Oakview's Online News Flash
Principal's Report - Dr. Phillip Reavis
2nd Grade Artist In Residence
Oakview's 2nd graders will be working with an artist in residence for the month of April. During this time, science curriculum will be integrated with the arts as students learn the art form of drama and theatre to create tableaus to show their understanding of weather concepts.This opportunity is a part of Greenville County Schools SmartARTS program. Our theatre artist, Mrs. Judy Klein, is from the Metropolitan Arts Council in downtown Greenville. She often performs at local theaters in Greenville. We look forward to our students deepening their understanding through this experience!
Real Men Read!
Oakview Elementary School is hosting a Real Men Read Week in the Media Center April 18-22. We are looking for men who are interested in reading to a kindergarten, first grade, or second grade class. Having male readers demonstrates to students that reading is not just a “girl” thing, shows young people that men value education, and encourages and improves literacy skills of our students. If you are interested in reading to a class for approximately 20 minutes, please click here.
SC Ready and SC PASS Testing
Students in third, fourth, and fifth grades in South Carolina will take a new statewide assessment, the SC READY. Students in those grades will take English Language Arts (ELA) and Mathematics tests. Additionally, students in fourth and fifth grades will take the SCPASS Science and Social Studies tests. The SC READY and SCPASS tests are untimed tests and are aligned to state standards and what is taught in your child’s classroom. All students at Oakview Elementary are participating in the paper/pencil testing.
SC READY - ELA Session 1 (3rd, 4th, 5th)
Tuesday, April 26
SC READY - ELA Session 2 (3rd, 4th, 5th)
Wednesday, April 27
SC READY – Mathematics (3rd, 4th, 5th)
Thursday, April 28
SCPASS - Science (4th, 5th)
Wednesday, May 11
SCPASS Social Studies (4th, 5th)
Thursday, May 12
In order to provide the quietest and best testing environment for the students, parents and volunteers are not allowed in the building each day until testing is over. If you are scheduled to volunteer on a day of testing, please call the school office at 355-7113 to make sure we have the all clear for the completion of testing.
To ensure that the students perform to the best of their ability, we need your assistance with the following:
· See that your child gets plenty of rest on the nights before these tests.
· Make sure your child eats a nourishing breakfast on the mornings of these tests.
· Make every effort to have your child in school on testing days. We have a limited makeup schedule, so it is important that your child is present each day.
· Have your child at school on time. Although testing will not begin until 8:30 AM, there are many things teachers and students have to do each morning before testing. If children arrive after testing has begun, they will go to the library and stay there until testing is over for the day. Then, they will participate in makeup testing on another day.
· Have your child bring two #2 pencils to use for marking test documents.
· Make sure your child wears comfortable clothing and leaves watches and other items that may be distracting at home.
· Students are not allowed to bring any electronic device to school on testing days.
· If your child has a doctor’s appointment on a testing day, please try to reschedule it.
PTA President's Report - Celeste Blinston
Happy Spring! It's hard to believe that the school year is coming to a close and that summer will be here before you know it! I am traveling to Charleston later this week to attend the 93rd SCPTA Annual Convention! I am very excited to announce that Oakview will be receiving many State PTA awards. Two of them are especially exciting. Please join me in congratulating Sallie Sexton for being selected as the finalist for Outstanding Principal of the Year and Karissa Page for being selected as the winner for Outstanding Teacher of the Year! Oakview also has a number of students that participated in Reflections that are heading down to the Convention to receive awards. I look forward to announcing any additional awards that Oakview receives this weekend in our next ACORN.
As always, please do not hesitate to let me know if I can answer any questions or be of assistance. firstname.lastname@example.org