class assignment communication via campus websites and Back to School communication. (see sample below)
- Communication regarding Meet the Teacher Night should be posted on school websites and included in Back to School communication.
SAMPLE EMAIL SCRIPT FOR TEACHERS
Dear (child’s name):
It is my pleasure to let you know that I will be your teacher this year. I am very excited about the great things that we will learn together. I look forward to meeting you at “Meet the Teacher” beginning at 5:30 p.m. I will be at my door looking for you and I will have your name posted on your desk and cubby. The classroom number is _____.
Remember (anything you need to say about labeling or not labeling supplies, etc.)…
Again, I can’t wait to see you on _______ night at ______ p.m.
ELAR - Sign Up
Things to Think about:
- Class Shirt Ideas
- Planning schedule (we have to figure out a planning schedule that will allow Amber to attend the majority of planning times).
- 1st Day of School Activities/Schedule
- Updating your email signature - see Staff Newsletter for "how-to" instructions
- Bulletin Board ideas - for class names beside our rooms, introducing teacher board, and displaying work boards - WE NEED TO PICK A DAY AFTER SCHOOL TO GET THESE DONE!
Details for PD Week:
- 7:30 am - Breakfast Tacos
- 8:00 am - #Smith Rocks! in Library
- 12:30 pm - #FISD Learns in Library
- 8:00 am - Campus Day Instructional Rotations start time
- 8:00 - 9:30 - MM, SEL, Class Meetings, Trauma - with Cheryl - Room 306
- 9:30 - 11:00 - Math 3-Act Tasks w/ Math Coordinators - Room 209
- 11:00 - 12:30 - Lunch
- 12:30 - 2:00 - ELAR - Strategy Groups with Audrey Bragg - Room 207; Math - Data Analysis with Tran - Library
- 2:00 - 3:30 - ELAR - plan strategy group lessons; Math - Plan 3 Act Tasks and pace through 1st cluster
- 7:00 am - Staff picture in front of Smith prior to Convocation
- 8:30 am - Convocation
- FISD will be transporting ALL employees to the Ford Center at the Star from designated shuttle locations. We will be parking and picked up from Memorial Stadium. It is located downtown off of Maple. Shuttles begin loading at 7:30. The last shuttle will leave at 8:00 am. Convocation begins at 8:30 am.
Section 206, Rows 4-6
- 12:30 pm - #FISD Learns in library
- 8:00 am - T-TESS/SLO Updates, Counselor Updates in Library
- 12:30 pm - WORK DAY! - Send Welcome Emails to Students on Class Lists!
- 8:00 am - Kid Services/Rotations - Fariss's Room, Bring a phone/device to 504 Compliance Training
8:30 - SAIL/Sped/ Speech
9:05 - ESL Student Info
9:40 - SST Student Updates
10:15 - 504 Compliance (GT)
10:50 - Dyslexia
- 11:00 am - PTA Sponsored Lunch in Cafe
- 12:30 pm - WORK DAY!
- Meet the Teacher Night! (wear Smith Rocks staff shirt and jeans)
- *Kinder/SAIL: 5:00 pm-6:00 pm
- *1-5: 6:00 pm-7:00 pm
- 8:00 am - #FISDLearns in Library
- 12:30 pm - #FISDLearns Personalized Learning
Dates To Keep in Mind:
August 7-14: Smith Staff Development Week--SMITH ROCKS!
August 9: Staff picture at Smith prior to Convocation @ 7:00 am; Popsicles with Principals @ 6:00 pm (incoming Kinder kiddos)
August 10: Black Cardigans due to Catherine
August 13: Meet the Teacher Night!
*Kinder/SAIL: 5:00 pm-6:00 pm
*1-5: 6:00 pm-7:00 pm
August 15: Compliance Training's DUE!; First Day of School!
August 21: Staff Meeting: Vertical Kid Talk Rotations & Coke Floats!
August 23: First "Official" Celebrate Smith
August 27: Watch Dog Kick-Off @ 6:30-7:30pm