May 11, 2018
FCS is asking parents to take this 10-minute survey to give a clear view of the current state of family engagement. The survey window is May 10 through June 8, 2018. Thank you in advance.
The Fulton County District Staff & family surveys launch TODAY!
TO TAKE THE FCS SURVEY:
* View the video below to see Supt. Jeff Rose's request for your participation.
The Week Ahead...
5/15 to 5/17 - Device Collection
• Tuesday, 5/15: 6th-grade through science teachers
• Wednesday, 5/16: Make-ups for 6th[grade JA field trip
• Thursday, 5/17: 8th grade through science teachers
• Friday, 5/18: 7th grade through science teachers
• Make-ups for students, not present during on Friday
- 5/12 - Platinum Spring Recital @ 11 am - 5 pm (Gym/Stage Area)
- 5/14 to 5/16 - 2nd Semester Exams
- 5/14 - Summit Counselor Onsite
- 5/14 to 5/16 2nd Semester Exams
- 5/14 Media Center Closed for Device Collection Preparation. Media Center will remain closed for the remainder of school year.
- 5/14 - JA Trips begin for 6th grade
- 5/14 - 2nd Semester Exams start today for 8th-graders
- 5/14 - Academic Bowl Practice @ 4:05 -5:30 pm
- 5/14 - Band Spring Concert @ 6:15 pm (Gym)
- 5/15 - 2nd Semester Exams continue for 8th-grade
- 5/15 - JA Trips for 6th- grade continue
- 5/15 - Device Collection – 6th graders not on JA Trip (Media Center Closed)
- 5/16 - 2nd Semester Exams continue for 8th grade
- 5/16 - JA Trips continue for 6th- grade
- 5/16 - Device Collection - 6th graders who were on JA trip on Monday (Media Center Closed)
- 5/16 - Jr. Beta induction ceremony @ 5:00 in the fishbowl
- 5/16 - Orchestra Spring Concert @ 7 pm (Gym)
- 5/17 - FCA Mtg @ 7:45 am (Mr. Billups' Room)
- 5/17 - 2nd Semester Exams continue for 8th-grade
- 5/17 - Device Collection – 8th grade (Media Center Closed)
- 5/17 - Last Club Day!
- 5/17 - Sweet Apple’s rising 6th graders to visit Elkins 9:15 – 10:45 gym
- 5/18 - Device Collection – 7th grade (Media Center Closed)
- 5/18 - Device Collection Make-ups for students not present during their collection. (Media Center Closed)
- 5/18 - Interact Mtg @ 7:45 (D-119)
- 5/18 - PTSA Stem Workshop - More information to come from PTSA
- 5/21 - BOTT (Battle of the Titans) @ All Day...GET YOUR SHIRTS READY FOR MONDAY!
- Wear BOTT t-shirts to show BOTT competitive spirit!
- Wear BOTT t-shirts to show BOTT competitive spirit!
- Bring $$$ for funnel cakes & Kona Ice...Remind your WINN students to bring money!!
- Bring $$$ for funnel cakes & Kona Ice...Remind your WINN students to bring money!!
IMPORTANT EVENTS @ EPMS
Spring Music Concerts in the Gym
Band Concert on 5/14 @ 6:15 pm
Orchestra Concert on 5/16 @ 7 pm
Elementary Visits to EPMS
May 17th - Sweet Apple
Times for all visits: 9:15 am -10:45 am
Device Collection from May 15-18th
• May 15th is 6th-grade collection
• May 16th is Make-up for 6th grade JA field trip
• May 17th is 8th-grade collection
• May 18th is 7th-grade collection &
** Make-Up for absent students on Friday, May 18th
* Parent Volunteers Needed to Collect Devices*
BOTT - Battle of the Titans
May 21st @ All Day for All Grades
PE Dept. Field Day
* Bring $$$ for Kona ice & Funnel Cakes!!
6th & 7th Grade Promotion & Awards Day
May 23rd in the Gym
6th Grade @ 9:30 am to 11 am
7th Grade @ 12 noon to 1:30 pm
GRAD WALK - Class of 2018
May 23rd - All through school
@ 1:15 PM is the Grad Walk @ HSES
@ 2:15 PM is the Grad Walk @ EPMS
8th Grade Graduation / Promotion & Awards Day
May 24th from 10 am - 4:05 pm
• Graduation, Awards & Promotion @ 10 AM - 12 PM (Gym)
• Luncheon @ 12 - 1 PM for Students & Teachers Only (Cafeteria)
• 8th-Grade Block Party @ 1 pm - 4 PM
• 8th-Grade Clap-Out @ 3:45 PM
A Message From the Principal
Happy Friday Titans!
Our school has so much going on that it almost seems overwhelming, but I assure you every bit of it is exciting and so worthwhile. Our middle school is thriving, and the halls are filled with pride. I want to "shout out" our Titans for making us proud!
Our SGC met this morning and approved to use our seed fund money to support our Literacy Initiative. With the funds, we will be purchasing book sets, in a variety of Lexile levels, for all of our ELA/Reading classrooms. We are bringing good old fashion books back into the classroom. We want our Titans to turn pages, know the weight and the feel of a book, and get their eyes on printed paper. Part of the seed fund money will be used to purchase furniture conducive to reading. I am proud and excited to say that Elkins Pointe is bringing the bookmark back!
Today was 8th grade College and Carrer Day. Former Elkins Pointe Titan, Ryan Beesley from FOX 5 Atlanta was here to share the career he loves. Becky Nelson, a local entrepreneur, showed our Titans how to start their own business! Dr. Carson, a local Veterinarian, shared her work with our students. Naval Aviator, Mr. Gaissert spoke about his experiences serving our country. Thank you to all of our speakers for motivating our students and thank you to the PTSA and our Guidance Department for arranging such an interesting and diverse set of speakers for our 8th graders.
Our Titans continue to make us proud inside and outside of the building. This week the Orchestra, under the direction of Mr. Gamba, visited Hembree Springs for their Art Showcase. It was awesome to see Titans who used to be Hawks perform so well at their alma mater. On Sunday, Mrs. Okiyama and I attended the 2018 River of Words Poetry Contest with two of our 7th-grade winners, Isabella and Gavin! Another proud Titan moment entailed sending our Great-Hall students and our A-Team Club to represent our school at the Special Olympics. I am not sure which smiles were bigger, our Special Olympic athletes or the crowd that assembled to cheer!
Next week, it is time to get down to brass tacks and get the devices back! The Media Center needs an army of parent volunteers to sign-up, so the Dell Latitude laptops can be checked back into the school. Please have your child take a moment to clean out their laptop bag and to place the power cord in their bag. If your child has turned his or her laptop into the Media Center because it is not working, we need your child to turn in the laptop case and the charger too. Parents, you will be billed for any cases and chargers that are not returned.
Happy Mother's Day and enjoy the weekend, Titans!
Kindra L. Smith, Ed.S
Elkins Pointe Middle School
Home of the Titans!
SMART, HAPPY, CONNECTED
8th Grade Career Day!
Reunited and It Feels So...Titan!
WHAT I NEED TO KNOW NOW!
Device Return Volunteers Needed - 5/15, 5/16, 5/17
Device Return Volunteers are needed! All Dell Latitude laptops, along with power cords and cases, need to be collected. Return dates are Tuesday - Thursday, May 15-17 in the Media Center. Device Collection Schedule:
- Tuesday, 5/15: 6th-grade device collection through science classes
- Wednesday, 5/16: 6th-grade JA Field Trip Make-up
- Thursday, 5/17: 8th-grade device collection through science classes
- Friday, 5/18: 7th-grade device collection through science classes and Make-up for any students who were absent on their device day.
Support OUR Titan Teachers
💙 Help Support Mrs. Emily Lamos, Elkins Pointe GNETs Teacher
Please Help Us to Send our Love & Support to Mrs. Emily Lamos, GNETs Teacher at Elkins Pointe. Emily Lamos, one of our teachers on the Great Hall, will be out for the remainder of this school year.
- To learn more about helping Mrs. Lamos, CLICK HERE.
Help Redesign Mrs. O's 7th Grade ELA Classroom!
Mrs. Okiyama wishes to redesign her classroom's space for next year make it more collaborative and student friendly. Below is the link to a GoFundMe fundraiser to help support this change. Any help you might give is greatly appreciated and feel free to share on with others who might be willing to support this project.
- Link to the GoFundMe: https://www.gofundme.com/kbf742-classroom-collaboration
Title I & Parent University
If You Missed Mapping Out Middle School...
Title I District Input Meetings - 5/15, 5/16, 5/17
We are excited to invite all Title I parents, families and community stakeholders to our upcoming Annual District Parent, Family and Community Stakeholder Meeting to revise our 2017-2018 District Parent and Family Engagement Plan for the 2018-2019 school year.
Three locations, 3 days and up to 4 times are scheduled for your convenience:
- Tuesday, May 15th at Lake Forest Elementary at 5920 Sandy Springs Circle in Sandy Springs at 8:30 am and 4:30 pm
- Wednesday, May 16th at S. L. Lewis Elementary at 6201 Connell Road in College Park at 8:30 am only
- Thursday, May 17th at the South Fulton Regional Library at 4055 Flat Shoals Road in Union City at 10:30 am, 1 pm and 4:30 pm.
We look forward to seeing you at one of these meetings. Please contact Lisa O'Hanlon Cowles, EPMS Parent Liaison, or the District Title I Department with any questions at 470-254-0200. Interpreter services will be available in Spanish. If services in other languages are required, please contact the Title I Department.
Your voice and opinion matters. Should you not be able to attend either meeting you may access all revision materials at some local libraries, the district Title I webpage at tinyurl.com/FCSPFEplan2018 under Resources and at your child’s school from your Parent Liaison. Revisions will be taken through May 31st. However, feedback is welcome throughout the year. Thank you.
THINGS TO KNOW...
BOTT - Battle of the Titans - 5/21
Battle of the Titans (BOTT)- Order Your Shirts for the Elkins Pointe Field Day!
- What is BOTT? Battle of the Titans is the Elkins Pointe Field Day and EVERYBODY participates!
- When is BOTT? May 21st for all grade levels
- Where is BOTT? Gym and Track area
- What's the Deal with the T-shirts? T-shirts for BOTT are Not mandatory but if you would like to purchase they are $10 and here's the order form. Please at least wear your Winn color......either blue, grey, white, or black!
- Why should you send $$$ money with your child to BOTT? Kona Truck and Funnel cake vendors will return this year...These items are for sale!!
6th & 7th Grade Promotion & Awards Day - 5/23
ALL PARENTS INVITED - ARRIVE EARLY FOR SEATING!
6th Grade Promotion & Awards
- May 23 @ 9:30 am to 11 am in the Gym
7th Grade Promotion & Awards
- May 23 @ 12 noon to 1:30 pm in the Gym
8th Grade Graduation - Promotion & Awards Day -5/24
ALL PARENTS INVITED - ARRIVE EARLY FOR SEATING!
- May 24th is the 8th-Grade Graduation, Awards & Promotion Ceremony from 10 AM - 12 PM (Gym)
- May 24th is the 8th-Grade Luncheon @ 12 - 1 PM (Cafeteria) Students & Teachers Only
- May 24th is the 8th-Grade Block Party @ 1 pm - 4 PM & 8th-Grade Clap-Out @ 3:45 PM
Need Your Child Transcript? Not Returning to EPMS?
Parents if your child will not return to Elkins Pointe M.S. for the 2018/2019 school
year, please inform Ellen Walsh in the Counseling Office. It would also be most
helpful to let us know if your child is slated to go to Roswell H.S. or Milton H.S.
for 9th grade but will not attend. Thank you. (470) 254-8365 email: email@example.com
Pick Up ALL Medications from the Clinic by the end of the Year!
CLINIC MEDICATIONS Note to Parents:
- Non-Prescription medications will be disposed of if not picked up by end of school year. Prescription medications will be NOT be held. ALL MEDICATIONS MUST BE PICKED UP ON THE LAST DAY OF SCHOOL!!!
- All medications for the 2018-2019 school year will need NEW medication forms filled out. If the medication is prescribed, doctor orders and signature are required. The orders MUST match the prescription on the bottle.
NEW FORMS WILL NEED TO BE COMPLETED FOR THE 2018-2019 SCHOOL YEAR:
- Do not wait until school has started to get doctor signatures. It can sometimes take several weeks to get forms filled out.
- Be sure that medications are in the original container and not expired.
- Keep in mind the clinic only dispenses medication that a parent has provided. If your child needs medication at school, please plan ahead.
EPMS Link for medication forms:
Additional Care Plans are required for Diabetes, Asthma, Allergies, and Seizures.
WILD SLICE PIZZA PARTY!!
Help your WINN class win a Pizza Party from Wils Slice Pizza!
- What: End of the Year Pizza Party from Wild Slice
- When: Last Week of School
- Details: Wild Slice will be giving away one FREE PIZZA PARTY for the winning class. Calling all Parents and Teachers, the kids need your help to win a pizza party!
To enter the contest:
1. Make sure to “Like” the Wild Slice Facebook page ( http://facebook.com/wildslice )
2. And/ Or Follow Wild Slice on Instagram ( http://www.instagram.com/wildslicepizzeria )
3. Post on our Facebook wall “We want to win a free pizza party from Wild Slice!”
4. Use the hashtags #WildSlicePizzaParty and #NameofSchool
5. Tag at least 5 friends or family who will help increase your odds and post on your behalf
It’s that easy! One winning class will be chosen randomly. Every post/ hashtag will count as an entry, so increase your odds of winning with the support from everyone you know!
Things to know for the 2018-2018 School Year
Youth Day Float Chair Needed!
MORE THINGS FOR 8th GRADE TO KNOW
Online Health & PE Course Info for Rising 9th-Grade Students
Clearing up some confusion on the "Online" Health & PE Courses Info for Rising 9th-Grade Students:
To register your child for a summer online course at the high school level, please contact Mr. WIll Jones at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- * To register your rising 9th-grader for an online summer course, you MUST contact your middle school guidance counselor for the class to count towards high school credit. If your child registers prior to their promotion from middle school, the counselor needs to APPROVE the summer course. High school summer course registration opened in March 2018.
- ** Health must be taken in order for a student to get their drivers license, but not to get a permit. Students must present proof of high school attendance to the DMV to get their permit. To get their license, students must complete Health course which includes all DVM requirements. NOTE: Please research the Georgia Driver License Requirements to make sure your child's online Health class meets all the requirements.
- *** PE & HEALTH MUST BE COMPLETED WITHIN THE FOUR YEARS OF HIGH SCHOOL. They are high school graduation requirements.
- The high school Health & PE courses may be taken any semester as a .5 semester class or online during the summer. These .5 credit classes must be taken prior to graduation.
- Health is a requirement to get a Georgia Drivers License.
- Parents are responsible for the payment of online summer courses.
- Health and PE courses which are taken at the high school during the school year are free of charge.
FEEDER Sports @ RHS & MHS
Roswell High School Jr. Hornets Volleyball Program - 5/19
Grades 2nd - 8th grade - All skill levels welcome!
Sat. May 19th 2pm - 4pm
@ RHS Main Gym
11595 King Rd, Roswell, GA 30075
To register and find out more information
go to: https://www.roswellvolleyball.org/jrhornets
Or Contact: email@example.com
About Us: Founded in 2008, the Jr. Hornet feeder program is meant to provide an encouraging positive environment where young athletes can develop their volleyball skills and knowledge from beginner to the highest level they are able in an organized Volleyball Program.
Cobb Atlanta VBC 12-2 Head Coach / Functional Lead / Player Council Advisor
Roswell High School Feeder Program Head Coach
“Just when they think they got you game, set, match... here comes the comeback!!!"
PLAN FOR THE SUMMER & LEARNING OPPORTUNITIES
This is a great opportunity for students to work with experienced Camp Instructors to be a positive mentor and coach, encourage and inspire children to push the limits of their imagination, collaborate, and ignite team spirit and fun. At the end, each CIT will receive program certification and an official recommendation letter.
Here’s a brief description of Camp Invention and all the adventures that it entails:
Wild and crazy ideas become reality in this year’s all-new Camp Invention program, Fast Forward!
A nonprofit program of the National Inventors Hall of Fame, Camp Invention allows children in kindergarten through 6th grade to experience real-world problem solving, creative thinking, invention, and teamwork – all while having FUN! Activities include challenges and achievements from the brightest thinkers around—National Inventors Hall of Fame Inductees – to inspire children! This year, campers will bring their “smart” home to life with smart furniture and eco-smart energy, design a robotic dog and diagnose puppy problems, explore sensors by designing tracks for an Optibot, a robot that senses dark and light surfaces, and builds Cake Catapults! Local educators lead the week of fun, hands-on, STEM activities that allow children to think big, explore their curiosity, and never give up.
Early registration discounts are available. Visit campinvention.org or call 800.968.4332 to register.
CONNECTING WITH OUR COMMUNITY
Titan Support for a Fellow Middle Schooler
Titans Support...As some of you may have seen or heard, Ella Griggs who is a 7th grader at Crabapple Middle School suffered a hemorrhagic stroke while at lacrosse practice in late March. She was rushed to the hospital and spent almost a month in ICU. Today, she is in stable condition but remains hospitalized while undergoing extensive rehabilitation. To support Ella's long-term medical needs, a Gofundme page has been set up here: https://www.gofundme.com/shineonella. On behalf of her friends and family, thank you sincerely for any financial support you may be able to provide at this time. More importantly, please continue to keep the Griggs' family in your thoughts.
THINGS TO REFERENCE...
To Be Announced: • Top Titan Celebrations • EPMS Parent Survey (combined Title I, SGC, PTSA), for 8th-grade students only WEB Leader Applications & Yearbook Class Applications • Junior Achievement
- 5/21 - Summit Counselor Onsite
- 5/21 - Academic Bowl Practice @ 4:05 -5:30 pm (Media Center)
- 5/22 - BOTT (Rain Day)
- 5/23 - 6th & 7th Awards & Promotions Ceremonies (Gym)
- 5/24 - FCA Mtg @ 7:45 am (Media Center)
- 5/24 - 8th Grade Awards & Promotion Ceremony @ 10 am - 12 pm (Gym)
8th Grade Luncheon @ 12 - 1 pm (Cafeteria) Students & Teachers Only
8th Grade Block Party @ 1 pm - 4 pm & 8th Grade Clap-Out @ 3:45 pm
- 5/24 - Faculty Assembly @ 4:05 pm - 5 pm (Teachers & Staff Only)
- 5/24 - Last Day of School
- 5/25 - SUMMER BREAK - NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS
- 5/25 - Post Planning (NO SCHOOL FOR STUDENTS)
- 5/28 - MEMORIAL DAY - FULTON COUNTY SCHOOLS CLOSED
Note: Dates are subject to change & some dates may not be included.
Save the Dates...Next Year's Camp Titan Up, Info Day, etc.
Even though we have not completed this school year, we are getting lots of requests for information on 2018-2019 dates. We have just set the dates, and they should stay. However, the times and even dates may alter slightly. Please mark your calendars in pencil!
Upcoming 2018-2019 Dates...
- 7/26 & 7/27 - WEB Leader Training for Camp Titan Up (8th graders)
- 7/30 - Camp Titan Up (a.k.a. 6th-grade orientation). Rising 6th-graders, save the date for Camp Titan Up on Monday, July 30th @ 8:30 am to 12:30 pm. Our 8th-grade WEB Leaders will show you the ropes in middle school by giving tours, showing you how to open a locker, and more!
- 7/30 - Principal Fireside Chat and "Middle School 101" for 6th grade and New-to-the-school Parents @ 8:30 am to 9:30 am. This introductory workshop is everything you wanted to know about middle school but afraid to ask! The introduction will be by Principal Smith and the 6th-grade Assistant Principal. A comprehensive presentation on everything from school supplies, to what kind of shoes to wear to Information Day, and how to check-out your child for an orthodontist appointment will be given by the Parent Liaisons. This presentation is 1 hour long. it is not mandatory, but helpful to newbies!
- 8/1 - Information Day: 6th Grade @ 9:30-11:30 / 7th Grade & 8th Grade @ 1–3 pm
- 8/3 - Welcome Back Luch by PTSA
- 8/6 - First Day of School
- 8/22 - Curriculum Night: State of the School & PTSA General Meeting
- 8/28 - "Get Ready for the 8th grade Year" Parent Meeting (English)
- 8/31 - Full Release Day - EPMS School Governance Council RFF Day
- 9/3 - Labor Day - No School
- 9/4 - "Get Ready for the 8th grade Year" Parent Meeting (Spanish)
- 9/8 - Band Startup Clinic
- 9/13 - 6th Grade "Bring Your Parent to School" Morning
- 9/20 - 6th Grade Tailgate Party
- 9/24 - PTA Reflections Contest Entries Due
- 9/25 - "Get Connected Night"
* Please Note: Dates not in bold may be subject to change.